Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I lived in a HOA community, but never more. HOA's should have written constitutions that limit their authority to just the common areas, like playgrounds, pool, security, etc... They should have no authority whatsoever over the house that you bought with your own money.

If you have any complaints from misappropriation of funds to other things, the only governing agency that has jurisdiction over HOA's in the Commonwealth is the Attorney General. Speaking of misappropriation of funds, that should be a criminal matter, but they are all inter-connected up here.

If there is any huge assessment of liability to the property owners, the cost goes to each individual homeowner. Where we live now, the Board went out and bought guns for the security over a year ago. Never asked the property owners what they wanted, then found out the insurance would not cover them had they had guns. Seen it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
If you have any complaints from misappropriation of funds to other things, the only governing agency that has jurisdiction over HOA's in the Commonwealth is the Attorney General. Speaking of misappropriation of funds, that should be a criminal matter, but they are all inter-connected up here.

If there is any huge assessment of liability to the property owners, the cost goes to each individual homeowner. Where we live now, the Board went out and bought guns for the security over a year ago. Never asked the property owners what they wanted, then found out the insurance would not cover them had they had guns. Seen it all!
Actually I dont think thats true. There was a vote about the guns and it was voted down. Maybe they had bought them already ; dont know about that, but we did have a vote.

The only thing I didnt like was the killing of deer without a vote. Some people were fed up of the deer eating flowers so there was a huge ; I mean huge killing of the deer. I may be incorrect, but what I did hear was that 100 deer were killed at $1000 a deer. That was outrageous and the lack of deer is so evident. I loved having the deer roaming thru my yard.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Actually I dont think thats true. There was a vote about the guns and it was voted down. Maybe they had bought them already ; dont know about that, but we did have a vote.

The only thing I didnt like was the killing of deer without a vote. Some people were fed up of the deer eating flowers so there was a huge ; I mean huge killing of the deer. I may be incorrect, but what I did hear was that 100 deer were killed at $1000 a deer. That was outrageous and the lack of deer is so evident. I loved having the deer roaming thru my yard.

Actually, it is true. WLE went out and bought the guns without asking the membership for their input one way or another. A group of mostly full timers got together and took up a collection to obtain the services of an attorney to get a petition signed and overturn with the Board did. In addition, to the purchase of the weapons, they also said that the State Police and the Sheriff's Department had backed their decision, when in fact, it was not true.

Regarding the deer, they also did this without telling the property owners and what was very upsetting was some of the pictures that we saw with blood and guts near houses. And, the biggest issue is the folks who just do not get it about feeding the deer.

As far as the guns go, there was only a vote after the people here got the petition, prior to that, the guns were purchased.

Have a Nice Day.........

Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
It does pay to have "Loss Assessment" in your home owners policy. This way if say all the condo buildings needed a new roof...( or whatever) your cost will be paid from your policy.
It also pays to have a type of liability insurance if you are on a board of a community. If something goes wrong "You" will be sued.
I have seen this happen in our own family. An example is if all the roofing warps......the new board will come to the old board members and say........" Why didn't you know that?"
" Why didn't you?" even though you were only the secretary of the association.
Then you get sued....for not having that knowledge. The builder has since left town and went bankrupt. What happens is "you" have to have your policy covering you...( in this case she had an old homeowners policy that did have that coverage.....keep those old policies on hand.)
There was a lot of out of pocket expenses, into the thousands.

Personally, I have found that not attending the meetings was a good thing. Just sitting back and watching two sides go at it was so difficult.
Watching the board president of our association (in PA) be rude to a woman who asked a normal question ..........
It became a matter of what was the best thing to do for ones peace of mind.
We no longer attended the meetings, we could now just read what was what in the Newsletters.

I now feel a community can be a good place to live. Nice lakes, pools, cookouts, and functions......
But, after being in a few .......I think, just enjoy those things and let the politics be something someone else deals with. It backfires way to often........

I've seen people learn this the hard way.......and so I thought it pays to know and beware.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
It does pay to have "Loss Assessment" in your home owners policy. This way if say all the condo buildings needed a new roof...( or whatever) your cost will be paid from your policy.
It also pays to have a type of liability insurance if you are on a board of a community. If something goes wrong "You" will be sued.
I have seen this happen in our own family. An example is if all the roofing warps......the new board will come to the old board members and say........" Why didn't you know that?"
" Why didn't you?" even though you were only the secretary of the association.
Then you get sued....for not having that knowledge. The builder has since left town and went bankrupt. What happens is "you" have to have your policy covering you...( in this case she had an old homeowners policy that did have that coverage.....keep those old policies on hand.)
There was a lot of out of pocket expenses, into the thousands.

Personally, I have found that not attending the meetings was a good thing. Just sitting back and watching two sides go at it was so difficult.
Watching the board president of our association (in PA) be rude to a woman who asked a normal question ..........
It became a matter of what was the best thing to do for ones peace of mind.
We no longer attended the meetings, we could now just read what was what in the Newsletters.

I now feel a community can be a good place to live. Nice lakes, pools, cookouts, and functions......
But, after being in a few .......I think, just enjoy those things and let the politics be something someone else deals with. It backfires way to often........

I've seen people learn this the hard way.......and so I thought it pays to know and beware.

Summering, I tried to rep you, but it will not let me. You phrased this very well.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I dont get involved. Maybe its a stupid idea but I like to read and if i need to know I will ask others who live there also.

I work with many people who are on boards and sometimes I think the power goes to their heads.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 AM

No dorothy.......Its not a stupid idea. I have seen over the years that the meetings whether in NJ or PA were just a slam fest. Some very, nice, polite people were laughed at. I've seen that in the long run whatever the board wants it will get anyway.....you being there or not.
Save your soul the stress of having to endure the fighting at these meetings.
And yes, there is always someone who is in charge who now thinks he is the President of the United States. Strutting around and speaking with mighty tones........( quite laughable)
The power does go to their heads.
Having to watch a family member be sued by the new board for not knowing the plywood was inferior and would warp in time........was heartbreaking.
Those poor members having to use their own funds to defend themselves.
The roofer never having to show up because he was bankrupt and out of state.......gone!
That took over three years of letters and sadness.....That old insurance policy did help defend her.
Tucked away on a page was a paragraph that stated they would defend you for any charges...( in other words)
You know when your home with two new babies and trying to make a go of it in a newly purchased home ..........you need not have this type of surprise enter your environment.
In another note.......all those townhome owners had to pay an assessment to have new roofing material and shingles replaced on all the buildings. That is where the assessment insurance comes in handy.
I myself had to pay an assessment in Penn Estates for the Sewer improvements.....

As far as those boards go........After the one lady was attacked ( with mean words) I just gave up and said no more of that. Just leave it to the wheelers and dealers......I was done.

Life needs to be peaceful and enriched.......that was just not going to happen going to the club.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
No dorothy.......Its not a stupid idea. I have seen over the years that the meetings whether in NJ or PA were just a slam fest. Some very, nice, polite people were laughed at. I've seen that in the long run whatever the board wants it will get anyway.....you being there or not.
Save your soul the stress of having to endure the fighting at these meetings.
And yes, there is always someone who is in charge who now thinks he is the President of the United States. Strutting around and speaking with mighty tones........( quite laughable)
The power does go to their heads.
Having to watch a family member be sued by the new board for not knowing the plywood was inferior and would warp in time........was heartbreaking.
Those poor members having to use their own funds to defend themselves.
The roofer never having to show up because he was bankrupt and out of state.......gone!
That took over three years of letters and sadness.....That old insurance policy did help defend her.
Tucked away on a page was a paragraph that stated they would defend you for any charges...( in other words)
You know when your home with two new babies and trying to make a go of it in a newly purchased home ..........you need not have this type of surprise enter your environment.
In another note.......all those townhome owners had to pay an assessment to have new roofing material and shingles replaced on all the buildings. That is where the assessment insurance comes in handy.
I myself had to pay an assessment in Penn Estates for the Sewer improvements.....

As far as those boards go........After the one lady was attacked ( with mean words) I just gave up and said no more of that. Just leave it to the wheelers and dealers......I was done.

Life needs to be peaceful and enriched.......that was just not going to happen going to the club.

Dorothy is right on this. The power does go to some of their heads. Also, some of them and some residents think they have more rights because they have been in the community longer. When you ask questions, they take offense to things. Well, if everything was on the up and up - then it would out there in the open fair and square. We all lived in other places where people got along fine without HOA's.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM

I can hardly believe that I am enjoying my freedom now........but to have a lake........I have to go back to an HOA.
All I can say is if I do this. I will move there, obey rules and regulations......but......
I won't attend any meetings or get into the politics of it.
I have enjoyed my space with no HOA peaking around every corner. I felt free and in my own space.
But, a lake will be calling me soon....I just know it.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 PM

212 posts, read 502,404 times
Live next to us summer!

Quote:
I can hardly believe that I am enjoying my freedom now........but to have a lake........I have to go back to an HOA.
All I can say is if I do this. I will move there, obey rules and regulations......but......
I won't attend any meetings or get into the politics of it.
I have enjoyed my space with no HOA peaking around every corner. I felt free and in my own space.
But, a lake will be calling me soon....I just know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania