Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM

325 posts, read 806,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
I would have to think that the city could operate the zoo just as well on the 60k a year they already spend. Granted, they would need to find their own animals, but they would undoubtedly also have fewer ones to feed and care for, reducing costs.

You would need a director and probably two assistants, so there is a cost involved there. Let's say with pay and benefits, maybe 90-100k for all three? So figure 160k a year total, then subtract any in-kind donations, you're probably looking at 90-110k to operate.

Think it's worth it?
I think it's pretty hard to make cost estimates before deciding exactly what sort of facility you are putting together and how many and what kind of animals it will have. However, no matter what it costs, if it is a well-run place, then it should be able to get some grant money from sources other than the city. And if it is a well-run place, I think it would get more public donations and that it wouldn't lose volunteers like the one who walked out fearing for her safety.

As I've said before, if it were up to me, I'd focus on education, have only a small number of animals, and make sure all of them are happy in NEPA's climate (which is better for the animals and which reduces costs). Also, I'd try to tie the center to the rest of the park in some way (maybe have programs that included nature walks on the park's trails, educational programs for kids to teach them about the behavior of local animals, have the public participate in counts of wild animals and birds living in the park, etc.).

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs7 View Post
I think it's pretty hard to make cost estimates before deciding exactly what sort of facility you are putting together and how many and what kind of animals it will have. However, no matter what it costs, if it is a well-run place, then it should be able to get some grant money from sources other than the city. And if it is a well-run place, I think it would get more public donations and that it wouldn't lose volunteers like the one who walked out fearing for her safety.

As I've said before, if it were up to me, I'd focus on education, have only a small number of animals, and make sure all of them are happy in NEPA's climate (which is better for the animals and which reduces costs). Also, I'd try to tie the center to the rest of the park in some way (maybe have programs that included nature walks on the park's trails, educational programs for kids to teach them about the behavior of local animals, have the public participate in counts of wild animals and birds living in the park, etc.).
Just wanted to add that the animal facility could also, potentially, tie in with some of the displays at the museum, with "picnic days" at the park, etc. The idea would be to provide the public with various pleasant, inexpensive ways to spend entire afternoons enjoying their park. (As things stand now, there are a lot of folks who feel that the city is spending $50,000 a year to support an animal facility that actually detracts from the rest of the park. Just the number of people who have complained about the smell at the GWC would be a problem, even if there were nothing else wrong at the GWC--and there are a lot of other things wrong there.)

Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs7 View Post
Environmental / Nature education is lacking and desperately needed right now. People do not preserve that which they do not know. I wish there were more facilities that recognize this and did it in a good way. MBS7, if you haven't already read it, you may be interested in reading Last Child In the Woods by Richard Louv. My dream job is to work in an organization that does environmental education. My old organization was awesome, they actually took kids into the field to conduct surveys and take water chemical measurements and the like. We combined science and nature and had experienced biologists work with teachers to conduct experiments. Even art and English teachers got involved, taking kids to scenic places to inspire posters, poems and stories.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Environmental / Nature education is lacking and desperately needed right now. People do not preserve that which they do not know. I wish there were more facilities that recognize this and did it in a good way. MBS7, if you haven't already read it, you may be interested in reading Last Child In the Woods by Richard Louv. My dream job is to work in an organization that does environmental education. My old organization was awesome, they actually took kids into the field to conduct surveys and take water chemical measurements and the like. We combined science and nature and had experienced biologists work with teachers to conduct experiments. Even art and English teachers got involved, taking kids to scenic places to inspire posters, poems and stories.
I haven't read that book, but I will take a look at it. Thanks!

What you are describing is exactly the sort of thing that should be going on at Nay Aug instead of the unfortunate situation they have at the GWC, in which a bunch of kids (and adults) walk through an unsafe building, stare at animals crowded into antiquated cages, and get a lot of incorrect and/or misleading information from the poorly trained staff and volunteers. (Although, I should say that I do realize that a lot of the volunteers at the GWC mean well. I just wish their time and efforts were being put to much better use.)

Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Default Times/Trib editorial: "Close ‘zoo’ at Nay Aug"

The Monday, March 9, Scranton Times/Tribune ran an editorial about the Genesis Wildlife Center. To read the editorial, go to:

Close ‘zoo’ at Nay Aug | Editorial | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://scrantontimes.com/articles/2009/03/09/editorial/sc_times_trib.20090309.a.pg10.tt09edit1_s1.2356399 _edi.txt#blogcomments - broken link)

Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times
Yeah, I saw it early this morning, can't believe it took this long to get posted on here.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Some of us could care, implosion is eminent. Just sitting back and watching is fun and relaxing.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Yeah, I saw it early this morning, can't believe it took this long to get posted on here.
Sorry--I guess I'm getting old and slowing up.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM

There is another letter on this topic in the Times/Tribune today. This time it's from the GWC's Joanna Sorrento, who writes:

"Editor: In reply to Beatrice Heveran’s Feb. 18 letter, I am sorry she did not feel safe with the big cats at Genesis Wildlife Center. Marge Miller is trained in the care of exotic animals, and knows her animals very well. If there was a danger, Ms. Heveran would not have been allowed in the area. Dealing with animals requires someone with a heightened sense of awareness and the ability to think and react accordingly. If fear is what Ms. Heveran experienced, she is not well-suited for that kind of work."

That's right: the whole idea is not to be afraid, and that will definitely, positively, keep you safe from death by tiger. No need to close the gate that keeps the tiger in the pen. Anyway, I won't go on ranting and raving. My main purpose for posting this is to point out that, given the renewed interest in this matter, this might be a good time for those who are concerned about animal care and/or public safety at the Genesis Wildlife Center to write a letter to the editor and/or to Mayor Doherty expressing their concerns.

To see the rest of Ms. Sorrento's letter, go to:
Your Opinion | Editorial | Letters | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://scrantontimes.com/articles/2009/03/13/editorial/letters/sc_times_trib.20090313.a.pg12.tt13letters_s1.23674 22_let.txt - broken link)

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 14,936 times
Wink Lack of Knowledge

I had left "you" people to your own devices in your little world to continue to throw stones at Genesis. Somewhere in a great book someone said something about "Let him without sin cast the first stone".
MBS7 has a lot to say, but always conditionally. I am not sure,maybe,I don't know about tax forms, all of these are most certainly true,you don't know ANYTHING about Genesis' finances or the conditions at the Center.
The Federal Government has stated we are a non-profit organization. The Federal Government has inspected our facility, the State Government has inspected our facility and they have stated it meets all codes and regulations concering the safety of the public and the well being of our guests.
That is not enough for you who wish your pound of flesh. Be careful what you wish for you may get it.
None, I mean none of you nay sayers have the faintest idea what transpires on a day to day basis at our center.
The truth is Ms. Miller does donate most of the money used to fund our shelter and we do not make a profit at all. Far,far from it.
Before you put anything to writing please make certain of your facts or do we go back to the days of Yellow Journalism. None of you have verified any of your statements and fill you diatribes with misstatements,half truths and out and out nonsense.
Please don't write back regarding this as it is my first and last journey to the fantasy world. I have a life and I choose to do the best with it that I can and not denegrate the good things in this City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania