Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times

Advertisements

Then you are denying a surplus of 100k+? One of the main reasons why you may see negative comments is that, without fail, answers are never provided by Genesis, just more negative comments. You say we don't know anything about the finances or conditions at Genesis, so why not educate us? How about hard facts instead of general statements? I have no problem being a supporter, but we need something to support, not the attitude. Take away the mystery and maybe you'll get some understanding. Is the center moving toward AZA standards? If not, then why?

Really, it's the gruff attitude that's hurting Genesis more than anything. Might be time to start doing PR and not PO work. A highlight from the "ideas for projects you would like to see in NEPA" article on scrantontimes.com:
Quote:
Barry Gilhooley, Scranton

What other regional projects, funded with stimulus package funds or otherwise, would you like to see completed?

The closure or complete renovation of The Genesis Wildlife Center at Nay Aug Park in Scranton.

Last edited by scrantonluna; 04-01-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM

325 posts, read 806,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Then you are denying a surplus of 100k+? One of the main reasons why you may see negative comments is that, without fail, answers are never provided by Genesis, just more negative comments. You say we don't know anything about the finances or conditions at Genesis, so why not educate us? How about hard facts instead of general statements? I have no problem being a supporter, but we need something to support, not the attitude. Take away the mystery and maybe you'll get some understanding. Is the center moving toward AZA standards? If not, then why?

Really, it's the gruff attitude that's hurting Genesis more than anything. Might be time to start doing PR and not PO work. A highlight from the "ideas for projects you would like to see in NEPA" article on scrantontimes.com:

I agree that a better attitude from those at the GWC would be extremely helpful. And I also agree that the GWC--indeed every animal facility--should be accredited. The USDA standards are extremely minimal--many consider them to be outdated and substandard, in light of modern knowledge about animal behavior and health.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM

professionalism /prəˈfɛʃənlˌɪzəm/ [pruh-fesh-uh-nl-iz-uhm]
–noun
1.professional character, spirit, or methods.
2.the standing, practice, or methods of a professional, as distinguished from an amateur.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
professionalism /prəˈfɛʃənlˌɪzəm/ [pruh-fesh-uh-nl-iz-uhm]
–noun
1.professional character, spirit, or methods.
2.the standing, practice, or methods of a professional, as distinguished from an amateur.
And also,

3. The missing element at the GWC.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Just wanted to post that our red headed, half-sister site, which a much more negative view of Scranton and NEPA, has a mention of the center being closed and the animals to be euthanized.

For those who caught it, I had a post up last week after I had heard rumblings of the center closing. The post was pulled after I could find no proof to substantiate it. This would seem to add credence to my post.

What options are there other than to have the animals euthanized? Could they possibly be placed elsewhere? While closing the center may be a good move, euthanizing the animals would probably be political suicide. However, being relocated to another Genesis site isn't the best either.

Right now the city dumps 60k a year into the center - could a person be hired for that amount of money who could oversee the current staff?

I don't see any reason to euthanize the animals if they are in good enough health and can be transferred elsewhere, even at a cost to the taxpayer or through fund raising efforts.

There is also the chance that we are getting bits and pieces of this story, with the city making a decision to boot the center from Nay Aug, and the center staff holding the animals hostage under the threat of euthanasia in a ploy to hold their ground and stir up political hay.

I feel that if the zoo were under better management, and run in a competent manner, not jam packed with animals who are allowed to breed, that the public would come away with a much more favorable impression. I would hate to see these animals die because of a couple people with poor PR skills and questionable practices.

Consider this an official plea to the city, requesting that the animals be bought from Genesis, and that a staff of trained individuals be hired to oversee operations. The zoo stock can then be thinned out, and over time, upgrades can be made and a solid footing created to make the zoo a more pleasant and profitable experience.

Any chance it could be used as a veterinary clinic? Can't imagine there are too many places in the area where students get to work with exotic animals.

Last edited by scrantonluna; 04-03-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to post that our red headed, half-sister site, which a much more negative view of Scranton and NEPA, has a mention of the center being closed and the animals to be euthanized.

For those who caught it, I had a post up last week after I had heard rumblings of the center closing. The post was pulled after I could find no proof to substantiate it. This would seem to add credence to my post.

What options are there other than to have the animals euthanized? Could they possibly be placed elsewhere? While closing the center may be a good move, euthanizing the animals would probably be political suicide. However, being relocated to another Genesis site isn't the best either.

Right now the city dumps 60k a year into the center - could a person be hired for that amount of money who could oversee the current staff?

I don't see any reason to euthanize the animals if they are in good enough health and can be transferred elsewhere, even at a cost to the taxpayer or through fund raising efforts.

There is also the chance that we are getting bits and pieces of this story, with the city making a decision to boot the center from Nay Aug, and the center staff holding the animals hostage under the threat of euthanasia in a ploy to hold their ground and stir up political hay.

I feel that if the zoo were under better management, and run in a competent manner, not jam packed with animals who are allowed to breed, that the public would come away with a much more favorable impression. I would hate to see these animals die because of a couple people with poor PR skills and questionable practices.

Consider this an official plea to the city, requesting that the animals be bought from Genesis, and that a staff of trained individuals be hired to oversee operations. The zoo stock can then be thinned out, and over time, upgrades can be made and a solid footing created to make the zoo a more pleasant and profitable experience.

Any chance it could be used as a veterinary clinic? Can't imagine there are too many places in the area where students get to work with exotic animals.
As we've noted here in past discussions, the animals belong to the GWC, not the city. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. If the animals still belong to the GWC, then I don't think that any plan to transfer or euthanize the animals could take place without the GWC's approval.

Initially, I was motivated to research the GWC issue by my concerns for the animals, and I would still be very, very happy if they could be moved to better homes, but I do not know if that is in any way a viable plan. Currently, my primary concern re the GWC is the safety of the center's staff and visitors. I remain unconvinced that the staff at the center takes proper precautions with potentially dangerous animals (like the tigers), and I also worry about the safety of the old zoo building, in which far too many animals are housed in far too small a space. As I have said many times before, I think it was incredibly irresponsible for Margaret Miller to add two tigers to an already overcrowded center. Instead of figuring out how to add still more animals, she should have been figuring out how to place existing animals in better homes.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 PM

How the heck would you even lobby to save the animals, but close the center?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
How the heck would you even lobby to save the animals, but close the center?
You're right--it is a terrible problem.

No one wants to see the animals euthanized, least of all me. But I also don't want to see more animals added to the center and I certainly don't want to see a human being get hurt at the center. I think a lot really depends on the GWC itself. It's time for them to start acting professionally. (Actually it's long past time.)

I don't know exactly what to make of these "rumblings" of the GWC closing. Whether the GWC stays open or not, if the animals are to have decent lives, then I think that most (or all) of them will have to be placed elsewhere. Since most accredited animal facilities probably do not have the ability to take in a lot of new animals, placing the GWC's animals would be no easy task. Personally, I think an attempt should be made. But I do not know if the GWC would cooperate with such an attempt. And if the attempt is made, it should be overseen by someone with the proper training and experience to do the job right--these animals should not be placed in some other, substandard facility. That probably means that someone with the proper expertise would have to be hired (which brings up the question of funding).

The underlying problem in this whole matter is that the USDA laws governing animal care in this country are too lax; if there were stricter regulations, the GWC would not have been permitted to acquire so many animals in the first place, or to house them in an antiquated facility. As sad as this situation is, there are many others as bad and worse all over the country. This is not just a matter of humane treatment for animals, but also of public safety. The sooner the USDA regs are tightened up, the better for all concerned.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 PM

35 posts, read 49,999 times
You don't want to see these animals killed... well that's what will happen to most of them. They came from zoos that didn't want them any more or places that exploited them for there own purposes. You don't realize what this woman was promised by the city 6 yrs ago. The Mayor told her to go ahead and get these tigers after Reba died. They received so many cards and letters from schools that love coming to the center a few times during there school year. If the schools didn't think it was safe they wouldn't come.
They don't breed there animals at GWC a lot of them are fixed or are to old. You can keep different species in the same cages, and as far as over crowed ones where, which ones? The game commission regulates how many can be placed with GWC. For the shape that building is in I think they do a great job. The city dosen't give everthing what about food, vet bills, cleaning supplies,workmens comp does any of this matter. There has to be some people at the center everyday 7 days a week even holidays. The animals are taken care of every day.
They have had people go off and become veterinarians after Margie's teaching them. This center has a lot to offer students, interns and just the public itself.
When they are open to the public the doors are locked to the public. The monkey doors and the cat doors yes I said doors are closed and locked.
People go out and buy these expensive birds and then the birds become to loud and what do they do, cover them the majority of the time and the bird becomes physilogically scared and starts plucking it's feathers out. What do they do next get rid of the bird, why not its just expendable.
It seems so easy to sit back and complain about this place like there is nothing else to do. Your worried about the public safety and the people who work there. Precautions are taken weather you want to see it or not you have to figure that some people just take chances even out of stupidity and those are not ones that stay at GWC. There are things that happen at other places that are so well defined in there building and have everything just so but if you have a stupid person there that doesn't follow protocol whose fault is it really.
As far as that Beatrice not feeling safe well I don't know what her problem is but I know for a fact that she was not in the cage with those tigers and there was a locked gate between her and them. Margie talked with her for over an hour taking her through the center. With her being some lawyer you would think that she would want to help not tear the place apart....

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM

35 posts, read 49,999 times
I forgot to mention that if they had gotten this new building then they could have been accredited but when you have the people who promissed you things goes back on there word what can you do but make the best of what you have she has nowhere to go because she gave up her old buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania