Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times

Advertisements

$20 says Miller euthanizes the animals rather than give them up....

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
I don't usuallt take a losing bet......Your right though....This is bad for the center and bad for the mayor. It blew up in both of their faces and honestly they get what they deserve for getting in bed together......Miller should have known better to go into this without a conttact and Doherty should have known that this wouldn't make it....BUT I think he thought he was going to be somewhere in Harrisburg or DC at this point and isn't.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:45 AM

The sad thing is that this could have been a win-win situation, and the fact that is has not been, will probably put the last nail in the coffin of the Nay Aug Zoo.

I just hope they allow the animals to be placed in other facilities.

The right people could have made this work - the entire rear of the building could have been used for a big cat habitat, with a couple primates in the front, and that's it. No fish, no turtles, no birds, no alligators, just two cats, 2-3 monkeys, and two big enclosures. Might have cost what, 100-150k to fence it all in? After a couple years they could have even added water features. It still would not have been ideal, but it would have been humane, and maybe even an enriching experience for the people of Scranton under the right management. As it stands now, my house cats have more room than the big cats at Genesis, and they even get to go outside and play in the grass in warmer weather.

Take a look at the Seneca Park Zoo in NY - they started with a building virtually identical to the Nay Aug Zoo. Through years of hard work, proper planning and management, they have flourished. Too bad Genesis did not have the patience, skills, or foresight to take proper advantage of a good opportunity.

Is it even legal to take a capuchin monkey to a council meeting?

Last edited by scrantonluna; 04-08-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Why not, there are already a few monkeys on council, whats one more in the building.

How do the finances in Seneca look compared to our broke as a joke city here in Scranton? Remember that our finances just do not allow us to maintain or fund any type of structure in the former zoo location. Also try and stop comparing this any zoo because it is not and will never be a zoo and I think that it needs to perfectly clear that this is not a zoo nor is it a city run organization. Its a shelter for animals.

There is no contract(HUGE MISTAKE ON THE PART OF THE GWC) and because of that there is no obligation from the city to be more involved then it is and nothing holding them to their current level of involvement.

This is an animal rescue and should housed in a private facility in a rural area, not in Nay Aug.

Obviously there is a surplus so why not use that money to look for a new location?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

Obviously there is a surplus so why not use that money to look for a new location?

Because then they cannot rape the public and the city for funding if they are not in Nay Aug. I think we have just about proven that the 50k a year from the city covers their operating costs, and may even surpass them. What happens with the surplus if they are shuttered? 126k makes for a nice retirement package....

They already gave their list of reasons why they animals will not be relocated - the receiving centers must 'meet their approval,' and one wants Miller to sign an agreement that she will never again own a big cat. She will not sign and they will find fault with every facility interested in taking the animals.

NO WHERE ELSE will they get the support that the city has given them. That is why there is no mention of relocating.

Last edited by scrantonluna; 04-08-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM

I would like to publicly apologize for my insults towards any monkey in the GWC and the comparison to members of council. Its obvious after watching the replay today that the council members are by no means as smart as the monkeys nor as understanding. Again to the monkeys I say I am sorry.........

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
What happens with the surplus if they are shuttered? 126k makes for a nice retirement package....

Sorry, I just took a look back, and I believe it was actually one hundred and EIGHTY six thousand dollars, and that was from 2007, so it could be even more now.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM

325 posts, read 806,618 times
Quote:
$20 says Miller euthanizes the animals rather than give them up....
I certainly hope that you're wrong about that! As today's Times-Trib article indicates, there are reputable, accredited facilities that can offer the animals a much better home than they have ever had at the GWC. I hope that Margaret Miller will do the right thing, and let these animals go to facilities where they will finally have room to roam and adequate funding to provide for all of their needs.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 PM

35 posts, read 49,999 times
It's up to the veterinarian to say when to fix the animals and lemurs are endangered. Who gives you the right to say it's over crowded? The Game Commission didn't say it was.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 PM

35 posts, read 49,999 times
Quote:
The sad thing is that this could have been a win-win situation, and the fact that is has not been, will probably put the last nail in the coffin of the Nay Aug Zoo.

I just hope they allow the animals to be placed in other facilities.

The right people could have made this work - the entire rear of the building could have been used for a big cat habitat, with a couple primates in the front, and that's it. No fish, no turtles, no birds, no alligators, just two cats, 2-3 monkeys, and two big enclosures. Might have cost what, 100-150k to fence it all in? After a couple years they could have even added water features. It still would not have been ideal, but it would have been humane, and maybe even an enriching experience for the people of Scranton under the right management. As it stands now, my house cats have more room than the big cats at Genesis, and they even get to go outside and play in the grass in warmer weather.

Take a look at the Seneca Park Zoo in NY - they started with a building virtually identical to the Nay Aug Zoo. Through years of hard work, proper planning and management, they have flourished. Too bad Genesis did not have the patience, skills, or foresight to take proper advantage of a good opportunity.

Is it even legal to take a capuchin monkey to a council meeting?
The Genesis could not make any changes to the building it was up to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania