Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 11:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin' Scrannin' View Post
It's true that the historical definition of "marriage" excludes same-sex couples. However, the argument from history is not dispositive. Because something has always been one way does not argue conclusively for it always being that one way. It's persuasive, in some cases. But it's not dispositive. There should be actual substantive reasons for continuing a practice. After all, if you were being unfairly discriminated against, it isn't that forceful an argument to claim that the discrimination is justified "because it's always been that way."

Shirley Jackson's famous short story, "The Lottery," aptly, entertainingly, and chillingly illustrates the consequences of a town that blindly follows tradition.

Has anyone read it?

I have and ITA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Our country was founded on Christian beliefs. Our current leaders want to make this a secular country and want to take God out of the equation.
It is a secular country and God is "out of the equation". You want a theocracy, move to the Vatican.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
The cornerstone of this country's founding was the fact that it was founded on Christian belief's. Those same beliefs helped form our main values, morals, and folkways. We started as a Christian nation that welcomed all religious views, and ideas. This is what makes us free. It is not my job, nor anyone else's to judge the homosexual; but to stray away from our foundations will cause the establishment to crumble. it is not right to push such deviant behavior into the mainstream, we should protect our values. Most college age kids will tell you why gay marriage should be okay, the same kids who only think with common sense instead of conviction. Those same kids will also make excuses on why it is okay to kill a baby. The younger generation that has been sheltered, and mostly handed everything on a silver platter actually has no real concept of what America is really supposed to be. Sadly, they are ignorantly (and blindly) leading us right into the clutches of left wing ignorance!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
If you make the argument that one should marry whomever they happen to love, then should someone be able to practice polygamy? Marry their dog or cat? Hey...if that's who they truly love, then why not, right? Allowing marriage to those other than what marriage has traditionally been for centuries opens the door to all sorts of ridiculous scenarios.

Do you guys get your arguments from the same handbook or what?

Gays are two consenting human adults. And frankly, if more than two consenting human adults want to marry each other - more power to them.

I don't want to live in a Nanny state telling me who I can marry and who I can have sex with.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, it was not. Our founding fathers were deists. NOT Christians.

Founding Fathers Quotes - Christian Quotes of the Founding Fathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The cornerstone of this country's founding was the fact that it was founded on Christian belief's. Those same beliefs helped form our main values, morals, and folkways. We started as a Christian nation that welcomed all religious views, and ideas. This is what makes us free. It is not my job, nor anyone else's to judge the homosexual; but to stray away from our foundations will cause the establishment to crumble. it is not right to push such deviant behavior into the mainstream, we should protect our values. Most college age kids will tell you why gay marriage should be okay, the same kids who only think with common sense instead of conviction. Those same kids will also make excuses on why it is okay to kill a baby. The younger generation that has been sheltered, and mostly handed everything on a silver platter actually has no real concept of what America is really supposed to be. Sadly, they are ignorantly (and blindly) leading us right into the clutches of left wing ignorance!

Wow. Where to begin?

Basically here it is: the same arguments you are making against homosexual marriage are the same ones that were used against interracial marriage. Also, these arguments were used against allowing people to choose their partners.

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I was married in a suit and my wife wore a tan knee length dress. Marriage is not dependant on your wardrobe
ROFLMFAO!!!

My parents were married in the NYC courthouse downtown by a justice-of-the-peace. Now, was their marriage not recognized in the eyes of God?? I don't know...I'll have to ask the Lord when I see Him...

BUT

They enjoyed the LEGAL benefits of state (and federal) law. THAT"S what gays are fighting for...the LEGAL benefits, not anything with religious overtones of any belief system.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I don't want to live in a Nanny state telling me who I can marry and who I can have sex with.
Then like I said, you should support polygamy and one marrying their pets if they so desire.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
It is a secular country and God is "out of the equation". You want a theocracy, move to the Vatican.
There was an awful lot of talk about God from our founding fathers for this to be a secular nation.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Our Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians

Were the Founding Fathers Christian?

It is well-known FACT that Jefferson and Washington did NOT believe that Jesus Christ was the basis of their deistic religions. They made their own Bibles up for crying out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania