Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 10:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I've been watching a lot of Tom and Jerry on the Cartoon Network, and its funny how many times you'll see smoking....one scene I can think of is where Tom is about to get crushed by something falling from the sky, so he just stands there and blindfolds himself and lights a cigarette (his last cigarette I guess). But now its a major controversy to see smoking on any TV show, nevermind a cartoon. Actually kind of screwed up when you think about it, they can't show smoking on TV anymore, but all sorts of graphic sex, profanity, etc, is all over TV, even at hours when kids could see it. That's the result of the liberals taking over Hollywood, I guess.

I got one of my kids a Curious George book from the Osterhout and in it there is a picture of George sitting in a smoking jacket enjoying a cigar...lmfao.

Last edited by Magritte25; 07-10-2009 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Cuz I can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
Quote:
I've been watching a lot of Tom and Jerry on the Cartoon Network, and its funny how many times you'll see smoking....one scene I can think of is where Tom is about to get crushed by something falling from the sky, so he just stands there and blindfolds himself and lights a cigarette (his last cigarette I guess). But now its a major controversy to see smoking on any TV show, nevermind a cartoon. Actually kind of screwed up when you think about it, they can't show smoking on TV anymore, but all sorts of graphic sex, profanity, etc, is all over TV, even at hours when kids could see it. That's the result of the liberals taking over Hollywood, I guess.
Exactly. Welcome to the liberal media world where everything is biased.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM

LOL about the 'liberal' comments. Seems when you throw some people into the mix they just can't help but type in crap about liberals instead of keeping a nice conversation going. Wonder if Rangers and Phillies are married? :P

Old 07-10-2009, 10:33 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL about the 'liberal' comments. Seems when you throw some people into the mix they just can't help but type in crap about liberals instead of keeping a nice conversation going. Wonder if Rangers and Phillies are married? :P
We're not talking bad, just real. I'm not married but I believe phillies is and he has kids. I just can't stand watching the news or reading the paper because it seems everything has a liberal slant to it.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM

79 posts, read 150,242 times
Quote:
But now its a major controversy to see smoking on any TV show, nevermind a cartoon. Actually kind of screwed up when you think about it, they can't show smoking on TV anymore, but all sorts of graphic sex, profanity, etc, is all over TV, even at hours when kids could see it.
The horror.

People.... have.... sex? People... say... bad words? "Somebody call the police!"

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of fellow parents who whine and complain about their children learning about sex. You guys should just be honest with yourselves in that your opposition stems from your own embarrassment and awkwardness about the subject rather than on any effect this knowledge will have on your kids. Yet what's truly pernicious is to suggest that seeing a pair of boobs on television or hearing a bad word is more harmful than glamorizing tobacco use-- a truly deadly habit.

Some parents just have messed up priorities.

Quote:
That's the result of the liberals taking over Hollywood, I guess.
Hollywood is big business. Sex sells. It wouldn't be any different if Rupert Murdoch owned a movie studio.

Oh wait, he does, and it's not.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin' Scrannin' View Post
Yet what's truly pernicious is to suggest that seeing a pair of boobs on television or hearing a bad word is more harmful than glamorizing tobacco use-- a truly deadly habit.

Some parents just have messed up priorities.

Cheapening sex to be something casual and no big deal also can be deadly or carry some serious consequences. Ever hear of AIDS, among many other STDs? Or teen pregnancy?

And do you really want your kids running around cursing like sailors?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Cheapening sex to be something casual and no big deal also can be deadly or carry some serious consequences. Ever hear of AIDS, among many other STDs? Or teen pregnancy?

This is why I am glad that I don't depend on tv or movies to instill values in my children.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday my older one asked where babies came from and how they got in "mommy's tummy". I was straight with him. I also told him how they come out of the mommy's body.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 AM

79 posts, read 150,242 times
Quote:
I doubt there is a correlation between media depictions of sex and how often kids engage in sex.

Moreover, the same parents who seem seriously concerned enough about the consequences of sex to want to ban all depictions of sex in the media-- these same parents are typically against sex education for their children that is proven to reduce teenage pregnancies and transmission of stds. Instead they support ridiculous things like "abstinence only" education, which is proven to increase those things. Not all of them are in the same boat, though, so it would be unfair to lump all parents there. Just a side note.

Quote:
If they do, that's the parents' fault; not television.

It's been a while since I've been in school, but I remember hearing a lot worse on the playground than what they allow on television today. Kids can be brutal to each other. The fact is that no matter the source of where kids hear profanity, they need to be taught never to use it against their family or members of the community and so forth. It's up to parents to teach their kids how to treat other people-- first and foremost. I don't blame television or that foul-mouthed little Billy Zigler (names changed to protect the "innocent") or anyone else.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,240 times
Wow. Having a discussion with your child about what they saw or heard on TV....the novelty.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL about the 'liberal' comments.
LOL!! I know!! I have to laugh too!! The word "liberal" is thrown about like it's some kinda derogatory name calling, like bastard or ***** or conservative!!

Seems the schoolyard mindset hasn't matured yet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania