Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM

936 posts, read 2,398,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
According to Merriam-Webster:

Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

According to this definition, there are many bigots on this board, whether they are anti-gay, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic, etc. It seems the word "bigot" is used by many minority groups to describe anyone that doesn't agree with them, yet it also describes them in many cases.

IMO, there's a big wide world out there. If you hate where you live and feel you don't fit in, then make plans to find somewhere better and move there. Life is too short to spend it complaining and whining about everyone else not changing to meet your expectations of how things should be.

From Wikipedia:

A bigot (in modern usage) is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different ethnicity, race, or class.

You are right on target Greentown, rep for you!!

I dont agree with all that is said on here but I respect others opinions. Its something that people should learn to do.

Gay or Hetero its a choice and its a choice that we have as Americans. And as Americans everyone is entitled to the same advantages. Religion should not play a role on this topic.

Oh and by the way I have gay friends that are married and also have others that share the same medical insurance. And if they are in a lifelong commitment this is how it should be. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Maybe what you call apathy is actually the majority of people who LIKE their life just the way it is. Just because many do not share your viewpoint and agree with it doesn't mean that they are apathetic.

Disagreement isn't apathy.

Saying others should either shut up or leave and people should just "accept things the way they are" is, in fact, the definition of apathy.

Your life isn't affected by someone else's marriage. Not in the least bit.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:

IMO, there's a big wide world out there. If you hate where you live and feel you don't fit in, then make plans to find somewhere better and move there. Life is too short to spend it complaining and whining about everyone else not changing to meet your expectations of how things should be.
Aaahhh...I see......

Camp: Pa. pool turned away minority kids - USATODAY.com

So if these accusations are true, it's OK & those who think it's bad should just move??

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Disagreement isn't apathy.

Saying others should either shut up or leave and people should just "accept things the way they are" is, in fact, the definition of apathy.

Your life isn't affected by someone else's marriage. Not in the least bit.
I don't feel I'm a bigot and I never said you called me one. I don't hate anyone and if I don't agree with something or not tolerant of something, it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. I just don't like what the person is saying or doing, not the person. I also believe we shouldn't have apathy. I certainly have interest and concern about what is going on in this country today. I feel our society as a whole is decaying and we are shifting away from our morals and values each day.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I don't feel I'm a bigot and I never said you called me one. I don't hate anyone and if I don't agree with something or not tolerant of something, it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. I just don't like what the person is saying or doing, not the person. I also believe we shouldn't have apathy. I certainly have interest and concern about what is going on in this country today. I feel our society as a whole is decaying and we are shifting away from our morals and values each day.

Suffice it to say I disagree that society is decaying. I just don't like the "put up or shut up" philosophy many people in this area seem to subscribe to. (Not saying you do Rangers, but there are many others who do)

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Ed, this "shifting away" actually started in the late 50's & 60's. June Cleaver was ousted from the "American icon" status & Virginia Slims took over!!

I always get a chuckle outta this...mostly 'cause back then THEY WERE SERIOUS!!!

The Good Wife's Guide

Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Aaahhh...I see......

Camp: Pa. pool turned away minority kids - USATODAY.com

So if these accusations are true, it's OK & those who think it's bad should just move??

Yes, I guess so. Just like this poor family should probably also move:

Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family (http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html - broken link)

Funny thing is, did you see this story on any of the morning news shows? I have to wonder why there are two stories involving race issues, but only one is reported.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times
Quote:
Ed, this "shifting away" actually started in the late 50's & 60's. June Cleaver was ousted from the "American icon" status & Virginia Slims took over!!

I always get a chuckle outta this...mostly 'cause back then THEY WERE SERIOUS!!!

The Good Wife's Guide
Unfortunately, my husband still thinks some of the "Good Wife's Guide" is still supposed to be in effect! I'm slowly setting him straight.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, I guess so. Just like this poor family should probably also move:

Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family (http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html - broken link)

Funny thing is, did you see this story on any of the morning news shows? I have to wonder why there are two stories involving race issues, but only one is reported.

I did. And I've seen it on several message boards.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:

The Good Wife's Guide
What is even more hilarious is that before the "Cult of Domesticity" took over, women and housework were not inextricably linked. Another fine leftover from the Victorians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania