Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 05:00 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You could have dropped by to add something. After all, you started this thread that attracted throngs of people and veered WAY off-topic!
Now you see, this is the one thing I don't understand about CD. To me, yesterday's "debate" was ON topic to this thread. I've seen so many threads that are locked for "off-topic", when (to me), they were still ON topic...

This topic is about NEPA bigotry & racism. There IS anti-gay bigotry in NEPA. The posts all dealt with nuances of this one aspect of bigotry in an orderly & informative way. Why would it even be considered for closing? I saw no really bad bashing or flaming of another poster...

Am I just wearing too-rosy a colored glasses???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Now you see, this is the one thing I don't understand about CD. To me, yesterday's "debate" was ON topic to this thread. I've seen so many threads that are locked for "off-topic", when (to me), they were still ON topic...

This topic is about NEPA bigotry & racism. There IS anti-gay bigotry in NEPA. The posts all dealt with nuances of this one aspect of bigotry in an orderly & informative way. Why would it even be considered for closing? I saw no really bad bashing or flaming of another poster...

I don't get it either. I don't know what I'm allowed to say and what I'm not allowed to say.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, we do NOT need a theocracy or a state-run religion. That is UN-American.
You're not getting it. From the beginning, this country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs, with GOD being a very big factor in everything our Founding Fathers did. Like gophillies stated, our laws and government were based on the concept of GOD being the creator of the heavens and earth and everything was through HIM. They never called for a state-run religion. They just wanted everyone to believe in GOD in some way. I always tell people that it's not what religion you have, as long as you have a relationship with GOD and Jesus, that's all that matters.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 AM

172 posts, read 609,668 times
wikipedia is not the best location for finding accurate information.

The term separation of church and state came from a letter in which Thomas Jefferson wrote after his presidency. It was written to a church (can't remember where it was located) as a response to a letter they wrote to him asking for clarification on the issue of religion in America. I've read the letter several times, but am bad with quotes. In the letter, Jefferson basicly states that there should be a clear wall of separation between the church and state in order that the government does not set up a religous state (such as the Church of England, that so many fled in order to come to the colonies.) The quote is not in our constitution. In the many documents I've poured over written by our founding fathers, I have come to believe they established a government that gives the freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Just a note: Many of the documents I've reviewed use the word Providence when referencing God. George Washington in his writings, even as a young man, refers to God as Providence, as do John and Abigail Adams. Some writers of the 18th century use the word interchangably.

Last edited by RebelPhotog; 07-10-2009 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: to correct spelling

Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

According to Merriam-Webster:

Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

According to this definition, there are many bigots on this board, whether they are anti-gay, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic, etc. It seems the word "bigot" is used by many minority groups to describe anyone that doesn't agree with them, yet it also describes them in many cases.

IMO, there's a big wide world out there. If you hate where you live and feel you don't fit in, then make plans to find somewhere better and move there. Life is too short to spend it complaining and whining about everyone else not changing to meet your expectations of how things should be.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post

IMO, there's a big wide world out there. If you hate where you live and feel you don't fit in, then make plans to find somewhere better and move there. Life is too short to spend it complaining and whining about everyone else not changing to meet your expectations of how things should be.
If this isn't the very picture of the apathy that pervades our valley I don't what is....

Run away instead of fight? Accept things as they are? Sorry, I don't believe that.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You're not getting it. From the beginning, this country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs, with GOD being a very big factor in everything our Founding Fathers did. Like gophillies stated, our laws and government were based on the concept of GOD being the creator of the heavens and earth and everything was through HIM. They never called for a state-run religion. They just wanted everyone to believe in GOD in some way. I always tell people that it's not what religion you have, as long as you have a relationship with GOD and Jesus, that's all that matters.

They didn't want everyone to believe in God in the same way. Please show me where this is even insinuated or hinted at.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:24 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
They just wanted everyone to believe in GOD in some way.
NO. THEY. DID. NOT. They might have, but it didn't matter to them if anyone else did. Religious affiliation in any form seriously had nothing at all to do with their basis for a democratic government.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:24 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
If this isn't the very picture of the apathy that pervades our valley I don't what is....

Run away instead of fight? Accept things as they are? Sorry, I don't believe that.

Maybe what you call apathy is actually the majority of people who LIKE their life just the way it is. Just because many do not share your viewpoint and agree with it doesn't mean that they are apathetic.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:25 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
They didn't want everyone to believe in God in the same way. Please show me where this is even insinuated or hinted at.
I agree with you there. Another poster said they wanted a secular country and that's not true. They DID want people to believe in their own way. The FF way happened to be Judeo-Christian and that's how the country was founded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania