Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 12:49 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times

Advertisements

Well, I just used the EXpress lanes. My son had his twice-a-year visit to the pulmonologist in Fairfax. He had to work today also, so expediency was important.

At 12:15 we headed North and looked over at the southbound regular lanes. They were crawling from Newington down to Dale City. I thought, oh man, he's never getting back to work. It was a no-man's land in the HOT lanes but I do think they had just opened going south.

We left the doctor's office at about 1:30. Decided to use the lanes from Backlick area down to the PW Parkway. It cost me $4.60. It did save me a good amount of time due to the regular lanes being very, very slow.

What I was trying to figure out was if I didn't exit at PW Parkway, I could see that if I wanted to go to Stafford, it was going to cost me $6.00. I only saw that sign down near the Parkway so I couldn't figure out if my whole trip would have been $6.00 or if it was in addition to the $4.60 I was already paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,872,388 times
The problem is the three lanes go to two lanes then to one lane which changes into a bridge that goes over the existing three regular lanes you then have to merge with the regular lanes to get to the 143A/B exits.
It will be interesting to hear from anyone doing the hot lanes this first day that it is in effect for rush hour traffic.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:13 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What I was trying to figure out was if I didn't exit at PW Parkway, I could see that if I wanted to go to Stafford, it was going to cost me $6.00. I only saw that sign down near the Parkway so I couldn't figure out if my whole trip would have been $6.00 or if it was in addition to the $4.60 I was already paying.
It would have been in addition. I've been looking at the tolls and it's been about $10-11 for the full length from Garrisonville Rd to Edsall Road all day. Interestingly, it actually got more expensive after rush hour was over.

It's only going to get more expensive as people get used to it. I would probably just take the HOT lanes through the really congested areas and get back in the regular lanes when it opens back up. You can easily figure out the trouble spots with google maps on the iphone and the system allows you to go back and forth all day, although sometimes it's just bumper-to-bumper from the Beltway to Fredericksburg.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It would have been in addition. I've been looking at the tolls and it's been about $10-11 for the full length from Garrisonville Rd to Edsall Road all day. Interestingly, it actually got more expensive after rush hour was over.

It's only going to get more expensive as people get used to it. I would probably just take the HOT lanes through the really congested areas and get back in the regular lanes when it opens back up. You can easily figure out the trouble spots with google maps on the iphone and the system allows you to go back and forth all day, although sometimes it's just bumper-to-bumper from the Beltway to Fredericksburg.
I think that will be very expensive. Today, it was $4.20 to go from Rt. 1 in Woodbridge to PW Pkwy. That's 2 exits. Granted, that was the WORST part of the gridlock.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:25 PM

754 posts, read 1,740,721 times
Wow the cost of the hot lanes don't seem like a decent value for those considering using it daily.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
Wow the cost of the hot lanes don't seem like a decent value for those considering using it daily.
I can't imagine that anyone, realistically, could afford daily use. It was never proposed as a "value" either. The cost per mile will be at least what it is on 495 and it's not cheap. Only for people with money to throw away.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:24 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,108,829 times
From DC around 4pm, heading south on HOV/HOT lanes, regular lanes were very slow most of 395, which is usual. I really thought we'd see a big increase in traffic at Edsall and again from 495 but didn't. Even with the usual bottleneck at the Occoquan bridge, not a lot of people were jumping on 95 to avoid the slow traffic.

Cost at 4pm was $5 to go from beltway to hwy 123/ox road exit. I'll need to brush up on my road numbers since lots of the toll rates list a highway number and not the streets name. I don't recognize many of the highway numbers on the toll board and I've been here for years.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
From DC around 4pm, heading south on HOV/HOT lanes, regular lanes were very slow most of 395, which is usual. I really thought we'd see a big increase in traffic at Edsall and again from 495 but didn't. Even with the usual bottleneck at the Occoquan bridge, not a lot of people were jumping on 95 to avoid the slow traffic.

Cost at 4pm was $5 to go from beltway to hwy 123/ox road exit. I'll need to brush up on my road numbers since lots of the toll rates list a highway number and not the streets name. I don't recognize many of the highway numbers on the toll board and I've been here for years.
Haha. Right! We've been here 22 years and had never heard of "Turkeycock" before.

(Teehee. He said "Turkeycock". )

Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM

83 posts, read 129,119 times
We took them south only a short distance today (3ish) from their start on 395 and to get off at Old Keene Mill (we had been in the HOV on 395 from the DC line). I noticed quite a bit of cars getting off at the Edsall Rd ramp back onto regular 395 where it was already slow from the mixing bowl. I'm definitely curious about how much traffic gets thrown back into the main line in that kind of scenario. My sense is that once most people are back from vacation and things are normal in mid-January, mainline traffic is going to be dreadful until the # of users with new EZ-passes catch-up.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,407,173 times
I feel bad for people going to Stafford/Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania because no matter what time they leave, early or later, they're still gonna hit traffic. At 3 p.m. today Edsall to 234/Manassas exit was moving in the main lanes but beyond the 234 exit it was dead stop traffic until you got pass Fredericksburg and it was like this pretty much until about 7:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia