Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times

Advertisements

Back to original title of Thread . . . I just saw a Trump/Pence bus in Leesburg. Not sure, maybe they're just passing through . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:43 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Back to original title of Thread . . . I just saw a Trump/Pence bus in Leesburg. Not sure, maybe they're just passing through . . .
I think they still have speaking engagements, but their campaign support staff and volunteers are no longer present. Right?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,383,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I don't think Trump ever had the slightest desire to become President. It's just another in a long line of ego trips. I don't think he is even a Republican. And wasn't he a buddy of the Clintons for years? Could be a little deal they made...

Of course, it got real when he amazingly got the nomination. Somebody that actually wanted to win the Presidency would tone down the crazy rhetoric....he stepped it up. He wants to lose, IMO.

I believe the Donald will be a frequent visitor at the Clinton White House. She's going to owe him...big time!

Bingo! Hitlary HAS to win. She already has the White House pre-sold to foreign interests, defense contractors, and Wall Street. The Donald has had a long friendship with the Clintons, he was sure to win the GOP primaries with moderate and crossover Democrats. Just watch for him to be a frequent WH guest and see how many federal agencies start having their get-togethers at Trump properties.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,589 times
Trump still competing in Virginia | TheHill

Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 AM

173 posts, read 498,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I actually saw many attempts at it but no deals at all from a group of folks who wouldn't compromise one bit. Did you not see that? I think they did poor John Boehner in.
Last 8 years was "my way or highway". I remember in 2008 primaries one of my liberal friend said any politician coming out of Chicago will take the corruption to the lowest levels of bureaucracy. He was spot on. I wonder whom he is voting for this year.

On another note, I wonder how is everyone dealing with election talk this year with their friends and family. The best advice my wife gave me just don't talk about it, it's a secret vote anyways ;-)

Old 10-20-2016, 10:29 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,383,576 times
The one and only thing I like about Trump as an actual candidate is that he's not a corrupt Washington insider. Bernie has some of the same appeal, or at least tried to position himself that way. I think Hillary is corrupt to the core, she'll get things done with Republicans because they're all in on it and she knows how to grease the skids.

In the few instances that Obama couldn't get Republicans to join him, it was because he's a rigid ideologue, and his MO was to trash the opposition at every chance he got, then go ask them to deal with democrats and give him his way.

Sadly, there were a lot of good Republicans and Democrats running that would have been a credit to the country. Kooky as Bernie is, at least he's appealing and up until the whole fiasco of being paid off and bribed by the DNC after they stole the primary from him, I think most people viewed him as an honorable man with too much integrity for the job.

Jim Webb? Great guy. I think if the Democrat party had more Jim Webbs, they'd win every election for generations. Imagine how great this country would be if every election were between a Rand Paul or Marco Rubio type vs. a JFK Democrat like Webb.

As much as a boob Trump is, he still has a fighting chance against Hillary because she is quite easily the worst person to ever run for the job, and she's only there through fraud and malfeasance.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times
Just saw a news clip of Trump's OH rally -- new chant -- "Drain the Swamp".

That's going to play well in Peoria. (Groucho Marx for you young ones)

Old 10-20-2016, 12:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
The one and only thing I like about Trump as an actual candidate is that he's not a corrupt Washington insider. Bernie has some of the same appeal, or at least tried to position himself that way. I think Hillary is corrupt to the core, she'll get things done with Republicans because they're all in on it and she knows how to grease the skids.

In the few instances that Obama couldn't get Republicans to join him, it was because he's a rigid ideologue, and his MO was to trash the opposition at every chance he got, then go ask them to deal with democrats and give him his way.

Sadly, there were a lot of good Republicans and Democrats running that would have been a credit to the country. Kooky as Bernie is, at least he's appealing and up until the whole fiasco of being paid off and bribed by the DNC after they stole the primary from him, I think most people viewed him as an honorable man with too much integrity for the job.

Jim Webb? Great guy. I think if the Democrat party had more Jim Webbs, they'd win every election for generations. Imagine how great this country would be if every election were between a Rand Paul or Marco Rubio type vs. a JFK Democrat like Webb.

As much as a boob Trump is, he still has a fighting chance against Hillary because she is quite easily the worst person to ever run for the job, and she's only there through fraud and malfeasance.
I'm sure the last paragraph made you feel good to write, but at least by dint of prior experience Hillary Clinton is among the best qualified candidates (First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State) ever to run for the office, Trump is among the least qualified, and Trump stands to lose by a wide margin according to ever reputable poll.

As for Jim Webb, while it pains me to state this since we undoubtedly have some common Scots-Irish ancestors, he was a lackluster candidate and he increasingly appeals only to the same, declining demographic as Trump (just to their better instincts, as opposed to Trump, who appeals to their worse instincts).

Old 10-21-2016, 03:57 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
"The rebound varied by region and was non-existent in heavily Democratic Northern Virginia, where Clinton continued to gain. She leads there 57 percent to 21 percent.

Trump topped 50 percent for the first time in the state’s south and southwest regions, leading Clinton 51 to 30 percent in those rural and mountain areas.

“Clinton’s continued rise in Northern Virginia tells the larger story of political change in Virginia,” said Rachel Bitecofer, assistant director of the Wason Center. “Bluer and bluer voters in suburban Washington, and their like in Richmond and Hampton Roads, far outweigh rural voters’ preference for Trump.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...mepage%2Fstory

Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
...As for Jim Webb, while it pains me to state this since we undoubtedly have some common Scots-Irish ancestors, he was a lackluster candidate and he increasingly appeals only to the same, declining demographic as Trump (just to their better instincts, as opposed to Trump, who appeals to their worse instincts).
We're socially liberal on many things but really liked Webb. I even offered to help with the campaign--except there ended up not being a campaign to speak of. Although there may be some older, rural white voters who also liked Webb, I think most of the Trumpies would consider him a Washington insider (having been SECNAV before serving as senator) and too ready to forge compromises in the interest of getting things done.

Plus his wife is Asian American, so that would alienate about 20% of Donald's base right there.

As to Trump in VA, he's done. HRC is 12 points ahead here.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-21-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia