Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 02:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,383,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post

We spend $600 BILLION a year. More than the next 8 countries combined...yep, we are totally weak on national defense, that's the problem..rolls eyes...

U.S. defense spending compared to other countries | pgpf.org

Yep, we could easily cut the defense budget, by a lot. Bring our troops home, clean up the contracting process at DOD, end the war on drugs, and stop getting into hobbyist engagements like the Iraq war.

Work to keep the talent that our military has, let the dead weight that don't want to be there... go. They lower the morale of the good troops, and they in turn leave. Get the political money out.

See? We're not so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 02:18 PM

706 posts, read 1,312,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Yep, we could easily cut the defense budget, by a lot. Bring our troops home, clean up the contracting process at DOD, end the war on drugs, and stop getting into hobbyist engagements like the Iraq war.

Work to keep the talent that our military has, let the dead weight that don't want to be there... go. They lower the morale of the good troops, and they in turn leave. Get the political money out.

See? We're not so different.

Don't get me started on the War on Drugs and how it disproportionally targets minorities......

Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Powell didn't have to work very hard to get Hillary's vote. You can go to Youtube and find videos of her selling the war.

I wanted to go vote for Kerry, he just... I dunno. He voted for the war and it was a matter of days that he turned his back on it. A CIC has to have a spine, and his ideals seemed to be based on polling data. There were better candidates in 2004 that didn't make it. I liked Howard Dean but I think that he was taken out because he could have beaten Bush. Kerry was picked as a place-holder. He was a weak candidate. As for possibly picking McCain, I don't think that would have helped. I served with many guys that survived the Forrestal accident, they used to say had McCain not been captured, he would have been court martialed. So I never liked the guy even as everyone was hyping him up from both sides. His 2008 campaign vindicated my thoughts, and before he picked Palin I had people telling me I was nuts to support Obama because they thought he was just a kid... a rookie. I carried around a petition to have McCain recalled from the senate, I sure wasn't going to support him as president.

I liked Bernie because he seemed a little more freedom-centric. I'd like to see community college offered cheaply in a way that California did when I lived there... anyone could afford it, paying for a degree wasn't an issue because it was $10 per credit hour, I think Bernie would have been the best to get that done. I've also seen where Hillary has hinted that she may crack down on marijuana. I have friends that are actually in the business and it's not hurting anyone.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Powell didn't have to work very hard to get Hillary's vote. You can go to Youtube and find videos of her selling the war.

I wanted to go vote for Kerry, he just... I dunno. He voted for the war and it was a matter of days that he turned his back on it. A CIC has to have a spine, and his ideals seemed to be based on polling data. There were better candidates in 2004 that didn't make it. I liked Howard Dean but I think that he was taken out because he could have beaten Bush. Kerry was picked as a place-holder. He was a weak candidate. As for possibly picking McCain, I don't think that would have helped. I served with many guys that survived the Forrestal accident, they used to say had McCain not been captured, he would have been court martialed. So I never liked the guy even as everyone was hyping him up from both sides. His 2008 campaign vindicated my thoughts, and before he picked Palin I had people telling me I was nuts to support Obama because they thought he was just a kid... a rookie. I carried around a petition to have McCain recalled from the senate, I sure wasn't going to support him as president.

I liked Bernie because he seemed a little more freedom-centric. I'd like to see community college offered cheaply in a way that California did when I lived there... anyone could afford it, paying for a degree wasn't an issue because it was $10 per credit hour, I think Bernie would have been the best to get that done. I've also seen where Hillary has hinted that she may crack down on marijuana. I have friends that are actually in the business and it's not hurting anyone.

I don't think Dean was taken out because he could have beaten Bush...you are starting to sound like Trump with his "the election is rigged". Agreed, Kerry was a weak candidate, but he was a heck of a lot better than Bush.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I don't think Dean was taken out because he could have beaten Bush...you are starting to sound like Trump with his "the election is rigged". Agreed, Kerry was a weak candidate, but he was a heck of a lot better than Bush.

Why was Dean bashed? Because he got excited during a speech and screamed? Whoopeee. The media went and told everyone he was mentally unstable and he started falling in the polls.

I dunno. I like conspiracy theories, sometimes they come true. I've been telling the Howard Dean one to people since 2004 and they've been telling me I'm nuts, a primary can't be rigged... guess what.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Why was Dean bashed? Because he got excited during a speech and screamed? Whoopeee. The media went and told everyone he was mentally unstable and he started falling in the polls.

I dunno. I like conspiracy theories, sometimes they come true. I've been telling the Howard Dean one to people since 2004 and they've been telling me I'm nuts, a primary can't be rigged... guess what.
I will give you this: the CIA in the 1960's isn't like the CIA of today.

Sirhan Sirahan did not act alone. That I am confident of. I am also pretty sure JFK and MLK were suspicious at the very least.

Nowadays? Nah.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM

The democrat primary was rigged. Pure and simple. People in California that met a certain demographic lost their democrat party registrations and were turned away. My friend's daughter, who is white, has a degree and is under 40, was taken off of the primary voting rolls and only found out because she had a coworker that had gone in a few days before the cutoff and found out she had been kicked off.

Now, I don't just subscribe to any conspiracy theory, I do some research first and if there has to be at least some evidence. I don't believe in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The democrat primary was rigged. Pure and simple. People in California that met a certain demographic lost their democrat party registrations and were turned away. My friend's daughter, who is white, has a degree and is under 40, was taken off of the primary voting rolls and only found out because she had a coworker that had gone in a few days before the cutoff and found out she had been kicked off.

Now, I don't just subscribe to any conspiracy theory, I do some research first and if there has to be at least some evidence. I don't believe in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster.

I am not sure how to respond to that. Sanders lost by over 500,000 votes in California.

Do you also understand that California is not winner take all for the Democrats? You need to do some research before you sound silly.

Yes, I am sure people were just removed that met certain characteristics, scratches head.

But since you brought up targeting a specific demographic, Trump wants to round up Muslim-Americans.....that my friend is not a conspiracy and downright un-American. Not to mention the sexism, xenophobia and white-nationalist spirit of most Trump followers.

You need to pick your battles.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:25 AM

Let's be intellectually honest, I haven't heard Trump say that he wants to "round up" Muslims. I believe he said he wants to make sure we're not taking in any bad actors, basically following guidance from the FBI. As opposed to Hillary, who has admitted that we can't properly do any background checks but wants to increase the number coming in.

As for California, is it possible that out of that large of a population that targeting white educated voters and kicking them off of the voting rolls could have swung that her way? In a state with nearly 40 million with a majority Democrat population, I think it's very possible. How did they know who to kick off? Could they have possibly looked at the fact that Hillary was losing in the mostly white western states like CO, WY, MT, WA, OR, ID, etc. where the democrat primary voting block are mostly educated, young and white? I don't put anything past Hillary, and if she does lose I'll be pointing the finger at her and her followers who rigged the primary. A Bernie/Liz Warren ticket would be 20+ points up right now.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Let's be intellectually honest, I haven't heard Trump say that he wants to "round up" Muslims. I believe he said he wants to make sure we're not taking in any bad actors, basically following guidance from the FBI. As opposed to Hillary, who has admitted that we can't properly do any background checks but wants to increase the number coming in.

As for California, is it possible that out of that large of a population that targeting white educated voters and kicking them off of the voting rolls could have swung that her way? In a state with nearly 40 million with a majority Democrat population, I think it's very possible. How did they know who to kick off? Could they have possibly looked at the fact that Hillary was losing in the mostly white western states like CO, WY, MT, WA, OR, ID, etc. where the democrat primary voting block are mostly educated, young and white? I don't put anything past Hillary, and if she does lose I'll be pointing the finger at her and her followers who rigged the primary. A Bernie/Liz Warren ticket would be 20+ points up right now.

Honest question. How does one define your "bad actors". Isn't steering something realtors do to make sure white folk avoid minorities? Both sound quite subjective. I think one needs to be careful.

You didn't address my main point. A California primary is not winner-take-call for the Democrats. This had little impact on the overall primary election even if the Hillary tin-foil hat rationale you used is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia