Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2020, 01:08 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times

Advertisements

Ditto - I have super-narrowed down shopping and ONLY go to MAYBE one grocery store a week (and if need, one drugstore every few weeks) - I want in an out - no crowds and people wearing masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 01:20 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,338,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Ditto - I have super-narrowed down shopping and ONLY go to MAYBE one grocery store a week (and if need, one drugstore every few weeks) - I want in an out - no crowds and people wearing masks.
Same. Once every two weeks or so. Shopping is well planned and I have decided it is actually very nice to go around 8:30 pm. We did eat lunch outside at a restaurant at the end of this past week and went with my mother furniture shopping. Not busy places and everyone was in masks.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:24 PM

494 posts, read 1,193,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Besides Costco, I haven't really seen anyone actively enforcing it. Luckily, I do seem to live in an area where everyone is just doing it. I have been out twice, once in Harris Teeter and once in Wegman's, were there was ONE customer each not wearing a mask. This happened just after the mask policy was implemented. Both of them seemed to be making some sort of statement because they were walking around with a very noticeable attitude, smirk on face, almost daring anyone to approach them. After that, it's been fine.

Honestly, if I were a store clerk, the last thing I'd want to do is be in charge of is policing mask wearing. People are jerks. Absolute jerks, especially those who decide they want to make a stand against a policy. A $15 per hour store employee shouldn't have to deal with that and, unfortunately, it can escalate quickly. I'm not sure what Harris Teeter corporation's philosophy is, but I'm hoping it's just one of concern for putting their employees in a tough spot.
Yes. If I happen to go into any store and see that people are talking loudly, not wearing mask, I will walk out. Employees can't do this. They need to make $$$.

I don't know who owns Harris Teeter, but I think they're down there in the Carolinas. Could be a conservative group. I can tell you that my HT is really crowded parking wise (Glebe Rd) and they have no bicycle parking. We're a pretty bike friendly place here and I'm surprised they haven't sacrificed one of their spots for a bike parking noodle. Could fit 6-7 bikes, easy. I lock my bike in a rail where they fasten their shopping carts to.

Full disclosure: I haven't asked them for bike parking or know of any efforts to do so. Just thought it would be a good idea for them since it is a clusterF in terms of cars there.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:36 PM

22,503 posts, read 12,049,654 times
We were in Sterling Park today to do an errand. As we were getting to leave, we noticed several deputies were blocking off some roads. Then we noticed a group of demonstrators. We figured that they had gotten a permit for their gathering since the deputies knew about it. I wonder how many in the group were wearing masks...

coolio69---This is who owns Harris Teeter:

https://www.kroger.com/topic/kroger-family-of-companies

Old 06-21-2020, 04:11 PM

Harris Teeter sadly didn't do anything much about this - they don't have directional signs, require masks, etc.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:20 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,263,651 times
Not everyone is living in fear of this thing. Not to say taking some precautions is not prudent but some of you sound like you need a bubble around you when you go out in public. Whatever you do I would not come out here to the valley into a Walmart or Food Lion. Or pretty much any store. I'd be surprised if 50% of folks are wearing masks out here.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:37 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,512,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not everyone is living in fear of this thing. Not to say taking some precautions is not prudent but some of you sound like you need a bubble around you when you go out in public. Whatever you do I would not come out here to the valley into a Walmart or Food Lion. Or pretty much any store. I'd be surprised if 50% of folks are wearing masks out here.
Some of us care about the people around us. You don't.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:49 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,600,013 times
I was at Walmart Supercenter in Culpeper. Pretty much everyone was wearing masks since it's required. It's sensible to take precautions if you want to keep infections down and businesses open. There are probabilities to who will get hit hard with the virus but there is still some randomness as to who gets a severe case.

link

There are also a lot of couples that fear that one of them could get struck down. If one of them dies or is severely ill, the rest of their life has been altered for the worse. More often, the wife is deathly afraid for her spouse. So I can't blame them for not going to restaurants or the gym, both of which are high risk.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You realize, I hope?? That someone wearing is mask is protecting OTHER people!! Other people should show the same respect.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:54 PM

322 posts, read 276,493 times
you know one good thing to come out of this whole social distancing thing is I don't have to shower everyday any more - who's gonna smell me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia