Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM

293 posts, read 361,647 times

Advertisements

Thanks HBH, I will check that out. You guys are really helpful and I appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
I personally can't imagine not having a car here. At least for part of the time you are here. But I'm also a bit car-centric. I don't really care to spend my time waiting for the bus.

On another note...if you are not renting a car at the airport, you can get an Airport Shuttle for $15 one way. WAY less expensive than a cab. You could ride the bus too, but this depends on how much luggage you have. And that's only $2.50.

I would recommend picking up a copy of Oahu Revealed. TONS of great stuff in that book.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 PM

Thanks Dthraco, I too would miss having a car, at least part of the time. So, will plan on getting one for at least a week. I plan to bring my own GPS, though they may have them in most cars and charging a fortune for their use. One of the guys earlier told me about discount car rental or something like that. Their price seemed reasonable at $166.00 per week if that doesn't change. Doubt that I can find anything cheaper.

Rest of the time will try fighting with the bus and the shuttle. Need to down load that app. Are any of these books like Oahu revealed online?

I can't recall the time I hiked up to Diamond Head. Can a near 70 year old, and a three year old make that hike?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
I can't recall the time I hiked up to Diamond Head. Can a near 70 year old, and a three year old make that hike?
That depends on the 70 year old man. I have met some that could! But with a 3 year old, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 AM

Thanks, eleven years ago yesterday I had also suffered a quadruple by-pass. Guess that leaves us out on that. I thought you could also drive up there?

Guess were getting serious on this end about the trip. Just booked two nights at Travis where we plan to staart out from on the 3rd of Sept. Will have to get ahold of the Hale Koa in the next week or two and get that done too. Travis is only costing us $56.00 a night where the Hale Koa starts at $91.00 and goes up to over two hundred a night. We plan on a garden room at $106.00 a night. Don't know for sure what those rates would equate two if I had to stay at a comperable hotel downtown. Probably several hundred a night, just guessing.

Getting a bit excited now, been since 1965 since I was last there. Had a one way ticket off the island to Viet Nam on the USS Gordon, which is no more. Again, thanks all for your input, keep it coming.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
Quote:
Thanks, eleven years ago yesterday I had also suffered a quadruple by-pass. Guess that leaves us out on that. I thought you could also drive up there?
You can drive up into the crater which will give you a nice view of the inside of a dormant volcano.

If you decide to hike to the top, here is a pic of some of the stairs you will climb. There are many more.
Best way to go.... Military or civilian?-img_1061.jpg

Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Can a near 70 year old
Hmmm,

How interested you in 71, 72, 73, 74......

Old 06-20-2014, 02:18 AM

Lol, not sure what your saying Viper, but I will be 68 this Fall, have a three year old daughter and a 24 year old wife. I know she can make it, not me so much have after a hear attack 11 years ago. Anyway, hitting the big 70 in just two more years. Going to PM you.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:24 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
Quote:
...I plan to bring my own GPS, though they may have them in most cars and charging a fortune for their use.
Good idea. Most smart phones also have maps and gps built in. I relied heavily on that when I first moved here. The only tricky part is the one way roads.

Another tricky item is finding a restroom when you need to. Most businesses are not required to have a public bathroom. None of them are required to have hot water in the bathrooms. Most of the big chain stores will have one, so just keep a mental note when you are driving around. I only mention this because I have family that when they need to go, they need to go now.

Quote:
Rest of the time will try fighting with the bus and the shuttle.
During non-peak times the bus is fairly pleasant. Peak times it gets packed with all sorts of people. My only advice here is that most mainland folks who are not accustomed to the asian influenced society here have a tendency to speak up when they see something that offends them or if they want to complain. Best to keep that stuff to one's self. I personally wouldn't worry about the app. The bus comes like every 15min in waikiki. The bus website is good for day planning ahead of time.

If you find you need a cab, call 422-2222. (There's a funny jingle here on TV and in the theaters for this phone number performed by a Portuguese guy in drag...hilarious.) TuTu is the local word for grandmother, so the guy dresses as an old woman...call for tutu tutu tutu. Anyway...

Quote:
Are any of these books like Oahu revealed online?
Amazon: link You can usually find it at Barnes and Noble too.

Quote:
As others have mentioned, the stairs pictured are pretty brutal. There is another staircase that is more gradual with landings you can take a break at if needed. The only thing you can't get away from is the uphill tunnel. This time of year it gets very warm in there, that part can get challenging for both the incline and the dank air.

An alternative with a fabulous view would be to drive up to CityView Park. The view from up there is higher than Diamond Head and you can see much more. Yelp Link

Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks Dthraco for the info. I can remember the blow hole, the ride up into the mountains not fram from Schofield where I was stationed. Also, North Shore, the IMP (Now gone) and Waikiki beach. Due to Viet Nam, I've lost a lot of my memories after spending a year and a half on a death bed.....oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu