Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 03:21 AM

941 posts, read 1,969,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
One thing I am trying to recall is one time I went up into the mountains, I recall a beautyfull ride and looking back down into the valleys etc, I don't remember anymore than that. It may have been where the Japs came through the pass, not sure. But would like to find it again if anyone has any ideas of where it was.
This was maybe the Kolekole road that goes from Waianae over the mountains to Schofield barracks. It's a military road and restricted access. Hey used to allow anyone with military ID to cross, but I think I read that it's been completely closed these past years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM

293 posts, read 362,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
This was maybe the Kolekole road that goes from Waianae over the mountains to Schofield barracks. It's a military road and restricted access. Hey used to allow anyone with military ID to cross, but I think I read that it's been completely closed these past years.
You may be right, because, as I recall it wasn't far from Scholfield. It was a pretty drive. Would like to go over it again.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Quote:
Thanks Viper, I was kind of thinking about a mini van. But we probably won't need it now that our friends arn't going. Already booked at Travis and the Hale Koa. So, now it's just a matter of seeing all the great sights that you kind folks have suggested. I am sure that after 49 nine years a lot has changed. Sure will miss the IMP. Is there anything else that is similiar to to that?

How about china town, do's/don'ts there? At least one time we will ride the #55 bus around the island besides driving it our selfs.
I don't think you will find the same experience you had with the IMP back in our day when IMP was at her peak. I will say for shopping its going to be the Aloha stadium swap meet is one of the largest Swap meets in Hawaii. Experience the great shopping at Aloha Hawaii swap meet and Flea Market at Honalulu region . Of course no koi fish or banyon trees but good prices.

You also my consider Tantalus-Round Top Road drive and the pali lookout & old pali hwy lookout if you want gorgeous sceneries.
Pali Lookout Hawaii - YouTube

Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks HWH, it will sure be different I am sure. Great info on the PM's.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM

9 posts, read 16,865 times
I stayed at the Hale Koa in 2001 while pcs'ing, it was wonderful!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 AM

Thanks cugirl. How long did you stay there, and what did you like or not like about it?

Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 PM

Hey everyone, my wife was asking if there was anyplace over there to find sea shell's, the larger the better. Would appreciate and advice.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:01 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,402,941 times
I'm currently staying at the Hale Koa - we come to Oahu a couple times a year. My husband comes for work and we (myself and daughter tag) . We stay here and at other places on the strip = Marriott, Hyatt, Aston, Hilton Hawaiian Village, etc...

Hale Koa (good and bad)

Cheap - although the industry as a whole seems to be hurting here and many of the hotels seem to have some good promotions going. We don't pay for our room - only required to book somewhere at the govt rate (177night, I think) so sometimes we stay elsewhere if we can get a suite, buffet thrown in, or the hotel has a good points system. Right now we're here for RimPac so rooms are pretty much sold out all over Waikiki but when we were here for a couple weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year we stayed at the Hilton in a much nicer room and earned enough points for a few free nights elsehere.

Also - when you compare room rates, make sure you add in the "mandatory resort fees" that most of the places here charge, it's $25 -$40 a day.

Parking - seriously, we have stayed at many of the other places on the strip and their garages fill up and you end up circling the garage for a spot. A few times, there are no spots and you end up springing for valet. Plenty of parking and much cheaper here for sure.

Check in seems to be faster for the most part than some of the other hotels. Nice after a long flight when you just want to get your feet in the sand.

The park behind the hotel is shaded with a small playground. Many locals and guests from the Hilton next door bring their kids here because there dont' seem to be many playgrounds here at the local parks and sadly, many of the parks have alot of homeless and drugged out people in them. In fact, we also have a membership at the zoo here since it also has a shaded playground. ( In fact, I often recommend the weekly zoo membership to people with kids.)

The beach here is "okay" for little ones. My daughter has spent a lot of time swimming in the ocean and in lessons and is a pretty strong swimmer. For smaller children or non-swimmers the beach on the main might be better since it has a barrier/jetty. Depends on the day and time, we went the other day and it was really calm and then the tide shifted and I suddenly felt like there was a undertow developing. Plus there are no lifeguards here where there are some on the other end.

Bar and restaurants here are cheaper and less waiting. I think KoKOs will be closed for renovation while you are here and Bibi's will be serving three meals a day. I think they are also doing a new menu. The food here is just ok, IMO. It pains me very much to say that but well, it's just not resort quality food.

There isnt a coffee shop here - they have a limited hour coffee cart in the lobby which closes at 2pm. I like a cup of tea or coffee in the late afternoon so I end up at one of the other resorts for my afternoon fix.

Free room safe - some of the other hotels charge for them.

I think the hotel staff here is a little better screened than some of the other places. Generally, they are pretty good.

Guests tend to be quieter here than on the strip. I think a good percentage of the people staying here are pcsing on or off the island or here for work so they tend to turn in a little earlier since they aren't on vacation.

They have three pools here - adults only, kids and adults and a 18inch wading pool. Some of the other hotels on the strip have just one. A little boy drowned in the pool when we were at the Marriott a couple years ago.

The PX is generally cheaper than the ABC stores but not as well stocked. Also - if your daughter is in diapers or training pants - plan on them being out of stock. LOL . My duaghter when she was younger had allergic reactions to anything other than plain pampers. The px here stocks a generic diaper and a very limited anount of huggies. The ABC stores seem to carry only infant sizes and no one carried training pants. When we were still training we ended up buying them at the local grocery, so it's a good idea to pack some to take with you...

We've always enjoyed the Luau here. I heard mostly good things about the Polynesian Center but our mantra with a baby/preschtoddler/preschooler has always been to leave with your are still having fun and I think it might just be too long of a day for my daughter at this point.

The Hale Koa allows you to check out beach towels without leaving our room key as a deposit. This is esp. nice since we often go to the other beaches - can head back to the room for a shower and drop the towels off later rather than having to wait in line at the towels stand to get my room key back.

The Hale Koa has free and fast internet. We have been able to get multiple devices online at a time and its' fast enough to stream tv/movies and dowload stuff to watch on the flight home. Other hotels were $10-$20 day for internet.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,402,941 times
Quote:
Hey everyone, my wife was asking if there was anyplace over there to find sea shell's, the larger the better. Would appreciate and advice.
I havent found much here but we go looking for shells pretty often back home (California). I think it's more about timing (low tide), weather and going somewhere away from crowds.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. Just what I was looking for, especially on the Hale Koa and the diapers etc. My wife was just commenting on having to pack a bunch. If you can think of anything else, please post. What did you find in compareable room cost at the other hotels? I figured that they were at least three or four hundred dollars for the same type room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu