Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You may believe in green men, $134,121 in housewife salary or any number of your choice for what I care, however, I asked a specific question "what do they mean by "outside spending"? ". I understand that OpenSecrets.org: Money in Politics -- See Who's Giving & Who's Getting is an evidence in itself (for some people), but I insist on definitions. A few sentences on "methodology" they provide is a joke, I haven't seen any math there, just a few sentences of trivialities.

OK, if you don't provide definitions (I couldn't find), there is no point for our "discussion". Believing in $407,889,381 is just as culturally relevant as believing in Buddha, Vishnu or Big Beaver. In no way, I am trying to pass a judgement on your faith.
I think it's pretty obvious that outside spending refers to super pacs. You even use super pac money as evidence in that link you posted. It's the same thing. Don't get me wrong, tons and tons of money was spent in this election cycle on both sides. It's just not at all accurate to paint a picture of Obama and his supporters spending vast sums of money that Romney and his supporters.

But honestly, with your talks about Vishnu and wives and green men, I honestly don't even know what you actually want to talk about anymore, so I'm more than happy to end this "discussion." Take a deep breath, there's always 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that outside spending refers to super pacs. You even use super pac money as evidence in that link you posted. It's the same thing. Don't get me wrong, tons and tons of money was spent in this election cycle on both sides. It's just not at all accurate to paint a picture of Obama and his supporters spending vast sums of money that Romney and his supporters.

But honestly, with your talks about Vishnu and wives and green men, I honestly don't even know what you actually want to talk about anymore, so I'm more than happy to end this "discussion." Take a deep breath, there's always 2016.
OK, "outside spending" refers to Republican and Democrat leaning super pacs but it just lumps all the money those entities spent including other (than Presidential election) causes, administrative costs, whatever. For example,

American Crossroads

This super PAC was active in many Congressional races during the 2010 midterm elections and has Karl Rove as its senior adviser. It has spent money on advertisements opposing President Obama and congressional Democrats.
Main activity: Attacking Barack Obama(93%)

Crossroads GPS

A nonprofit social welfare organization, Crossroads GPS is a companion group to American Crossroads, a Republican-backing super PAC active in the presidential and Congressional races. A lawyer for President Obama has asked the Federal Election Commission to force GPS to reveal its donors.
Main activity: Attacking Barack Obama(69%)

American Future Fund

A conservative nonprofit organization based in Iowa, American Future Fund has spent money attacking Democratic candidates for Congress and President Obama.
Main activity: Supporting Mitt Romney(59%)

Workers' Voice

A labor-union-backed super PAC, Workers' Voice is primarily engaged in "ground game" efforts to increase voter registration and turnout. It has also run online advertisements opposing Mitt Romney.
Main activity: Attacking Mitt Romney(51%)

Only hell knows how much $ those super pacs spent exclusively on the presidential elections. Thus lumping a cool sum of $407,889,381 with a tally of the money raised by Romney is misleading by default.

Let me reiterate 90% rule of thumb. To have an idea about probability of a win, look at a tally of the money raised by an office seeker, the guy with larger stash of $ would win in 9 out of 10 elections. If me (and city-data) will be alive in 2016, I'll go back to this post to add another data point.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I understand the social conservatism issue but I live near a Planned Parenthood location and walking by there on garbage day is sometimes a bit disturbing.
So don't walk by. You're never going to get a consensus on that issue, and it's not like PP is some kind of abortion factory like certain folks make it out to be. That's a very very small part of the services they provide. In fact, without them, I imagine abortions would be even higher.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Well, let's not dwell on the positive, JBC. Let's take the tiny thing we don't like and completely blow it out of proportion.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So don't walk by. You're never going to get a consensus on that issue, and it's not like PP is some kind of abortion factory like certain folks make it out to be. That's a very very small part of the services they provide. In fact, without them, I imagine abortions would be even higher.
What an immature response ''so don't walk by'' as if anyone is supposed to change their routine to avoid reality. Don't deal with anything just pretend it's not happening. The PP is in my walk area and I have to pass by it all the time; it's at the corner of my street and I never think about PP other than on garbage days I guess. Never said PP was an abortion factory so don't know why you have to go there other than getting defensive when the abortion term comes up and a comment such as I made is stated. Wasn't looking for a consensus. The fact is, whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, fetuses are disposed of in a hazardous material truck right out of the back door of PP. Perhaps you have a denial issue; just can't handle the reality of what is taking place. I mean the dead fetuses have to be disposed of and in a large congested city some passers-by will have to see the garbage truck on occasion. You sound like a perfect candidate as someone who needs to walk by.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
What an immature response ''so don't walk by'' as if anyone is supposed to change their routine to avoid reality. Don't deal with anything just pretend it's not happening. The PP is in my walk area and I have to pass by it all the time; it's at the corner of my street and I never think about PP other than on garbage days I guess. Never said PP was an abortion factory so don't know why you have to go there other than getting defensive when the abortion term comes up and a comment such as I made is stated. Wasn't looking for a consensus. The fact is, whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, fetuses are disposed of in a hazardous material truck right out of the back door of PP. Perhaps you have a denial issue; just can't handle the reality of what is taking place. I mean the dead fetuses have to be disposed of and in a large congested city some passers-by will have to see the garbage truck on occasion. You sound like a perfect candidate as someone who needs to walk by.
Well, I work at a hospital and feel everyone should have to wrap a dead body at least once to put their own sense of death in perspective, so in a way I understand what you are saying. Sometimes we have to deal with things in life which remind us all isn't sunshine and roses.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Not entirely sure about the accuracy of this. Garbage trucks go everywhere to pick up garbage. I can't say I know for entirely sure what happens to fetuses, but there are regulations on how you dispose of them and I am fairly certain they are supposed to be incinerated.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Thank goodness we Ohioans chose to continue forward instead of going backward to policies that proved to fail us. Things are getting better, and would be a lot better of the GOP in the House and Senate would work with the Dems and compromise to get things done.

The GOP is simply finished on a national stage if they don't work to appeal to Latinos and African Americans...Old white men are becoming a much lower pct of the national electorate...they also need to stop their war on women by (drop their objections to Abortion, it's a personal decision, and gov't should stay out of it)...also stop fighting against marrage equality...the youth, my generation (30s) and the younger generation feel it should be legal...only the older generations are against it...these social issues will only hurt the GOP as the electorate continues to change.

Finally, Obama had by far the better groung game...I was impressed with how organized we were...when I use to go canvassing, we had very little to no info about people we would see...we just knocked on doors and hoped for the best...now, we had so much info, we knew who were the potential Obama supporters and we only had to knock on their doors to make sure they got out to vote...same with the phone calls...we didn't have robocalls...we had each voters info, and we just had to remind them and ask them to go vote...

Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 17,639 times
The GOP MUST moderate socially. I consider myself a Republican who is conservative on fiscal issues and moderate on social issues. Problem is the far right wingers who are only worried about abortion and gay rights are making it difficult for younger voters, especially college kids, to want to join the GOP. Thing is a lot of Republican ideas would appeal to college kids and young professionals (less government, lower taxes, less regulation, personal accountability, encouragement of investment & entrepreneurship, etc.). But nowadays, the liberal media does very well as painting the GOP as racist, intolerant, rich good ole' boys, which in some cases is true but for the most part is completely false.

The party needs to rebrand itself and reach out to more minorities (particularly Latinos) and younger people. Tea party will not cut it in today's world. I think Marco Rubio would be a good choice for 2016 for the GOP. He's young and would help make a lot of in-ground in appealing to Latinos, who often times are traditionally conservative both fiscally and socially but vote Democrat based on immigration policies.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich10014 View Post
But nowadays, the liberal media does very well as painting the GOP as racist, intolerant, rich good ole' boys, which in some cases is true but for the most part is completely false.

The party needs to rebrand itself and reach out to more minorities (particularly Latinos) and younger people. Tea party will not cut it in today's world.
So the GOP needs to rebrand itself, but only because the liberal media lies about it? But only sometimes? Face it, the GOP is unnecessarily intolerant and will eventually cease to exist if it doesn't change. Politics in this country would be so much more inspiring if the Republicans would drop the extreme ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio