Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 12:41 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Trump administration would consider immigration legislation that includes a pathway to citizenship for hundreds of thousands of young people, the U.S. Homeland Security secretary said Tuesday (1/3/18), while emphasizing no decision on that issue has been made and a border wall remains the priority.

Congress is considering three options, including citizenship or permanent legal status for people who were temporarily shielded from deportation, Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said in an interview.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/0...-donald-trump/
It's funny that Trump is the one who is tackling immigration reform now. He's doing this after tackling tax reform. When the Dems had control 2008-2010, why didn't they tackle either issue but seem to have a lot to say about both now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM

936 posts, read 2,084,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Two words: Pension Costs.

Pension cost for teachers is good but nothing compared to firefighters and police.

For a teacher, you typically see $90K salary and then $25K in benefits. For a cop, you see $100K in salary and then another $80K to 100K.

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...=police&y=2016
https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...teacher&y=2016

Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
My opinion of them has nothing to do with them being a fake news outlets. They just are and have proven to be over and over again.
I guess it's easy to label something "fake news" simply because you don't agree with it. Try again.

Learning To Spot Fake News: Start With A Gut Check:https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...th-a-gut-check

Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It's funny that Trump is the one who is tackling immigration reform now. He's doing this after tackling tax reform.
"Tackling tax reform"? Surely you jest. You mean tackling tax cuts for the wealthy on the backs of the poor and middle class.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not in Southern California, I live in a suburb in Sacramento County and what I see happening in my neighborhood of 60 year old homes is the kids and grandkids are taking over their parents and grandparents home when they pass. By doing so the house isn't reappraised so they can keep paying the original appraised tax rate. The original selling price of our 1450 sq ft home in 1954 was $11,200 and prop 13 capped the tax at the 1976 tax rate which was probably $20,000 or so, so the property tax would be almost nothing.
I've seen very little of that where I live...

From the old High School days not a single one still lives in the old neighborhood and when I suggest to friends the idea of keeping the parents or grandparents East Oakland home all I get is looks of disbelief...

There are plenty of people that want no part of the home were they grew up... older pre-war homes in so-so to dangerous areas...

20k sound very low for 1976 but I don't know Sac that well... 50% higher or more was what I was seeing at the time Prop 13 passed in 1978...

It is also important to remember the Prop 13 statewide rate is 1%... in my city my rate with about 25 voter approved assessments is 70% higher... more like 1.7%... yet, 15 minutes away the rate is below 1.2%

Remember we all pay the same rate in the same district... the only variable is the value at the time the base year is established... unless you make improvements which are added at the time done...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually if you go back to our old neighborhood or my SILs you would find out it is creating an interesting problem. My old neighborhood has turned over less than 20% in 20 years. And the intent is clear. Everyone who can is working on turning the house over to children eventually...all to keep the tax savings.

It is getting to where the difference in tax payments is 5 or 6 to 1.

Off hand that cannot be sustained long term but Californians do love Prop 13.
It can be sustained because Property Tax is only one of hundreds of potential revenue sources government has....

How does Oregon sustain with NO sales tax or Nevada, Washington and Arizona with NO personal income tax?

Again... not a single home in my neighborhood has been turned over to the kids... not a one.

The home I live in was taxed at $1200 and went to $8800 when I bought... the Dad asked his son if he wanted the home prior to listing and he had zero interest... none in every moving back to California and even less in living in a 1950's home in East Oakland...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And I would note all that keeps a large number of homes off the market fueling the incredible price growth in So CA. And it may get worse rather than better. To some degree the market is getting so warped it may reach the point of being impossible to correct. These folks have reached such huge interests in the properties it becomes their primary source of wealth.

It is one of the few things I wish I had known before making the move from OC to Las Vegas. Left most of a million dollars on the table by making the move. I otherwise like the move and LV...but if I had realized how all that would break I would likely have stayed. I like LV...but I liked OC as well...and I was hopelessly wrong about the economic outcome.
Don't feel bad... many do the same... some only realize years later and some only when it is pointed out to them... I'm amazed at how so many make huge financial decisions without considering the impact...

Old 01-05-2018, 10:09 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
the Dad asked his son if he wanted the home prior to listing and he had zero interest... none in every moving back to California and even less in living in a 1950's home in East Oakland...
that's just dumb.i know 2 siblings who inherited a house from their dad. they listed it to know the market value (highest offer). the one who stayed in the house took an equity loan on the house and paid his brother his share (highest offer/2) and the latter use it for his DP on his house also

Old 01-05-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
that's just dumb.i know 2 siblings who inherited a house from their dad. they listed it to know the market value (highest offer). the one who stayed in the house took an equity loan on the house and paid his brother his share (highest offer/2) and the latter use it for his DP on his house also
It was only 5 years ago when every single block in my city of 400k+ had at least one foreclosure home... some had several.

I realize CA is large but some areas were very hard hit and others barely a ripple.

Only a few took my advice... most just wanted the money as soon as possible.

What I find ironic is the kids of those that had parents/grandparents that grew up are now starting to come back... one of my young co-workers just about cries when thinking about Grandma's house being sold in 2011... she was in college... her parents said they would not feel comfortable with her living there... her parents got 140k for the property and honest... it is psuhing 500k today... well out of reach of a 20 something...

I'm doing some long range planning and wanted to include my God Daughters by leaving them property... a good thing so I thought... the parents... more like their father became quite upset... said that is the last thing they need and he has seen too many screwed up families over Real Estate... he has been in the business 35 years... said his girls need to concentrate on Grad School, Careers and knowing they would be inheriting a house someday would derail that... plus he doesn't care for the neighborhood...

Maybe on the shores of Tahoe, Pebble Beach, La Jolla might generate a different response?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-05-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It was only 5 years ago when every single block in my city of 400k+ had at least one foreclosure home... some had several.

I realize CA is large but some areas were very hard hit and others barely a ripple.

Only a few took my advice... most just wanted the money as soon as possible.

What I find ironic is the kids of those that had parents/grandparents that grew up are now starting to come back... one of my young co-workers just about cries when thinking about Grandma's house being sold in 2011... she was in college... her parents said they would not feel comfortable with her living there... her parents got 140k for the property and honest... it is psuhing 500k today... well out of reach of a 20 something...

I'm doing some long range planning and wanted to include my God Daughters by leaving them property... a good thing so I thought... the parents... more like their father became quite upset... said that is the last thing they need and he has seen too many screwed up families over Real Estate... he has been in the business 35 years... said his girls need to concentrate on Grad School, Careers and knowing they would be inheriting a house someday would derail that... plus he doesn't care for the neighborhood...

Maybe on the shores of Tahoe, Pebble Beach, La Jolla might generate a different response?
I think this is the difference between Asians and Americans (except the rich like Trump). Asians will try as much as possible to leave an inheritance to their children especially education. nothing beats the latter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County