Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 12:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I think this is the difference between Asians and Americans (except the rich like Trump). Asians will try as much as possible to leave an inheritance to their children especially education. nothing beats the latter
No doubt there is an emphasis on education... it reached the point a while back the UC Berkeley said it had too many Asian Students... the minority was a majority.

I work with Doctors and they just about all live in the best School Districts... as in the top public schools.

Seven of the kids of the Docs I work with send their kids to very expensive private schools... where 30 to 40k for the upper grades is typical...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm doing some long range planning and wanted to include my God Daughters by leaving them property... a good thing so I thought... the parents... more like their father became quite upset... said that is the last thing they need and he has seen too many screwed up families over Real Estate... he has been in the business 35 years... said his girls need to concentrate on Grad School, Careers and knowing they would be inheriting a house someday would derail that...

Maybe on the shores of Tahoe, Pebble Beach, La Jolla might generate a different response?
Interesting. I know of very few people who inherited a home from their parents. Most of our friends' parents, as well as our own parents who are still alive, are in expensive retirement communities and they needed to sell their homes to fund that. And people are living a lot longer than they used to. My mom's community is full of 90-plus year olds.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting. I know of very few people who inherited a home from their parents. Most of our friends' parents, as well as our own parents who are still alive, are in expensive retirement communities and they needed to sell their homes to fund that. And people are living a lot longer than they used to. My mom's community is full of 90-plus year olds.
Pretty much the same here... the home equity was needed for later years...

6k a month is about where it starts and goes up from there depending on the level of care...

There are less expensive places if all that is needed is meals and light housekeeping...

For most it wouldn't take long to burn thought significant savings...

Also... it was only 5 years or so where Real Estate value was still at all time lows...

Another part on inheriting... with multiple heirs most would only inherit a share...

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 AM

“It’s outrageous that the White House would undercut months of bipartisan efforts by again trying to put its entire wish list of hard-line anti-immigrant bills — plus an additional $18 billion in wall funding — on the backs of these young people.”

Political agenda keeps Trump and Congress apart on a fix for immigrant 'Dreamers' - LA Times

Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
DACA is dead.
WASHINGTON, Jan 11 (Reuters) - A bipartisan group of U.S. senators has reached a deal on protecting young immigrant "Dreamers" from deportation as part of a broader immigration plan, a spokesman for Republican Senator Jeff Flake said on Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...8p8?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
"Tackling tax reform"? Surely you jest. You mean tackling tax cuts for the wealthy on the backs of the poor and middle class.
Nope, tax cuts for all levels. In fact if you aren't over leveraged in mortgage debt in California, even without the SALT, most married couples and singles will get a SIGNIFICANT tax cut.

Did you even read the tax plan? Doesn't seem so.

Also, DACA is dead.

Sure it's POSSIBLE that Democrats get amnesty for their future illegal to legal voters but Trump is going to exact not only an astronomical price but astrological as well. He will get the wall, the end of chain immigration, the end of the visa lottery, reductions in refugees, reductions in legal aliens, and the reduction of green cards.

I'd take that trade all day long. Either way the DNC is going to get skewered for that trade.

They have no leverage. This is no negotiation. This is a choice to capitulate or be annihilated.

If they fail to get amnesty, they will be destroyed in 2018 mid-terms. If they get amnesty but lose chain migration, refugees, etc, they lose a long term voter supply that was once guaranteed.

This is 4D Chess. The guy is in fact a genius.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Sure it's POSSIBLE that Democrats get amnesty for their future illegal to legal voters but Trump is going to exact not only an astronomical price but astrological as well. He will get the wall, the end of chain immigration, the end of the visa lottery, reductions in refugees, reductions in legal aliens, and the reduction of green cards.

The guy is in fact a genius.
You call this a genius?

“What do we want Haitians here for?,” the president asked, according to the people briefed. “Why do we want all these people from Africa here? Why do we want all these people from ****hole countries?"

Trump complains about allowing immigrants from '****hole' countries - LA Times

Old 01-11-2018, 04:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
You call this a genius?

“What do we want Haitians here for?,” the president asked, according to the people briefed. “Why do we want all these people from Africa here? Why do we want all these people from ****hole countries?"

That just makes me sad...

Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
You call this a genius?

Trump's delivery was poor and regrettable, but his question was spot on. Just as an example, Haiti has a low education, low skill, high disease population. So very many Haitian immigrants are involved in crime. Moreover, one wonders about just what culture Haitians integrate into. It is not always the prevailing culture. As for what benefits a society can yield from any immigrant group, that is the most important question yet. Sure, there might be meritorious Haitian immigrants who would be an asset to us, but then again, many would not. Trump is right for finally asking it. Immigration is not a charity program. Now compare most Haitians to the many educated Chinese or Indian immigrants. Give me a break.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 01-11-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Trump's delivery was poor and regrettable, but his question was spot on. Just as an example, Haiti has a low education, low skill, high disease population. So very many Haitian immigrants are involved in crime. Moreover, one wonders about just what culture Haitians integrate into. It is not always the prevailing culture. As for what benefits a society can yield from any immigrant group, that is the most important question yet. Sure, there might be meritorious Haitian immigrants who would be an asset to us, but then again, many would not. Trump is right for finally asking it. Immigration is not a charity program. Now compare most Haitians to the many educated Chinese or Indian immigrants. Give me a break.
there is already a law. all they have to do is enforce it.

if it says temporary, there is no other way to interpret it. if the employers want to petition these temps, use the law and it says only 60,000 is available to skilled workers and another 20000 for those who graduated here.

if you cant squeeze them into the existing law, then the law maybe harsh but it is the law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County