Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:47 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Try applying for a job, attending public school during a pandemic, applying for unemployment, buying health insurance, applying for college, or any of a thousand different other tasks without having internet access.

Do we just write off the kids who, through no fault of their own, happen to live more than 2 km outside the town borders?
Don't be so melodramatic. Hell internet is "free" in coffee shops. The items you mention are relatively easily available to ANYONE with a little gumption and/or a few dollars in their pocket. The taxpayer does NOT have to ensure every person (Legal or illegal) has access to something someone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 11:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Don't be so melodramatic. Hell internet is "free" in coffee shops. ...
Are you currently in a rural 24x7 coffee shop?

I find them hard to come by in Covid.

It's the USA !
Average Tax payer does not have to pay for rural internet.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Before the public library movement of the mid-late 19th century, libraries were either private, or subscription based. Like a club you'd buy into. Some still exist, such as the Boston Athanaeum. It is a quite beautiful space that I would most definitely pay the $500 a year to use if I lived in Boston.

But it is not a public resource, which is the point of the "public" designation.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:06 AM

330 posts, read 428,800 times
A good public library is the sign of a civilized society.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Are you currently in a rural 24x7 coffee shop?

I find them hard to come by in Covid.

It's the USA !
Average Tax payer does not have to pay for rural internet.
Then the folks living there can pay for it I guess should they desire this attribute - No problem with that.
I believe you are incorrect though in that the taxpayer does pay for rural internet through a myriad of phone taxes and other fees.

I guess we are dithering about definition of "taxpayer".

Old 12-23-2020, 02:28 PM

565 posts, read 471,923 times
I drove a bookmobile for a year in a rural area of the mountain west. It was a fun job.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Then the folks living there can pay for it I guess should they desire this attribute - No problem with that.
I believe you are incorrect though in that the taxpayer does pay for rural internet through a myriad of phone taxes and other fees.

I'm sure none of the infrastructure that you rely on in your daily life: Electrical power, sewer, water, fire, police, highways, ports, bridges, airports, food safety, hospitals, schools, environmental protection, etc. etc. etc. was paid for or subsidized by tax dollars was it?

But yeah. Poor rural kids need to go 30 min from home to sit outside a closed McDonalds in December in order to do their online lessons with the free wifi in a pandemic because we can't have subsidized internet in rural areas. Gotcha.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...392_story.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/u...s-schools.html
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/missi...b612083c4ae75b

Old 12-23-2020, 05:36 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
I'm sure none of the infrastructure that you rely on in your daily life: Electrical power, sewer, water, fire, police, highways, ports, bridges, airports, food safety, hospitals, schools, environmental protection, etc. etc. etc. was paid for or subsidized by tax dollars was it?

But yeah. Poor rural kids need to go 30 min from home to sit outside a closed McDonalds in December in order to do their online lessons with the free wifi in a pandemic because we can't have subsidized internet in rural areas. Gotcha.

See how the technophiles and their industry has sucked the rest us so deeply into their web, where there is now so little hope of escape? Now something that is absolutely not a requirement for a happy healthy life on this planet becomes a requirement for a happy healthy life on this planet, and oh guess what, you have to pay for it! Something that didn't exist 30 years ago, or during any of our hundred thousand year existence, now our children must have! Must! And we let it happen. What "necessity" that isn't a necessity will we let them sell us suckers and chumps tomorrow? I can hardly wait to find out.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Classic ridiculous argument commonly put forth when facts do not support one's position.
NO! The taxpayer does not have to subsidize every little "unfairness". Internet can be easily obtained by ANY person who desires it.

Don't go creating fake "rights."

Old 12-25-2020, 09:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:

Those who still have land lines may be paying a 0.2% subsidy for those still on dial-up internet.

I'm sure the companies are filtering the 'credits / charges... deep within their accounting methods. (as allowed by IRS). But in general, the USA urban consumer (or tax payer) is not subsidizing non-existent rural USA internet. USA telecom is now largely 'commercial viability' based (revenue generating).

Which +/- significantly impedes the economic growth and stability of rural areas and citizens. But that is fine (Left wing conspiracy to force everyone to move to town (easier to milk their votes))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon