Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times

Advertisements

Metrowest is one of the most dangerous areas of Orlando. In 9 months I had my car broken into twice. I went to bed at night to the sound of helicopters and police combing the area. This is FACT, not hyperbole.
A simple search will show you just how bad Metrowest is.

One simple search in Google yielded this:

Quote:
Orlando police have just released the identity of the woman who was killed after getting off a bus last night. She is Deborah J. Culin, 46. She was shot and killed about 10:15 last night at the Copper Terrace Apartments on N Kirkman Road. (Note: A lot of the media -- including me in a version of an earlier blog post -- are calling this MetroWest. According to a city map, it is across the street from that neighborhood's boundaries, but it is still not far from other recent incidents, including a rape and a homicide. We have a reporter in the neighborhood and will update later.

And a few comments from residents:

Quote:

Since Wal-Mart opened a few years ago our neighborhood has been plagued with non-residents wandering through our complexes and more crime - muggings, shootings, carjackings, now murder. It is sad. This was a great community of students and hospitality employees.

Posted by: Sandra | May 24, 2006 at 02:08 PM
Quote:
I've lived in Orlando since the early 70's and agree that this area has gotten worse with the influx of Walmart customers that came over from the Pine-Hills part of town. How disappointing when this use to be a better part of town. It might be time to move.

Quote:
I used to live in that area, before and after Wal-Mart and it has gotten really bad. I used to hear sirens every night going by, and for some reason the rent kept going up!!

Posted by: Megan | May 24, 2006 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Why so picky to distinguish 'across the street' from Metrowest. Don't act like violent crime does not occur in 'titled' areas. Besides, Metrowest really is not that nice or upscale to want to distinguish it from some other property 'across the street'.

Posted by: Steph | May 24, 2006 at 04:52 PM

Quote:

My spouse and I just moved out of that area. We had watched over the course of 2 years the entire area around kirkman grow more and more frightening, and have had enough. I am usually a strong supporter of local police, but they have not had any impact here, nor do they appear to be serious about stopping the downward spiral of this neighborhood. And now people are dying.

Posted by: AM | May 24, 2006 at 05:48 PM
Quote:
There is such a limited police presence in the rental communities on Kirkman Road that the criminals have no fear of anything.

It would be nice to just see a police car drive through every now and then while on their patrol instead of hanging out and talking at the Mobil on Kirkman and LB Mcleod.

Posted by: Don | May 24, 2006 at 07:01 PM
Quote:
I agree that Orlando is getting much worse. However, we do not support our police or have enough of them. A couple weeks ago there was a front page article asking if our officers use their taser too easily/often. What do we want our officers to do? There is a severe problem in Orlando and we need to stop it.

Posted by: Frank | May 24, 2006 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
As an Orlando Police Officer, I resent the comment posted by AM. We are seriously understaff on this side of town. The city has not done enough to put more officers on the street. Politicians are more concerned about the Police doing customer service than fighting crime. People need to start attending city council meetings and voice their anger. The Juvenile Justice System needs to be reformed. Most of our problems on the West side of town are Juveniles. Their punishments do not fit their crimes. Once arrested they are promptly released to be supervised by irresponsible parents. The police is doing its job, the justice is NOT.

Posted by: COP | May 25, 2006 at 12:23 AM
Quote:

To COP: Thank God we have a justice system and don't take law enforcement's word verbatim (sp?). This is not to say that all law enforcement arrest just anybody or are bad, however, they do need to have checks and balances to keep everyone in line, including criminals and cops! So please dont knock the lawyers or the justice system. Do your jobs and do them right and maybe the justice system will keep them locked up!

That section of town has always had problems. Also Pine Hills has always - as long as I have lived here - had problems. Been here for almost 22 years. Maybe in the 70s it was ok but after that - it was crime after crime that is how it got the nickname Crime Hill. Alot of it is caused by transients that are criminals from other areas (mentally ill too) and they come here and do their dirty deeds. It is a tourist town and that also attracts alot of crime. We have more crime here than they do in my hometown in Long Island, NY.

Current report on tv for murder here - OPD 23 possibly 24, OCSO 16 - for the first 5 months of this year, so that means 39 people have been murdered in our community. This is outrageous. But you can go on the FDLE Website or Family watchdog.us and see how many sex offenders are in the area too. I just checked again - a new one moved in on my street(which I did not know about). We had something like 598 within 5 miles of my home in Conway. The number fluctuates daily but it never goes below 400. Amazing huh?

Also alot of these crimes are somehow drug related. Whether it was a deal gone bad or the person on drugs (usually crackheads) did the crime against an innocent person - ie; like this women killed at the Copper Terrace. So maybe we need to really tackle the drug problem. It all seems to come from that! I dont think the local Walmart is responsible for the Crime. It is your local crackheads and your local kids that are doing the crimes, not WALMART!

Posted by: Josie | May 26, 2006 at 08:41 AM

The first result on the first search. Nevermind the rapes in broad daylight, the robberies every single day, the murder, etc. I am all for promoting Orlando as a great place to live but I am sick to death of the lies when it comes to safety.

The zip code for "across the street" is 32811. And it is Literally across the street.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Thank you Blueoktober for finding and posting those, and confirming the facts. There are definately "good" areas in Central Florida where one can enjoy a good quality of life, unfortunately, Metro West isn't one of them.

Last edited by spunky1; 02-22-2007 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 AM

107 posts, read 387,919 times
please not all or most are on kirkman rd which last time i looked is not metro west

Old 02-23-2007, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 82,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2OC View Post
We're moving from beautiful Orange County CA to Orange County FL. We are saddened that we'll leave the LA area but excited to be in a new place where it will be close to a new set of relatives and to be more convenient to our business (business consultants to int'l clients in Latin America and Europe). I know what to expect when we move to Florida and we have also set our expectations to realistic levels. But despite my own filtering abilities in detecting paranoid comments, this board DOES make you wonder sometimes about the choices you're about to make.

So, since you are offering a direct and honest perspective, here is my question:

How is Winter Garden? Some mentioned that it's close to Ocoee which is "turning bad" as Pine Hills is right around the corner. We're in the Southern tip of the city, near the new mall. I've driven around the city of Winter Garden a few times and found it to be OK. There are some poorer areas but that's normal.

Thanks!
Your spot on - Winter Garden is a nice, family oriented community. Yes, its close to Pine Hills - just like any good city - a poor area is usually right nearby. however, Ocoee is NOT turning bad - its actually on its way up - with all kinds of new homes & shopping being built all over it. Personally, I would choose Winter Park over Winter Garden. But youre super close as it is so either way your good.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 82,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Thanks for the info! Yes, I will be renting but may purchase a very small property if I am comfortable with the area.

I got the impression that I should stay as far away from Orlando (for living) as possible, due to crime and traffic. Is that just certain parts of Orlando?

yes, its small pockets of orlando - including apopka. like ive already said, if you want to listen to all these frothing at the mouth lunatics, go ahead. but i can promise you that once you move to central fla - and your in apopka when you could have moved to orlando - you will be kicking yourself.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:54 AM

It amazes me how people cannot have conversations without resorting to insults. It makes you look small and uneducated. And it certainly doesn't provide good information. I posted FACTS. Not "frothing at the mouth" information. Facts.

Metrowest is crime-filled. I know from experience and from FACTS.

Orlando does have great parts to it, as I stated. I believe downtown Orlando is a great place to live, but there's no way in the world I would move NEAR Metrowest much less live in it. A big pretty house does not mean safety.
When addressing the crime everyone says "it's all in one spot!!! Pine Hills!!!!". News flash: Pine Hills borders Metrowest. And News flash: Criminals don't rob poor people.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:21 AM

107 posts, read 387,919 times
newsflash downtown orlando as more crime than anywhere . paramore is downtown

Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridian to relocate View Post
newsflash downtown orlando as more crime than anywhere . paramore is downtown

News Flash: I lived downtown for 5 years and never had a single problem.
Worked at the SunTrust building the same amount of time - right across I-4 from that area, ate lunch in that area, walked to my car at night to a parking garage on west church street, never had an issue.
And um, most people don't live on the west side of downtown.

Oh, and about Winter Springs... I know nothing of it, but this is on the front page of a local news station.

http://www.local6.com/news/11093533/detail.html (broken link)

Old 02-23-2007, 09:41 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
It amazes me how people cannot have conversations without resorting to insults. It makes you look small and uneducated. And it certainly doesn't provide good information. I posted FACTS. Not "frothing at the mouth" information. Facts.

Metrowest is crime-filled. I know from experience and from FACTS.

Orlando does have great parts to it, as I stated. I believe downtown Orlando is a great place to live, but there's no way in the world I would move NEAR Metrowest much less live in it. A big pretty house does not mean safety.
When addressing the crime everyone says "it's all in one spot!!! Pine Hills!!!!". News flash: Pine Hills borders Metrowest. And News flash: Criminals don't rob poor people.

I agree, when I (and I have to assume others) offer advise to people, and that is what it is advice (not trying to scare etc) are doing it w/good intentions. I certainly would want to be advised what area in Central Florida is safe, and I certainly would advise my family and friends who are moving as to what areas are nice and also safe. And those good intentions are misconstrued by some (I wonder what there motiviation -could it be to keep their property values from falling, as bad rep of certain areas are causing-hum. . makes one wonder) as trashing the area, or trying to insite fear, or whatever they believe. It is not the posters we are giving the info to that are attacking but people that live in the area in question who get very defensive. I guess since they made a mistake and purchased in the bad area they want to make sure the property values don't take an even bigger dive then they already have. Enough said!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy is Moving View Post
yes, its small pockets of orlando - including apopka. like ive already said, if you want to listen to all these frothing at the mouth lunatics, go ahead. but i can promise you that once you move to central fla - and your in apopka when you could have moved to orlando - you will be kicking yourself.
I appreciate the advice.

I have a feeling based on the numerous conflicting posts that I will have to actually go there and see where I will be living, and if I would feel safe. I was hoping to not have to do that.

If you could provide any zipcodes for areas you feel are worth looking into, I would be very grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando