Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times

Advertisements

I like those Fiat 500s........with cash you can buy a new one, pretty darn cheap, if you shop around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
They were intending to compete with Mini, but failed since Mini has the backing of BMW which keeps them with the latest technology. Fiat doesn't have that luxury.
They believed the fake news that Americans have all turned environmentalists and are ditching SUVs in droves in favor of the compacts. That's exactly the impression you got if you just read the press at the time. Reality was quite different as we later learned

Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
They were intending to compete with Mini, but failed since Mini has the backing of BMW which keeps them with the latest technology. Fiat doesn't have that luxury.
If there is anything Fiat does do well it's technology. Their infotainment systems are consistantly ranked among the best.
Mini however is severely lacking in the technology department. I have a 2012. It's not even smart enough to kick on your AC when you turn on the defroster. It has Bluetooth, but it's not hands free. The radio and orange back lit displays were outdated the day they came out. Overall switch layout is atrocious. There isn't even an engine temp gauge. You have to turn the foglights on separately everytime you start the car. To shut off the engine you have to push the button three times. To open a door you have to pull the handle twice.

It's fun to drive but the Mini is among the crudest cars on the road today. People aren't buying them because they're high tech.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If there is anything Fiat does do well it's technology. Their infotainment systems are consistantly ranked among the best.
Mini however is severely lacking in the technology department. I have a 2012. It's not even smart enough to kick on your AC when you turn on the defroster. It has Bluetooth, but it's not hands free. The radio and orange back lit displays were outdated the day they came out. Overall switch layout is atrocious. There isn't even an engine temp gauge. You have to turn the foglights on separately everytime you start the car. To shut off the engine you have to push the button three times. To open a door you have to pull the handle twice.

It's fun to drive but the Mini is among the crudest cars on the road today. People aren't buying them because they're high tech.
Look at BMW cars and how much they cost to repair , Fiat has 2 of the most famous cars in the word under their umbrella Ferrari, and Maserati what dose BMW have, oh I know Rolls Royce, and Mini. To say Fiat is not up to par with BMW is calling the kettle black.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM

342 posts, read 318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Look at BMW cars and how much they cost to repair , Fiat has 2 of the most famous cars in the word under their umbrella Ferrari, and Maserati what dose BMW have, oh I know Rolls Royce, and Mini. To say Fiat is not up to par with BMW is calling the kettle black.
I doubt there was much technology sharing between Ferrari cars and the Fiat 500, but who knows, maybe there was. In any event, as of last year, Fiat no longer owns Ferrari. Ferrari was spun off as a separate company, so I doubt we're going to get Ferrari technology in upcoming Fiats. FCA is lucky they have Jeep and Ram trucks, and US gasoline prices are so low, otherwise they would be broke.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I doubt there was much technology sharing between Ferrari cars and the Fiat 500, but who knows, maybe there was. In any event, as of last year, Fiat no longer owns Ferrari. Ferrari was spun off as a separate company, so I doubt we're going to get Ferrari technology in upcoming Fiats. FCA is lucky they have Jeep and Ram trucks, and US gasoline prices are so low, otherwise they would be broke.
Chrysler also has their retro cars the challenger and charger witch are a good selling car with their hellcat and now Demon version and also they are thinking of bringing the baracauda back again. Right now Chrysler is gearing up for a new SUV, and a Jeep pickup, they are revamping 2 assembly plants for this in Michigan. And their new Pacifica minivan are the best in the country. And Fiat still owns Maserati another Exotic car. And Jeep will always survive because there is a cullt of Jeep lovers all over the world. They are building a Jeep assembly plant in China for that market.

Last edited by easy62; 07-17-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I drove the original Fiat 500/600 from the 1960's.
Neat little car but very basic and cheaply made.
Many basic cars from Europe at that time.
Vespa even made a car at that time.

The current 500 is a mishmash of components and assembly. Engine made in Romania (or some such country) and the transmission made in Poland (or some such country).
And the Italians just don't have a reputation of making quality cars (except exotics).

The Fiat 500 is cute. But cute only lasts a few years. Just look at the history of the AMC Pacer.

If the Fiat 500 was priced right there would be more sold. But for that same money one can purchase a Toyota, Nissan, Ford or Chevrolet.

Fiat Chrysler is doomed. They just can't make cars that sell.

I had a '58 Fiat 500. It was an enjoyable car to drive, but it had a bad flaw with its inadequate cooling system. After I cracked some rings and found a replacement engine cheap at a wrecking yard, it lasted only 6 more months, having the same breakdown. I gave it to a friend who rebuilt and customized European cars. He took a double-sized radiator and fan out of a larger Fiat, cut a gap in the back seat to fit it in and it ran many years for him. They were designed for city driving, not going flat out for sustained distances, in American-style driving.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
[quote=unit731;48854302]I drove the original Fiat 500/600 from the 1960's.
Neat little car but very basic and cheaply made.

Many basic cars from Europe at that time.
Vespa even made a car at that time.

Haha, I had one too, back in the early 60's......all 18 hp of it ! I lived at the bottom of a steep valley and I had to get a running start to get up enough steam to get the car over the top of the hill. I would be downshifting as the rpms dropped, and was finally in 1st gear before it would make it. Sometimes I would have to turn around, go back down the hill and get another run at it, especially if I had a second passenger in the car.

I didn't keep that one long. Mine was like this:

Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:

They won't be broke either way. Fiat 500 is just one car vs the entire Jeep and Ram brands which enjoy large margins.
I think people forget how large FCA is.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They won't be broke either way. Fiat 500 is just one car vs the entire Jeep and Ram brands which enjoy large margins.
I think people forget how large FCA is.
People who think Chrysler is done should read this before they say anything because the ones who think FCA is doomed don't know a dam thing about about anything.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...fits/97064802/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands