Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,095,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Mini's are about the same size, equally unreliable, nearly impossible to upgrade, very rudimentary, and extremely awkward in interior layout, but somehow Fiat still just wasn't able to cultivate the cult following Mini has.
Minis are a size and price class up from 500s, both here and in the rest of the world. And nearly impossible to upgrade? HUGE aftermarket and enthusiast following says otherwise. If you do have an R56 like you say, you should know this. I had both an R56 and F56 (an '11 and a '14) and my wife was a MINI Genius at the local dealership. Upgradability is one if it's strong suites. I loved the interior of our '11 with the chromeline trim, sport pack, and premium HK stereo. The '11 had hands-free BT and a lot more, even though we didn't opt for the nav setup. I actually loved that car. So much fun to drive. Which is why when the lease was up we got the '14. The '14 was reliable and fun, too (especially the 3 cyl turbo with the 6 speed manual trans), but it had a lot of little recall issues, which was annoying.

At any rate, I love the 500 Abarth. I've driven both a 500 Sport and 500 Abarth and wouldn't mind having one in the fleet. I wish we had got the 500E EV over here, but it was a California compliance car. Still, the most reliable 500 on the market, lol. And torquey and fun to drive, as well, from all accounts ( I know 3 people that have them out in San Diego).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,902 times
I see 500s all the time in the suburbs of Cleveland. Smart cars as well. Not a lot of them but then they aren't a huge part of the market.

Starting to see a lot more of the 4 door AWD Fiat SUVs as well.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,651,048 times
The fiat is a good example of how you fail if you dont understand the market. europeans and americans have a very different view of what a car is. in europe a car is simple practical and small, in america a car is a status symbol, the bigger the better.even the colors the fiats came in were not right for the american market,Im sure almost all of the sales were to people who just bought it because it was cute and quirky.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
The fiat is a good example of how you fail if you dont understand the market. europeans and americans have a very different view of what a car is. in europe a car is simple practical and small, in america a car is a status symbol, the bigger the better.even the colors the fiats came in were not right for the american market,Im sure almost all of the sales were to people who just bought it because it was cute and quirky.
There is indeed profound difference between European and American car preferences, but I'd argue that it's less to do with Europeans being practical or Americans obsessed with status. Americans also care about practicality, while Europeans certainly aren't devoid of considerations of fashion, style, aspiration and prestige. Rather, the differences is in cultural paradigms of what constitutes practicality and fashion. Americans have wide roads, low population density, lots of parking spots, cheap gasoline, larger families and lots of accouterments to carry around. Europeans have high taxes and cramped cities; thus their preference for smaller cars, and in particular for cars-period, as opposed to trucks.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
People who think Chrysler is done should read this before they say anything because the ones who think FCA is doomed don't know a dam thing about about anything.

Fiat Chrysler 2016 profit soars to $1.9 billion, up from just $100 million
Great news! Now those Chrysler employees can smoke more weed and drink more booze before going back on the assembly line again.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Great news! Now those Chrysler employees can smoke more weed and drink more booze before going back on the assembly line again.
What's wrong you jealous they make good money and got a bonus.

Last edited by easy62; 07-18-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Minis are a size and price class up from 500s, both here and in the rest of the world. And nearly impossible to upgrade? HUGE aftermarket and enthusiast following says otherwise. If you do have an R56 like you say, you should know this. I had both an R56 and F56 (an '11 and a '14) and my wife was a MINI Genius at the local dealership. Upgradability is one if it's strong suites. I loved the interior of our '11 with the chromeline trim, sport pack, and premium HK stereo. The '11 had hands-free BT and a lot more, even though we didn't opt for the nav setup. I actually loved that car. So much fun to drive. Which is why when the lease was up we got the '14. The '14 was reliable and fun, too (especially the 3 cyl turbo with the 6 speed manual trans), but it had a lot of little recall issues, which was annoying.

At any rate, I love the 500 Abarth. I've driven both a 500 Sport and 500 Abarth and wouldn't mind having one in the fleet. I wish we had got the 500E EV over here, but it was a California compliance car. Still, the most reliable 500 on the market, lol. And torquey and fun to drive, as well, from all accounts ( I know 3 people that have them out in San Diego).
I'll give you an example of poor upgradablility...rear fog light switch. It's there, the bulb is there, the little indicator on the speedo is there, but doesn't work unless you mess with German software codes with special equipment.
Swapping out the speedo for a nav system? Forget it.
A battery swap requires reprogramming.

Other than that I like it and would strongly consider a newer one. It is a fun ride.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
I bought a Fiat 128 FrontWD when nobody had FrontWD back in 1971. After an accident I bought another. But after buying their sport model in 1974, and having to replace the alternator 4 times in 2 years, having the electric fuel filter break down numerous times, I never bought another one.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
What's wrong you jealous they make good money and got a bonus.
I'm referring to the video of Chrysler auto workers taking their lunch break at a city park smoking weed and drinking booze (and throwing the bottles into the park) before going back to the plant. After the video was made public, those workers were fired, and later brought back to the plant to go back to work despite the video evidence of them getting high or drinking before going back to work at the factory.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,785 times
I own a 2014 500L Easy. I wonder if We're talking about the same car? I love the Eurosplit 6 speed. It has all the bells and whistles..back up camera and such...it fits 4 full grown adults. I bought it for $10,000 in 2016 and it books at trade..for $8,000. Not all that bad. I see others on the lot for $11,500.

It's funny looking..to be sure--but handles well..the only knock I have on it is that it's a bit unresponsive at low rpm's...when in auto mode. I run it manual..and shift at 3,000---it zips...and the top end of 160 is reachable--if you dare..I got it up to 143mph...still was not redlined.

39,000 miles and no issues except for a recall for an issue I was not experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands