Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

I see fewer and fewer of them. This is one more failure to make Americans adopt European driving style. Oh sure, it was kinda cute at first but the crush is over. Depreciation is horrendous. Managed to take a peek at a Carmax appraisal form. A two year old 500 was appraised for $5000, and even that is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
I think they were intending to compete with Mini.
I see Mini's all the time and they've been here for almost 2 decades now, so the small car style itself isn't the problem. It's probably all the bad rankings it's always getting.

I haven't seen a Smart Car in ages either.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
I drove the original Fiat 500/600 from the 1960's.
Neat little car but very basic and cheaply made.
Many basic cars from Europe at that time.
Vespa even made a car at that time.

The current 500 is a mishmash of components and assembly. Engine made in Romania (or some such country) and the transmission made in Poland (or some such country).
And the Italians just don't have a reputation of making quality cars (except exotics).

The Fiat 500 is cute. But cute only lasts a few years. Just look at the history of the AMC Pacer.

If the Fiat 500 was priced right there would be more sold. But for that same money one can purchase a Toyota, Nissan, Ford or Chevrolet.

Fiat Chrysler is doomed. They just can't make cars that sell.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
The problem is reliability. People flocked to the dealership based upon physical appearance. They bought it for a variety of reasons including look, image, fuel economy, ease of parking in cities, and handling. They traded in or sold the car due to reliability issues. In base for it's a good urban commuter vehicle but when people buy a commuter vehicle they want reliability. A FIAT 500 Abrath sport model is fun to thrash about but keep a repair shop handy. It's not correct to compare the 500 to the Smart as the Smart seats only 2. A better comparison is the Chevrolet Spark. They're nearly the same size, seats 4, good fuel economy, and are good urban commuter vehicles. Where they differ is price, reliability, style, and image. Though the 500 is better styled and offers better handling, the Spark offers a lower price and better reliability.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:55 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I drove the original Fiat 500/600 from the 1960's.
Neat little car but very basic and cheaply made.
Many basic cars from Europe at that time.
Vespa even made a car at that time.

The current 500 is a mishmash of components and assembly. Engine made in Romania (or some such country) and the transmission made in Poland (or some such country).
And the Italians just don't have a reputation of making quality cars (except exotics).

The Fiat 500 is cute. But cute only lasts a few years. Just look at the history of the AMC Pacer.

If the Fiat 500 was priced right there would be more sold. But for that same money one can purchase a Toyota, Nissan, Ford or Chevrolet.

Fiat Chrysler is doomed. They just can't make cars that sell.
So their chalanger and charger and 300 don't sell you say you better look at the numbers for the challenger and charger and don't forget about Jeep either. If Fiat Chrysler is doomed like you say they are why are the retooling 2 plants to make the Jeep pickup and a new SUV. And if Chrysler was doomed why are Ram pickups Selling so well, no answers for that right. I love it when people think they know so much about the auto industry but haven't a clue what they are talking about. I know people who work for Chrysler and are working 7 days a week at there sterling hgts stamping plant yea Chrysler is doomed.

Last edited by easy62; 07-16-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 08:03 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So their chalanger and charger and 300 do sell you say you better look at the numbers for the challenger and charger and don't forget about Jeep either. If Fiat Chrysler is doomed like you say they are why are the retooling 2 plants to make the Jeep pickup and a new SUV. And if Chrysler was doomed why are Ram pickups Shelly so well, no answers for that right. I love it when people think they know so much about the auto industry but haven't a clue what they are talking about. I know people who work for Chrysler and are working 7 days a week at there sterling hgts stamping plant yea Chrysler is doomed.
The Challenger, Charger, 300, all pickup trucks, and most JEEPS are still holdover Chrysler products with virtually nothing from FIAT. the two cars Chrysler and Dodge did sell that were made from FIAT foundation and engines also sold poorly. Like the FIAT 500 they handled well but they also had reliability issues. Dodge amen chrysler don't have stellar reliability reputation but their reliability is better than FIAT.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:38 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
So what if Fiat is not making cars for Chrysler just because Fiat owns Chrysler you think they should have a car together like when Daimler owned them and made the Pacifica that Fiat should of made a car together with Chrysler. That's like saying that VW should make a motorcycle with Ducati because they own them. Chrysler is doing good with the 3 cars they have now. They are moving more into the SUV and truck market were you make more money. You have no idea what Chrysler is doing. I love all the auto analyst on here. I live in the motor city were we see first hand how the auto industry is doing. The Fiat 500 is separate from Chrysler dealerships and has nothing to do with the Chrysler side of the company.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,854,274 times
My wife has a Mini Cooper S and it is fun to driver. There is somewhat of a cult about that car. Owners wave at each other on the road and there are organized rides and rallys... The main site for minisn is northamericanmotoring.com. I see very few Fiats on the road...

Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 AM

890 posts, read 883,655 times
Jeep Renegade is selling very well, with a new plant to open in China. Mostly a Fiat. I have 5,000 miles on mine, so far totally happy with the Fiat engine and 6 speed manual. A much better shifting experience than I had with a 1998 Ford Contour. I keep a running total on mileage, I am at 32 mpg overall for 5000 miles. EPA ratings are 24/31 some people say manual transmissions beat the EPA estimates. This is basically the same vehicle as the Fiat 500X, but with a different body. Vehicle has independent rear suspension, has good ride and handling.
Small sedans in general are not setting the world on fire, at least here in the US. That two year old 500 for $5000 sounds tempting if I wanted a small car.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think they were intending to compete with Mini.
I see Mini's all the time and they've been here for almost 2 decades now, so the small car style itself isn't the problem. It's probably all the bad rankings it's always getting.

I haven't seen a Smart Car in ages either.
Mini arrived in 2002......25 years ago! How do I know? I ordered one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands