Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 05:12 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,085,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Oh my parents went up there in Chicago

I'd love that!!!... And the Empire State Building in New York

So lucky
Yes, it was brilliant. And Chicago is a really nice city. I preferred it to New York actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,578,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, it was brilliant. And Chicago is a really nice city. I preferred it to New York actually.
I've not been to either but my old man thought in places Chicago reminded him of London

Old 08-12-2016, 05:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
I've been to the top of The Empire State Building in NY but not on a scaffold I think I could ride up one and even look down but don't make me move, lol. I've been higher in an airplane

I have never been to Chicago. Star- What did you do there? Were you on vacation?

I am finished with The Question of the Day. LC-It is something that people have been hosting on CD for years. It used to be one woman who did it every day. Now about 5-6 of us take turns. Give it a try. It is in Other Topics. Here is tomorrow's, early
https://www.city-data.com/forum/other...l#post45110599

Old 08-12-2016, 05:48 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,085,454 times
Quote:
I've not been to either but my old man thought in places Chicago reminded him of London
That's what I thought too! It had a London feel about it.

I wasn't too keen on New York. It was too busy and claustrophobic for my liking. And I'll always remember this one guy walking past me, who wasn't just talking to himself, but was shouting to himself!

Chicago felt more open spaced, quieter and just generally nicer in comparison.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Quote:
Don't like those flavoured ones though - you know, cider with strawberry, or something like that.
Typically I'd agree - not into sweet drinks with alcohol. But last week when I was out your way I tried a delicious and refreshing cider that had strawberry in it. It was a little too much strawberry for me but still tasty. I was probably more forgiving because I was on holiday and it was a new experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I think all of you would drink me under the table, lol.

I don't mind heights but my balance is terrible. I "want" to go ziplining for my birthday in October. I may need to rethink that…then again I will be strapped in

It's about 86 degrees or 30 celsius here. I'm melting.
I'd be out drunk too! You don't need balance for zip lining. It's so much fun. I encourage you to try it! 95 Here and so far so good. Have AC set at 85.
Quote:
I love Chicago. And yes it's more open feeling than NYC.
Quote:
I wasn't too keen on New York. It was too busy and claustrophobic for my liking. And I'll always remember this one guy walking past me, who wasn't just talking to himself, but was shouting to himself! .
I think NYC is great but it definitely can be overwhelming and exhausting. BTW, that guy is still there

I like whiskey but usually just in the winter or fall. Gin is my choice for warm weather.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Golly gosh, 5am and I still haven't gone to bed yet!

Interesting last few hours. Interesting, and quite unexpected hours at that.

But anyway, at least I saw more of the Perseid meteor shower; not has good as previous years, but still a sight to see.

Then at around 11pm got a phone call from a friend. "Would you fancy coming to a hot tub party?"

"What, now!?" I replied.

"Yeah, it's just starting to warm up, so to speak!"

"Where? And who's there?"

"The usual crazy gang here in downtown Bourneheath. Get your arse down here. You're required!!"

30 minutes later I'm in a huge hot tub in my friend's back garden, shared with 8 other peeps - drinking, eating BBQ food, listening to music etc No neighbours to speak of. And as I enjoyed a good soaking I could still just about make out the night sky and the odd meteor here and there!

Awesome evening, and only a fraction of the cost of a night out clubbing in the town. I must say I did quite enjoy the hot tub experience - kinda surreal at such a late hour!

Anyway, time for good run now. And then catch a few sleep hours.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Good morning all....... It's a lovely start to the day here in northern England....... hope you enjoyed your run Zola.

Isn't it funny........ here we are scattered in different parts of the world, and yet some of us have been to the very same small place at the top of the Empire State Building!

Some mixed feelings here about New York City...... I thought it was fantastic. I have been twice with Judy, and once on my own, during my first visit to America in 1988.

When you walk round NYC, to a foreigner it is so familiar. We have seen it so often in movies, that you get the feeling you've been there before. So many interesting areas to visit. Judy and I were walking along, and we came to the Flat Iron Building. Judy says, "it looks familiar David." I told her it was used in the first 'Spiderman' film.

At night when NYC is lit up, it looks it's best. Great places to eat, and shows to see in the theatres. You'd love it LC........ in some ways, NYC has a very similar feel to London, but on steroids....... We came across a diner that had been used as a setting for a film Robert Redford made called ' Three Days of the Condor' way back in 1975. There were photos of Redford taken there back then. Judy sat down in the same booth he had. It became hallowed ground to her.........

It's so nice and sunny this morning, I think I will cut the grass. I trimmed the shrubs yesterday. Got to get these jobs done in between the rain showers! It is a great weather forecast the next few days. We may hit the dizzying heights of 75 degrees..........

Time for my breakfast........ sleep well in America, and Zola, LC, and Star - have a great day......

Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
I grew up on Long Island NY which is about 45 minutes from NYC. I got my fill when I was a kid Now I prefer less crowds

BTW, I saw some very strange people in San Francisco. Must be the brother of the guy in NY.

I would love to visit the United Kingdom and Ireland. The closest I got was on my way home from Greece. We had a layover in Dublin…but I was out of money by then and couldn't leave the airport

Ooh…Zola..how fun. I've been to a few hot tub parties. Some were soothing and relaxing and some were pretty wild. It's nice to be out watching the stars in one Which reminds me of a story My DH and I were enjoying a sunday morning out on the patio. We used to have a hot tub…but that is not where this story goes Anyway a private plane flew over our valley and Mike says to me "oh that's so and so..let's have some fun and moon him" OK…so we did. The next week we ran into "so and so" and Mike said so what did you think of our show? He said that wasn't me

Mike and I were talking about inventors and how some people changed the world this morning. I now have a list of books to look for Then we added how the man who came up with the "pet rock" laughed himself all the way to the bank, lol.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:12 AM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Hi all - I did my trip report in two posts over at a thread in the Travel forum. https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ug-2016-a.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Isn't it funny........ here we are scattered in different parts of the world, and yet some of us have been to the very same small place at the top of the Empire State Building!

Judy and I were walking along, and we came to the Flat Iron Building. Judy says, "it looks familiar David." I told her it was used in the first 'Spiderman' film.
I love when you share that kind of thought with us Also adore the iconic flat iron building!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
BTW, I saw some very strange people in San Francisco. Must be the brother of the guy in NY.

Ooh…Zola..how fun. I've been to a few hot tub parties.

Then we added how the man who came up with the "pet rock" laughed himself all the way to the bank, lol.
I think I saw the same guy in San Fran!

Eek - I was shuddering when dear Zola mentioned the hot tub. Bacteria

I had a pet rock that I lugged home from an excursion - more of a pet bolder. Gosh, I used to remember its name but now it slipped. Its still at my mom's house in the den.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Hi all - I did my trip report in two posts over at a thread in the Travel forum. https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ug-2016-a.html

I love when you share that kind of thought with us Also adore the iconic flat iron building!

I had a pet rock that I lugged home from an excursion - more of a pet bolder. Gosh, I used to remember its name but now it slipped. Its still at my mom's house in the den.
I'll go read that toos...... It is interesting to think some of us have been in the very same spot on top of a tall building isn't it?.......

The flat iron building is fantastic, and so unusual. I think I read it's one of the first buildings of it's type built in Manhattan.

Gawd, I should think your pet rock starved to death by now at your mum's house........

Judy is next to me laughing at an old telly show called 'Dad's Army.' The last show was made about 40 years ago, and it's still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY-Y0I8DkY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics