Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 06:12 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times

Advertisements

Ugh - Monday. I'm dreading it too, except it's better than the alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I've just laughed at what Zola said........ she is so right! I was the same listening to my grandmother talking about what you could do with 10p in the year 1900........
Where you really? That surprises me from you. I was the opposite - always listened in rapt attention to my grandparents and anyone who cared to reminisce, really. I have such fond memories of their memories! My mom will be 90 next month and I know how lucky we are to have her and that she is, not just lucid, but a real firecracker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Ohhh it is mate and I'm often nostalgic about the 60s/70s... Even though I was still a twinkle in my old mans eye! LOL

I'd love to live in that era....easier, less stressful way of life. humour plus " free love " I could put up with I'm sure!
There was all that and more - not sure how stress free it was for many...war, protests, civil unrest, civil rights, riots, gas shortages, and inflation. You got your rose colored glasses on tonight I definitely have my own nostalgia for parts of the 70s and previous decades I wasn't even here for, though. I guess it's natural to remember the good stuff and simpler times

After 8pm and still about 95F out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 06:25 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,578,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ugh - Monday. I'm dreading it too, except it's better than the alternative.

Where you really? That surprises me from you. I was the opposite - always listened in rapt attention to my grandparents and anyone who cared to reminisce, really. I have such fond memories of their memories! My mom will be 90 next month and I know how lucky we are to have her and that she is, not just lucid, but a real firecracker.

There was all that and more - not sure how stress free it was for many...war, protests, civil unrest, civil rights, riots, gas shortages, and inflation. You got your rose colored glasses on tonight I definitely have my own nostalgia for parts of the 70s and previous decades I wasn't even here for, though. I guess it's natural to remember the good stuff and simpler times

After 8pm and still about 95F out there.
Yeah but I'm mainly going on what my dad and others his age have told me about the 60s and 70s and sounds great

just googled rose coloured glasses and yes you're probably right and I am only looking at the pleasant and happy stuff, just like I would look to the future with positivity and optimism my love ...

Old 08-14-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah but I'm mainly going on what my dad and others his age have told me about the 60s and 70s and sounds great

just googled rose coloured glasses and yes you're probably right and I am only looking at the pleasant and happy stuff, just like I would look to the future with positivity and optimism my love ...
Heehee - well if you take after your dad at all, I'm guessing he and his mates made the most of those decades!

Ah you edited it before I could reply - yes, it is very you - sunny and optimistic - no complaints! hmmph - we need a built in heart smiley here at CD.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:38 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,578,410 times
Quote:
Heehee - well if you take after your dad at all, I'm guessing he and his mates made the most of those decades!

Ah you edited it before I could reply - yes, it is very you - sunny and optimistic - no complaints! hmmph - we need a built in heart smiley here at CD.
Well erm..... I've drank in a few pubs growing up with a few that knew my dad growing up.... And yup he was a lad LOL

LOL yeah a he have noticed that.... They say you shouldn't trust a bloke that doesn't curse..... I'm still as trustworthy as they come as I love a good moan up or whinge LMAO

And as her majesty requested...... ❤️

Old 08-15-2016, 12:47 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Rise and shine, UK peeps

It's Monday morning, half way through August; warm sunny day thus far, which is good because I am solar powered ("Solar Zola" ha!) and I love the sunshine first thing of a morning.

Am now in the office going through my emails, drinking vending machine coffee, with a very cheery disposition on my boat-race! Half the office staff are off on holiday this week, including my boss. Which means I can be left in peace to get on with all the jobs he's been chasing me up about over the last couple of weeks! I work much more efficiently if people would just leave me at alone to get on with it.

Might venture off to the City Library after work - two reasons really. I do like reading in the library as opposed to reading at home as there's fewer distractions, and it's the perfect environment.

And secondly, there's a librarian I have my eye on (I am so shallow sometimes, lol) I get the impression we've been mildly flirting on the last 2 or 3 occasions- but I can't tell for sure. So I think I'll go to her desk and ask her for a summary of the works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Actually, he is a very good read, especially "Crime and Punishment" and "The Idiot")

Always difficult how to play these mind games. Just like a game of chess in fact. And I'm pretty rubbish at chess

Watch this space

Old 08-15-2016, 01:14 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:

Good morning all...... I'm up and at 'em, and have the washing machine going. Once I get it out on the line, I'll get on with the painting out here in the kitchen. I have put it off as long as I could, but it's got to be done........ I guess........ Just gorgeous out there this morning. It'll be the same for Zola, Star, and LC!

It was difficult for me toos....... I was moved from my comfortable home, with my friends living nearby, and made to live with my grandmother. I was 14 years old, and not much interested in an old lady's ramblings. Not at first anyway. I don't think my grandmother was over pleased with having a kid forced on her either!

I had never spent much time with her before I moved into her house. She was 77 years old at the time, and was born in 1891. She had a small pension to live on, and was very concerned to have enough shilling coins to put in her electricity and gas meters....... Many a time the electric would go off, and we were suddenly in darkness. Then it was the hunting for a shilling coin to put into the meter.

I was out a lot, and spent some time next door, with my dad and his girl friend, or otherwise in my room. I just couldn't connect with this, to me, very old lady, who seemed to live in the past. One night, I had been out somewhere, and returned home. I entered the front door, and pushed past the hanging curtain my Gran had inside. She was sat by the coal fire with the lights out. I remember her face lit by the dying flames. She had a cup of tea in her hands, and was gazing into the fire. I greeted her, and for once sat by her side, instead of just going upstairs to my room.

I said something along the lines of, "you seem deep in thought Gran." She said quietly she was thinking about her children. I thought she meant my dad, and the other four siblings, and said so. "Oh no" she replied, "I was thinking about the ones that died......." I was astonished. This was news to me. She then told me about the SIX children she had lost. One by one to illness way back during the First World War, and the 1920s. All very young children, except one, who was named Nora, who had died of a brain tumour aged 20.

Even I, as a 14 year old kid could grasp the sheer tragedy of what she was telling me. She went from that, to talking about the Second World War, and her son John being a prisoner of the Germans for five long years. Then from that, talking about the young American soldiers she met from 1942 onwards. By now, I was riveted by what she was telling me. All the time she was looking into the fire, with tears in her eyes.

I saw her differently after that evening, but still didn't find many opportunities to talk to her that way again. There is so much now I wish I had asked her about. She lived and died within a couple of miles of where she had been born. She led a simple life with little money, and few possessions. One thing she loved was a piece of pottery. It was shaped as an open book, and had a prayer printed into it. I wish I could remember the words, as I know they meant a lot to her. What happened to it after she died, I don't know. She was a window to the distant past, and I wish I had understood that more way back then.

I laughed when LC had to go look up 'rose tinted glasses.' You're right not everything in the 60s and 70s were good. We do tend to remember the happy times, and forget the bad. But, I guess when you're young, and full of hope, you brush aside the bad, and embrace the good. The 70s for me, were great days. So much happened to me in those 10 years.

I was forced from my home by my stepmother in 1970, and ended up in the army. The next four years were a whirlwind of change in my life. So much happened just in those four years in the army. Then coming out in 1974, and starting my life with my first wife. By 1980, we had two children, and were about to move into our second mortgaged home. They were exciting days for sure.I love to hear the enthusiasm of Zola and LC talking about their lives now. One day they will find themselves talking about these days they are living now. "You could go out with only £200, and have a great night......." The listener will say, "wow....... that is just amazing........."......

Right........ that is enough waffling for now........ time to go and get my stepladder, paint, and brushes.

Have a great day all, and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts LC, Zola, and Star!!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Rise and shine, UK peeps

It's Monday morning, half way through August; warm sunny day thus far, which is good because I am solar powered ("Solar Zola" ha!) and I love the sunshine first thing of a morning.

Am now in the office going through my emails, drinking vending machine coffee, with a very cheery disposition on my boat-race! Half the office staff are off on holiday this week, including my boss. Which means I can be left in peace to get on with all the jobs he's been chasing me up about over the last couple of weeks! I work much more efficiently if people would just leave me at alone to get on with it.

Might venture off to the City Library after work - two reasons really. I do like reading in the library as opposed to reading at home as there's fewer distractions, and it's the perfect environment.

And secondly, there's a librarian I have my eye on (I am so shallow sometimes, lol) I get the impression we've been mildly flirting on the last 2 or 3 occasions- but I can't tell for sure. So I think I'll go to her desk and ask her for a summary of the works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Actually, he is a very good read, especially "Crime and Punishment" and "The Idiot")

Always difficult how to play these mind games. Just like a game of chess in fact. And I'm pretty rubbish at chess

Watch this space
This is what I mean....... Morning Zola. You posted while I was typing. Have a great day girl, your enthusiasm for life makes me smile.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:36 AM

Ya gotta laugh. I've finally got ready for painting the kitchen. I have put protective tape down next to the paintwork........ Judy has watched with satisfaction as I finally get on with the job. I opened the can of paint, and it's solid.......... I have poked at it with a stick....... solid as a rock. The job has come to a halt!

Judy has got in her car, and has driven back to the shop where we bought it. She likes that shade of apple green....... I sit here now awaiting her return. Mebbe they won't have any more of colours of paint Judy likes. Mebbe I can put this job off till next year.

Mebbe not.........

Old 08-15-2016, 03:46 AM

Good day all! Looking to be 90s here again and sunshiny. If only it weren't Monday at work

Dave - thanks for the context. Those circumstances and transition would make it difficult for anyone. Happy for you that you ended up embracing her - and happy for us if you picked up any of your penchant for raconteurship from her. I get a kick out of how you develop the simplest moment into a full exposition
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
She likes that shade of apple green....... I sit here now awaiting her return. Mebbe they won't have any more of colours of paint Judy likes. Mebbe I can put this job off till next year
Hope springs eternal

Old 08-15-2016, 04:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
I love hearing stories about days gone by but I wasn't always like that. I do remember my one grandmother showing me pictures of her and her husband when they were young. I knew she grew up during the depression and came from a huge family. Something like 13 kids and her parents both died. Other than that she never talked of her childhood or her family. Later I often wondered what happened to all of them. Now I get my fill from all kinds of historical books.

Dave does tell us some colorful stories

Ooh…Zola…good luck to you. I hate games like that. Maybe you could ask her for something by Sarah Waters like Tipping the Velvet to feel her out

Toosie-Have you ever heard of the Delaney Sisters? They lived over 100 years together. Can you imagine? Anyway the title is Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years. You might enjoy it.

We finished all of the yard work yesterday for the week…yay. I almost lost Mike and the lawnmower in the ditch line though We live on some very steep property and our driveway is about 1/2 mile long. We have rock ditch lines on one side of the drive for water run off. The other side some of it has a very small strip of grass…then mountain and sometimes creek or ditch. Anyway I have been trailing Mike in the Jeep as he goes down the sides with the mower. I am there in case he gets stuck and I have to pull him out with the chains. All of this so I don't have to weedeat the whole thing Well one of our pull outs yesterday and the mower started to go backwards towards the ditch. Mike was trying to grab the brake while I was inside the jeep yelling "let it go". Seriously the lawn mower is not worth his getting hurt over. Luckily the curb caught the front tires and it was only hanging halfway in the rock ditch. Welcome to my world, lol Anyway we got it pulled out and both Mike and the mower were fine. We should have a less exciting day today.

We are in planning mode Our friend's from Florida are coming to visit soon, then we go to see family in NY. Ugh….the traffic is killer there. Then we can start making our fall/winter traveling plans

Speaking of paychecks, I haven't seen one of those in years. We get a yearly pay out when things go well We remodel houses and we get paid when we sell, lol.

OK…Mike's up…gotta go. Have a wonderful day

Last edited by ylisa7; 08-15-2016 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics