Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 04:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,152,936 times

Advertisements

I thought he wanted to do this 1000 peice puzzle of the 7 Wonders of the World WITH me...but he's been on his ipad this whole time & all I have so far is just a portion of the Great Wall of China done. So it looks like it's going to be a long night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:41 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I'll go read that toos...... It is interesting to think some of us have been in the very same spot on top of a tall building isn't it?.......

The flat iron building is fantastic, and so unusual. I think I read it's one of the first buildings of it's type built in Manhattan.

Gawd, I should think your pet rock starved to death by now at your mum's house........

Judy is next to me laughing at an old telly show called 'Dad's Army.' The last show was made about 40 years ago, and it's still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY-Y0I8DkY
Be prepared - its not brief! I did break it up into smaller sections and bolded my highlights for skimmers Feel free to add to the thread for anyone coming behind us!

Rock still surviving somehow - strong will to live.

Oh my family would have fun watching that together
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Hadn't thought about that really! But I've indulged in a number of HTPs over the years, and not once has there been any cases of bacterial infection. And I'm sure our host put some kind of chemical that kills off pesky bacteria. And in case I always have a good shower afterwards

I still haven't visited the US yet. It's definitely on my bucket-list, but I think all the hassle of actually entering the country puts me off (even though I understand the concern)

There are many places in the US that intrigue me, but there are some that I really do want to visit as a priority - Mount Rushmore, being one. The Grand Canyon, being another. Then there's Redwood Forest, Denali, Red Rock Country in Utah; Death Valley & Yellowstone.

All of these are out in the middle of nowhere, well away from the populated urban areas. NYC, I would also add to my list, but I prefer the more natural areas, almost completely untouched my mankind.

One day....
Hope you make it here someday! There's so much to see and do besides major cities. You could add Yosemite to your list as well - convenient with a visit to the redwood forest - and a side jaunt to San Francisco if you felt like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I'm just gonna take a look!...

Update: sounds like you had a brilliant time, and had some great British food! I had to laugh about the Harrods bit. I was on a trip to London with my parents, as a youngster, and we went into Harrods just to use their toilets (although I think my mother bought something tiny, just to look like we were there shopping)!
Oh gosh you read it before I put my disclaimer to Dave. You brave soul! Haha - too funny about our similar Harrods experience! Yes, it was Ab Fab - everything - oh I'm longing for more roast! Actually, the meat is the least of it - those leeks and that yorkshire pudding and the little roasties! Yuuuum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Haven't any of you Brits been watching the Olympics?! We're third in the medals table!! Which is amazing really, seeing that we're only a little piddling country!
Yes congrats! My husband was opining the same as you - comparing populations and $$ toward training - really impressive showings - not just by UK but also Hungary and some other countries.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:42 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,637,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I thought he wanted to do this 1000 peice puzzle of the 7 Wonders of the World WITH me...but he's been on his ipad this whole time & all I have so far is just a portion of the Great Wall of China done. So it looks like it's going to be a long night.
Hi - hadn't seen you there. Hmmph - left holding the pieces, as it were. Sounds like a neat puzzle!

Old 08-13-2016, 05:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,085,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Oh gosh you read it before I put my disclaimer to Dave. You brave soul! Haha - too funny about our similar Harrods experience! Yes, it was Ab Fab - everything - oh I'm longing for more roast! Actually, the meat is the least of it - those leeks and that yorkshire pudding and the little roasties! Yuuuum!

Yes congrats! My husband was opining the same as you - comparing populations and $$ toward training - really impressive showings - not just by UK but also Hungary and some other countries.
I thought you wrote an excellent account of your holiday - very informative to people who are thinking of a trip to London.

A proper British roast dinner with all the trimmings has got to be one of my favourite meals. Yes, roasties are lovely and so is Yorkshire Pudding, especially with some gravy in it.

I've often gone into shops and pubs just to use their toilets! They are so much better than 'public conveniences', which stink of **** quite frankly. I quite like the toilets at McDonalds too!

I thought Team GB did well at the last Olympics in London. I didn't think they would do as well this time but they are exceeding expectations.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 PM

24,782 posts, read 28,623,349 times
Hot Roast Beef Sandwich.. Hard crust Italian Bread.. with a giant gob of rare roast beef drop on a slice smothered in hot silky gravy dripping.. then add the next slice.. again smothered in hot gravy and dripping.. large pile of succulent French fries.. again smothered in gravy...with large glass of iced coke~a~cola with a straw.. Burp

Old 08-14-2016, 03:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times
Had a bit of a lie-in this morning. Woke up at 6 rather than 4:30

However, and not for the first time, I woke up to find myself lying 90% to the bed! In other words my head and feet were hanging over the sides of the bed!

Absolutely no idea how I got into that position! And it does happen quite often, even when I'm sharing the bed with someone else

Have sometimes contemplated using one of those CCTV cameras in my bedroom to record my movements throughout the night, but never found the time to do it.

Anyway, it's 10am, and need some breakfast. Scrambled eggs on toast appeals

Old 08-14-2016, 03:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Had a bit of a lie-in this morning. Woke up at 6 rather than 4:30

However, and not for the first time, I woke up to find myself lying 90% to the bed! In other words my head and feet were hanging over the sides of the bed!

Absolutely no idea how I got into that position! And it does happen quite often, even when I'm sharing the bed with someone else

Have sometimes contemplated using one of those CCTV cameras in my bedroom to record my movements throughout the night, but never found the time to do it.

Anyway, it's 10am, and need some breakfast. Scrambled eggs on toast appeals
Mornin' Zola...... Same here...... it was almost 8am when I made it downstairs........ a real lie in for me!

It's getting on towards 11am, and I haven't even had any breakfast yet..... I just can't be bothered making it.

Have yourself a nice relaxing Sunday.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
Hi all….the dog woke me up at 4:30. and now the little princess is snoring next to me

Zola-I've never had trouble with hot tubs but I do like when I smell bleach, lol.

Ooh…a trip sounds great. Take pics for your American friends when you go in September.

Star-That is so great that you got the opportunity to travel the US. My DH and I hit the road in a big motorhome and traveled the country for 3 1/2 years. We stopped full time traveling when we built this house in TN…but we get the itch to move every 3 months or so. He was looking at even bigger motorhomes last night…I told him our smaller one now is fine Boys and their toys. Besides I don't want to drive a 45 foot bus

Congrats on the medals. What were they in? I am not a big watcher/spectator of things but I can appreciate the floor gymnasts and in the winter I like the ice skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
How did you do?

Dave-How is your kitchen?

I'm off to check out Toosie's trip

Old 08-14-2016, 04:25 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Dave-How is your kitchen?
Good morning Lisa....... I'm sat on my perch out in the kitchen right now....... it's just the same! I am doing the painting tomorrow morning, after a weekend mentally preparing myself.

Then a break on Tuesday to go over to Blackpool. That'll give the paint plenty of time to dry properly....

Wednesday, is supposed to be wallpapering day. This morning Judy said, "by the time we all have our showers, and I do mum's hair....... it'll be a bit late to start wallpapering David....." Well, this surprised me, but I let her talk on....... "maybe Thursday will be a better day to paper the walls." I nodded in agreement.

The longer away it is, the better I feel. But, sooner or later, like it or lump it, I'm going to have to get out my wallpaper brushes.

I'll think about that tomorrow while I'm painting........

Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,467,317 times
Dave-You know when to stay quiet I don't mind painting but I have never out up wallpaper…only taken it down and it was not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics