Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times

Advertisements

The store where I work has TVs for sale but no cable to show how good the picture is. They do have a DVD player hooked up so I found a couple old Disney movies (Mr. Walt Disney's movies, not the Disney most youngsters watch now) on DVD that we've been watching. Everybody seems to enjoy The Absent Minded Professor, with Fred McMurray, and also, Thomasina, about the cat. Both movies from the early 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,165,845 times
The milk man delivering milk.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
I got my Smithsonian magazine and was appalled/amused to find a short article about "nylons" and how they are such a thing of the past and no one wears them any more. I sure wore them up to about three years ago, when I learned from a niece that nylons are way out of fashion. Not good news for old white ladies!

And you know you're old when something you commonly wore is the subject of an article in Smithsonian!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
The milk man delivering milk.
And the ice man delivering ice.

And the coal man delivering coal.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 AM

576 posts, read 422,457 times
When MTV played music instead of reality TV

Old 06-05-2015, 07:41 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,604 times
The Dial Phone

The was a trimline style phone that had the dial on the inside part that you hold, very cool was this came out

Pay phones that had a slot for 0.5 - .10 - .25

I had one of the first VHS - it was really heavy, made well and lasted over 20 years. When I took it to have it repaired the guy said how much he loved seeing this machine but felt it would have cost to much to repair. I really wanted it repaired, and at the time was sorry I didn't because all the plastic junk VHS machines that were for sale were so poorly made they weren't worth purchasing. So the VHS I bought lasted less than a year and so on . . .

Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
I'm so old I remember... The majority of the kids I hung around with lived at their grandparents farm.. they had the old time wood.. crank and flip the receiver to get operator.. "NO" Rotary Dialer or Push Buttons.. You told the operator the party you wanted to speak with.. or if long distance your name and address.. you got a bill from.. And along with the old time phone a portion of the farm house had exposed electrical wire running down the wall. Covered in cloth and terminals to hold it off the wall.. the switch was a push button switch.. the wall plugs maybe 2-3 in the entire house was ceramic and only two slots no ground.. the ceilings were tin with a design.. and the back entrance to the kitchen is were the pies cooled after backing and were the heavy winter jackets were hung.. along with a flash light and a oil lamp.. for the 2 am stroll to the out house 50--75 feet out back.. on the porch sat a gasoline powered washing machine.. you had a foot pedal you pushed down quickly.. 1-2 speed agitator open no lid.. and a set of rollers.. the Mangler had several setting for wringing out your clothes.. between wash and rise..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qpDgSktoE8 and for the drain... lay the hose on the porch and water the flowers.. and refill..

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 06-06-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
I'm so old I remember... As in post 5137 the Old Farm house was built.. just a guess 1850-1860 just before the Civil War or around that time.. it had a water cistern a large area in the basement.. that held rain water. The basement was also the root cellar for canning and root vegetables only about 5 feet tall hand laid field stone and dirt floor. Timbers were cut from the trees when they cleared the land to built the farm house. The water came from the rain and " LEAD" pipe collected the water into the cistern.. a single " Lead Pipe" went up to the kitchen were along side the soap stone sink a small picture pump was attached.. the drain from the sink went out back into a slip trench filled full of gravel. The over flow from the cistern also ended up in the same trench.. This cistern was higher than the out house out back. That's how they did it then. Only sink in the house.. The hot water came from the massive cast iron cooking & heating stove in the kitchen 8 burners and a 20-30 gallon copper water tank on the side with a relief valve like a steam kettle.. got to hot it would open up and spit and sputtered. Had a faucet at the bottom.. kids would stand in a giant galvanized tub.. while gram mother or mom soaped you down and scrub you down.. 1-2 times a week.. up till you got old enough to say "NO" I will do it..

Old 06-07-2015, 06:15 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,604 times
^^^^ Thank you Tin Man for sharing so many cherished memories

Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,826,250 times
Everybody had those rain bonnets in the little tiny plastic cases.....I loved mine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics