Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times

Advertisements

I like to travel in normal times & the last few years I've been using Google Maps a lot. It's amazing for knowing where you are & how to get somewhere & how far you've walked at the end of the day. I'm afraid I now look like one of those millennials who are constantly checking their phone screens on the street, it really is something.

But that isn't what I learned recently, although using the Maps to find a restaurant/cafe nearby in a strange city is new too.

What I only found out only AFTER my last trip, after staring at menus that were incomprehensible to me other than a few items, was that I can use Google Translate on my phone & aim at the menu/sign/document/etc & it will show me an english translation on the screen instantly. It probably has done that for years but I just found this out last month.

For some reason I'm still hesitant to use Siri or Alexa at all, but I understand there is a lot of funny things you can ask/do with them, especially Alexa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 03:30 AM

882 posts, read 767,197 times
I found out when my own children were 34 and 29 that baby onesies were designed so that when the baby had a blow out, the neck could go over their shoulders and pulled down over the diaper. Would have saved a lot of nastiness had known 34 years ago.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:19 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I found out when my own children were 34 and 29 that baby onesies were designed so that when the baby had a blow out, the neck could go over their shoulders and pulled down over the diaper. Would have saved a lot of nastiness had known 34 years ago.
Not sure I understand.
Baby onesies have an easy access to change diapers (in-the-front bottom snap closure).
To remove the onesies you can open the bottom and roll up or widen the neck to pull it down.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
I still don't understand why there are 7 colors in the rainbow. Three primary colors - Red, Blue, Yellow. Three in-between colors - Violet (R&B mixed), Green (B&Y mixed) and Orange (R&Y mixed). So what's with Indigo - bluish purple? Why not have a greenish yellow or an orangey red?

One thing I learned - FEMA will send nurses to help out in an emergency - local nursing home got hit hard by Covid, staff and patients, some staff were working with no days off. FEMA nurses to the rescue.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I drove a stick shift for 42 years. My left foot is for the clutch. It is now remaining firmly planted on the floor so I don’t screw up and hit the brake, because I forgot I drive an automatic now.

It’s been two years.... tried to shift the other day.
I alternate between stick shift and automatic equipped vehicles. Too often do stupid stuff as result, such as slammi g my left foot to the floor to depress a clutch that doesn't exist or stalling out the car at a traffic light because I neglected to depress the clutch that does exist.

Oh well, I made these same errors 40 years ago when also alternating vehicles with the same differences.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:06 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I like to travel in normal times & the last few years I've been using Google Maps a lot. It's amazing for knowing where you are & how to get somewhere & how far you've walked at the end of the day. I'm afraid I now look like one of those millennials who are constantly checking their phone screens on the street, it really is something.

But that isn't what I learned recently, although using the Maps to find a restaurant/cafe nearby in a strange city is new too.

What I only found out only AFTER my last trip, after staring at menus that were incomprehensible to me other than a few items, was that I can use Google Translate on my phone & aim at the menu/sign/document/etc & it will show me an english translation on the screen instantly. It probably has done that for years but I just found this out last month.

For some reason I'm still hesitant to use Siri or Alexa at all, but I understand there is a lot of funny things you can ask/do with them, especially Alexa.
Isn't that amazing? O brave new world! (Although sometimes the instant translations are funny.)

Old 12-28-2020, 06:29 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
That the universe is expanding. I had no idea. I also only recently found out about the relationship between space and time.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:42 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,554,963 times
This year I really started viewing YouTube channels. I now watch more YouTube than tv (maybe an hour a day). I am currently watching a channel called Cruising the Cut, which is about an English chap who lives on his narrow boat and vlogs as he cruises the English canal ways. This is a genuine person and is not a scripted show in the normal sense. Some people are sharing amazing experiences all over the planet. It is sometimes hard to put the tablet down and stop “binge” watching. You can find YouTube channels about people climbing mountains, sailing oceans, living in rvs, creating art, remodeling homes, etc, etc, etc.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:09 AM

43,134 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
“From the head down?”

The 7 Chakras:
https://www.healthline.com/health/fi...cise/7-chakras

Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This year I really started viewing YouTube channels. I now watch more YouTube than tv (maybe an hour a day). I am currently watching a channel called Cruising the Cut, which is about an English chap who lives on his narrow boat and vlogs as he cruises the English canal ways. This is a genuine person and is not a scripted show in the normal sense. Some people are sharing amazing experiences all over the planet. It is sometimes hard to put the tablet down and stop “binge” watching. You can find YouTube channels about people climbing mountains, sailing oceans, living in rvs, creating art, remodeling homes, etc, etc, etc.
Youtube, yes. Since i discovered i can watch it / stream it on my TV with Roku i watch it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics