Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 03:06 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times

Advertisements

I have no TV and watch Youtube on my laptop, as well as IMDB TV, Pluto TV, Kanopy for films, all free. I found out that when I wake up at 2 AM and can't go back to sleep, I put on a boring YT video on my Kindle and bam - out like a light. There is a channel that explores abandoned mines, it's great. One of these days I'll have to actually watch one of them and see what it's all about.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
I have walked through a maze of rigged systems and traps designed to bring me and others down- only the still small voice of god kept me from the pit
I can so clearly see them now -but when young and stupid -was blind as a bat

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-28-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 03:25 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have no TV and watch Youtube on my laptop, as well as IMDB TV, Pluto TV, Kanopy for films, all free. I found out that when I wake up at 2 AM and can't go back to sleep, I put on a boring YT video on my Kindle and bam - out like a light. There is a channel that explores abandoned mines, it's great. One of these days I'll have to actually watch one of them and see what it's all about.
I love documentaries, but I realized that a certain narrator's voice has the effect of putting me right to sleep, even though the show is wonderful, literally breathtakingly beautiful. It was called Planet Earth and was narrated by David Attenborough. It's available on BBC, you can stream it on the internet. Something about his voice just knocks me out, literally. ZZZZZzzzzz.....

Old 12-28-2020, 03:40 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Streaming TV

I kind of knew what it was, but have never used it. I really do not watch TV. It is on but only on the Hallmark Channel - lol

But today someone wanted to know if it was streamed, so had to look it up and then see what exactly was involved.

Maybe when I crack open my four year old present - smart TV - I will set it up. TV is still in the box.

Hey current TV is still semi good.
I am pretty much addicted to streaming video. I cut the cable cord a bit over a year ago when my local cable company went to all-digital so there was no such thing any more as "cable from the wall" (i.e., just the wall connection would work fine for viewing and recording). In other words, I would now have to pay for a digital decoder box for each and every TV in my house, and since I did a TON of recording for my job so have a lot of TVs for that, it would be 10-11 boxes at a separate monthly charge for each (I think $6 each). No thanks. (Alas, no OTA channels where I live.)

I have a Roku for each of half a dozen TVs because even my "smart" TVs never worked great for streaming. That was disappointing but the Roku solved the problem very easily so it wasn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
YouTube is a staple for me, as well. I watch colorists work magic with colored pencils. But I’ve discovered a channel that shows restored and colorized old—really old—film clips. These are films of everyday people, mostly. I find it fascinating. And this is a new discovery.
This sounds like something I would find fascinating ... but why did they have to COLORIZE them? What's wrong with the original black and white?

Old 12-28-2020, 03:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This year I really started viewing YouTube channels. I now watch more YouTube than tv (maybe an hour a day). I am currently watching a channel called Cruising the Cut, which is about an English chap who lives on his narrow boat and vlogs as he cruises the English canal ways. This is a genuine person and is not a scripted show in the normal sense. Some people are sharing amazing experiences all over the planet. It is sometimes hard to put the tablet down and stop “binge†watching. You can find YouTube channels about people climbing mountains, sailing oceans, living in rvs, creating art, remodeling homes, etc, etc, etc.
I don't watch You Tube but dh watches Cruising the Cut. He corresponds with the guy because it turns out the guy ("a right nice lad") cruises around near where dh grew up. So dh gives him ideas of where to visit and they chat back and forth!

I haven't learned anything lately. Maybe I know everything already (very doubtful) or I am due to start learning pretty soon.)

Old 12-28-2020, 04:02 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
I had been drinking skim milk since the 1970s in an effort to minimize at least a bit of cardiac damage with very little effort needed on my part (but I usually had it with cookies). So last year I found out that whole milk that is pasture raised & grass fed, just like in ye olde days, is healthier since the effect of being "free-range" means the dairy has omega-3 oils & those are contained in the fat. Last night I was reading an article about general health tips in aging & it mentioned that recent university studies have shown that whole milk drinkers have tended to live longer than low/non-fat milk drinkers.

Nothing in the article about the superiority of blended vs single malt scotch so I will continue to research that.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:23 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you now know the 7 colors of the rainbow then you also know the 7 chakras as they are in the opposite order from the head down
I only learned the 7 chakras this past year.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:45 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
A couple of weeks ago I learned that Neil Young and Stephen Stills were part of Buffalo Springfield. 1. I didn't know that 2. WHY didn't I know that? 3. I SHOULD have known that.

Cat
I DID know that one, but only in the past few years when I started listening to some of the music that was out when I was still a kid.

I also didn't know until a year or so ago that Rod Stewart was in a band called Faces before he was known for being Rod Stewart.

And I always thought that the line in The Band's "The Weight" was "take a load off, Manny". It is Fanny, confirmed by Robbie Robertson, but a lot of people think it is Annie.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:49 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Default See below

That is when he had the hit Maggie May.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
I found out my favorite uncle was a philanderer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics