Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 08:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
VIBGYOR. That is how I always remember it.
Ha - I much prefer Roy G. Biv...now, what's the mnemonic so you remember that red is on the outside and violet is the innermost...? All I can do is remember that red is the longer wavelength and the outside of the rainbow is the larger arc so that matches up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am still learning some tricks regarding use of this vBulletin board. Just recently other member told me how to leave reputation comment while using a phone. I struggled with that a long time...
Haven't been able to leave a rep comment on CD in years. I've wanted to reply to many comments only i can't because I use my phone to come here. Don't want to visit CD on my computer or tablet

If you have a workaround please post it here.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Anyone in here is aware that dinosaurs are not extinct? And that birds are dinosaurs?

Old 12-28-2020, 09:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Haven't been able to leave a rep comment on CD in years. I've wanted to reply to many comments only i can't because I use my phone to come here. Don't want to visit CD on my computer or tablet

If you have a workaround please post it here.
On my phone, at the top of the post I am reading, there is a clickable icon of scales. Click it, and a reputation comment box pops up.

For me, I have to click the give reputation bar twice, to post, and then get a thing saying you can’t leave rep twice, before it goes away.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:59 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
...Actually there should only be 6 colors in the rainbow, but historically indigo was added, probably by Isaac Newton, who was influenced by Pythagoras, who practically invented mathematics and saw how there were 7s everywhere. That in turn comes from the bible, as the bible seemed to create the idea that 7 was a perfect number (Earth created in 7 days, 7 deadly sins, etc), so since 7 was God's favorite number, and the rainbow was supposed to have been created by God after the flood, thus Newton named indigo as a 7th color to make the rainbow with God's perfect number. Technically the rainbow could have infinite colors if you're going to start mixing primary colors with secondary colors as is done to make indigo (blue + purple). I've always called that color blue-violet anyway. If you're going to do that, we could have a rainbow that goes: red, persimmon, orange, mango, yellow, chartreuse, green, aqua, blue, indigo, violet, and many more in between each of those.
I agree with this explanation about the 7 colors in a rainbow. I have a prism that I keep in my window. On the few sunny winter days, it projects a rainbow on my wall. I only see 6 colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet. No indigo. My walls are white, so the colors are not being distorted.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:53 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I agree with this explanation about the 7 colors in a rainbow. I have a prism that I keep in my window. On the few sunny winter days, it projects a rainbow on my wall. I only see 6 colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet. No indigo. My walls are white, so the colors are not being distorted.
Color is MUCH more complex than that. Our experience of color is what most people incorrectly equate to the complete subject and range of color. There are various types and degrees of color-blindness, but compared to some animals, all of us are color-blind to a large extent, and haven't sharpened the abilities we have.

There is a remote jungle tribe that, for whatever reason, can differentiate variations in the color blue about ten times better than average. Some people see slightly more into the ultraviolet than others. Birds have an extended range of color perception. What we "see" is a tiny slice of a spectrum that is huge.

Orange wasn't even a word for thousands of years. All red and orange was lumped under "red." Much of color theory, as used in painting or decorating, is based upon the weaknesses of our eyes in distinguishing pure color from additive color. It gets worse, as we train our eyes to accept HDR in television as "normal," making our perceptions of subtle color shifts go away.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:55 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Isn't that amazing? O brave new world! (Although sometimes the instant translations are funny.)
Some times google translate is just wrong, especially for Hungarian. I know this because a member here has generously been translating emails between myself and my dad's Hungarian brother since 2007. Thankfully I don't need her to do it that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have no TV and watch Youtube on my laptop, as well as IMDB TV, Pluto TV, Kanopy for films, all free. I found out that when I wake up at 2 AM and can't go back to sleep, I put on a boring YT video on my Kindle and bam - out like a light. There is a channel that explores abandoned mines, it's great. One of these days I'll have to actually watch one of them and see what it's all about.
There are some cool shows on TV about underground villages or caves. One yesterday was ice caves in Greenland that was really neat. The others are in places like Europe and I think England where they made bomb shelters during the war. One uses it for some sort of alcohol, I think it was in Keiv. They'd been making it in the limestone underground since the 1800's, said the limestone makes it taste superior. Another uses it to power London's down town district for electricity, water and heat with another using it for their "cloud" super computers.

Apparently there are thousands of miles of man made tunnels all over the world that are now being used for other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am pretty much addicted to streaming video. I cut the cable cord a bit over a year ago when my local cable company went to all-digital so there was no such thing any more as "cable from the wall" (i.e., just the wall connection would work fine for viewing and recording). In other words, I would now have to pay for a digital decoder box for each and every TV in my house, and since I did a TON of recording for my job so have a lot of TVs for that, it would be 10-11 boxes at a separate monthly charge for each (I think $6 each). No thanks. (Alas, no OTA channels where I live.)

I have a Roku for each of half a dozen TVs because even my "smart" TVs never worked great for streaming. That was disappointing but the Roku solved the problem very easily so it wasn't too bad.

This sounds like something I would find fascinating ... but why did they have to COLORIZE them? What's wrong with the original black and white?
Yeah, Comcast does that but now you can actually watch the main box on their app so you need a device or a smart TV with the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I DID know that one, but only in the past few years when I started listening to some of the music that was out when I was still a kid.

I also didn't know until a year or so ago that Rod Stewart was in a band called Faces before he was known for being Rod Stewart.

And I always thought that the line in The Band's "The Weight" was "take a load off, Manny". It is Fanny, confirmed by Robbie Robertson, but a lot of people think it is Annie.
I can see how people, myself included would think Annie because the way he sings "take a load off" then the name, sounds like Annie cause you hear him sing the "F" in off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
On my phone, at the top of the post I am reading, there is a clickable icon of scales. Click it, and a reputation comment box pops up.

For me, I have to click the give reputation bar twice, to post, and then get a thing saying you can’t leave rep twice, before it goes away.
I have that issue on my computer with having to hit it multiple times. Royal pain in the a$$. Wish they'd fix it already. Most people see I hand out tons of reps, actually most days it tells me I've handed out too much in 24 hours. That's how I can rep some people so much if anyone wondered about that lol There are days I'm lazy where I just paste in my name instead of saying I agree.

On my android cell I can only leave rep by "rate this post positively" which shows as quick rep on the person's rep page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Totally agree with you on only seeing 6 colors. I don't know why they say there's 7. Indigo is a purplish blue.

I remember it by RGB, red, green blue. I know orange goes after red and yellow is the next logical color with green coming next, then blue and purple last.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:20 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,304,325 times
If you were a Rainbow (young girls organization) in early life, you would NEVER forget the 7 colors of the rainbow. That is imprinted on my brain like a brand and will never be forgot.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:35 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
This is all black & white to me.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 AM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I know what the other poster is saying, though. I can click the icon with the scales on my phone, too, but I can't leave a rep note in the box. As soon as I touch the box, it disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics