Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 AM

475 posts, read 407,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I also didn't know until a year or so ago that Rod Stewart was in a band called Faces before he was known for being Rod Stewart.
The first concert I went to was the band Chicago in the early 1970s. The opening act was Faces. Great show. The song "Stay With Me" had the whole audience on their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 08:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

3. There is a mnemonic device to aid in remembering the colors, but I promptly forgot it.

Rainbow order:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

I think the mnemonic is ROY G BIV
Many reject the inclusion of indigo in the list of "rainbow colors" because it is a tertiary color, while the rest are primary and secondary colors.

If you're going to include indigo (violet-blue), you should also include the five other tertiary colors: turquoise (blue-green), lime (yellow-green), apricot (orange-yellow), coral (red-orange), and magenta (red-violet).

Which would make the mnemonic RCOAYK G TBIVM, which is hard to pronounce or remember.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:21 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I found out my favorite uncle was a philanderer.
hahaha I had an uncle like that! He was literally juggling 2-3 at a time which is tough for a working class guy! He was not married but had a significant other for about the last 10 years. I always thought it was strange he would never bring her on vacation.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:32 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
A couple of weeks ago I learned that Neil Young and Stephen Stills were part of Buffalo Springfield. 1. I didn't know that 2. WHY didn't I know that? 3. I SHOULD have known that.

Cat
Recently learned that Springsteen's guitar player is also the star of "Lilyhammer" and a co-star of "Sopranos", albeit with a wig. He's so funny and talented ---actor AND musician. Now I'm a fan....
(Steven Van Zandt)

ETA: If you are Scandinavian, you will get such a kick out of the Norwegian stars in that show, a few who also starred in the comedic "Norsemen".

Old 12-29-2020, 09:36 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Anyone in here is aware that dinosaurs are not extinct? And that birds are dinosaurs?
Plus they just found feathers on non-flying dinosaurs (preserved in amber, I guess).

Old 12-29-2020, 09:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Babies have giant heads compared to the rest of their bodies is probably why onesies have large neck openings. I would never even have thought about pulling the onesie off in a downward direction, since the crotch snaps open and create a huge opening to remove it over the babies big noggin. I guess it would work but might stretch out the neck to get it over their butt.

My thing I figured out last year (2019) was that my dad was not my bio-dad, and I have two younger sisters. Big discovery at 60 years old.

I don't see how a mnemonic that doesn't spell anything will help you remember something like the rainbow. I would simply forget the mnemonic. It's much easier to just remember the 3 primary colors and the secondary colors that mixing them produces.

Actually there should only be 6 colors in the rainbow, but historically indigo was added, probably by Isaac Newton, who was influenced by Pythagoras, who practically invented mathematics and saw how there were 7s everywhere. That in turn comes from the bible, as the bible seemed to create the idea that 7 was a perfect number (Earth created in 7 days, 7 deadly sins, etc), so since 7 was God's favorite number, and the rainbow was supposed to have been created by God after the flood, thus Newton named indigo as a 7th color to make the rainbow with God's perfect number. Technically the rainbow could have infinite colors if you're going to start mixing primary colors with secondary colors as is done to make indigo (blue + purple). I've always called that color blue-violet anyway. If you're going to do that, we could have a rainbow that goes: red, persimmon, orange, mango, yellow, chartreuse, green, aqua, blue, indigo, violet, and many more in between each of those.
The thing about rainbow order is that the secondary color comes immediately after the primary color. So all you have to remember is that the first color is red. The next is orange. Obviously the next would be yellow, then green, then blue, then two secondary colors from blue,

Thanks for the info about 7 colors instead of 6.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am pretty much addicted to streaming video. I cut the cable cord a bit over a year ago when my local cable company went to all-digital so there was no such thing any more as "cable from the wall" (i.e., just the wall connection would work fine for viewing and recording). In other words, I would now have to pay for a digital decoder box for each and every TV in my house, and since I did a TON of recording for my job so have a lot of TVs for that, it would be 10-11 boxes at a separate monthly charge for each (I think $6 each). No thanks. (Alas, no OTA channels where I live.)

I have a Roku for each of half a dozen TVs because even my "smart" TVs never worked great for streaming. That was disappointing but the Roku solved the problem very easily so it wasn't too bad.

This sounds like something I would find fascinating ... but why did they have to COLORIZE them? What's wrong with the original black and white?
The colorizing really brings the people to life—so to speak, i like the colorized film better than I would have expected. They not only colorize, they restore the quality.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:06 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Recently learned that Springsteen's guitar player is also the star of "Lilyhammer" and a co-star of "Sopranos", albeit with a wig. He's so funny and talented ---actor AND musician. Now I'm a fan....
(Steven Van Zandt)

ETA: If you are Scandinavian, you will get such a kick out of the Norwegian stars in that show, a few who also starred in the comedic "Norsemen".
I think my son is distantly related to him. He has a 2nd great grandfather who has Van Zandt in their tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know what the other poster is saying, though. I can click the icon with the scales on my phone, too, but I can't leave a rep note in the box. As soon as I touch the box, it disappears.
That's what happens to me on my android, that's why I said this in order to leave rep using an android, has to be "quick rep" bottom left of every post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have that issue on my computer with having to hit it multiple times. Royal pain in the a$$. Wish they'd fix it already. Most people see I hand out tons of reps, actually most days it tells me I've handed out too much in 24 hours. That's how I can rep some people so much if anyone wondered about that lol There are days I'm lazy where I just paste in my name instead of saying I agree.

On my android cell I can only leave rep by "rate this post positively" which shows as quick rep on the person's rep page.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Many reject the inclusion of indigo in the list of "rainbow colors" because it is a tertiary color, while the rest are primary and secondary colors.

If you're going to include indigo (violet-blue), you should also include the five other tertiary colors: turquoise (blue-green), lime (yellow-green), apricot (orange-yellow), coral (red-orange), and magenta (red-violet).

Which would make the mnemonic RCOAYK G TBIVM, which is hard to pronounce or remember.
I don’t make the color rules. All I wanted to do was color a rainbow.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:19 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think my son is distantly related to him. He has a 2nd great grandfather who has Van Zandt in their tree

That's what happens to me on my android, that's why I said this in order to leave rep using an android, has to be "quick rep" bottom left of every post.
On my Android tablet, I touch and hold the scales until a dialogue box pops uo, then "open in new tab" and can add a comment.

Lately, if I just tap the "reputation" tab, it goes to an ad. When I close the ad, I get a message that I can't give rep to the same post twice, even though it's the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics