Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,487,479 times

Advertisements

I got on the bus and noticed the audio announcements, for whatever reason, were turned off. So I asked the bus driver to please stop at a certain stop. He missed my stop...by 2 miles.

My peeve is when buses have no audio and the bus driver forgets to announce your stop when you ask politely. I realize people are human and they forget but it just sucks to have to walk 2 miles. On top, I was lucky to know the area but if I didn't know the area I would have been SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,003,622 times
People can learn a lot from their grand parents. I admire the asian cultures great respect for age. They realize older people do have knowledge and respect their wisdom far more than we do here.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,059,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I got on the bus and noticed the audio announcements, for whatever reason, were turned off. So I asked the bus driver to please stop at a certain stop. He missed my stop...by 2 miles.

My peeve is when buses have no audio and the bus driver forgets to announce your stop when you ask politely. I realize people are human and they forget but it just sucks to have to walk 2 miles. On top, I was lucky to know the area but if I didn't know the area I would have been SOL.
Sorry you had to go through that ... Here I am complaining about how LOUD and obnoxious those automatic audio announcements are but there are many folks that rely on them including those with visual impairments or just those who are new to the area and unfamiliar with the stops. I will quit complaining and daydreaming about throwing a sock at the marquee

Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,059,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
People can learn a lot from their grand parents. I admire the asian cultures great respect for age. They realize older people do have knowledge and respect their wisdom far more than we do here.
I agree ... Respect for elders is lost in our "it's all about ME" culture ...

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,409,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
People can learn a lot from their grand parents. I admire the Asian cultures great respect for age. They realize older people do have knowledge and respect their wisdom far more than we do here.
Oh yeah but sometimes it can get tough. Thailand is very monarchy so respecting older people is strictly enforce (whether they are a couple years older or are grandparents). When they see you they greet you. I do that too. I like their culture. I think I might enforce that on my kids one day.

Last edited by ho hey!; 07-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,834,231 times
My peeve today is coming on late at night after a very hard day's work and reading peeves written by under-achieving little twits who post 4-5 totally insignificant peeves a day, who've never held down either a temporary or a full time job in their two decades on this earth, are supported by their parents who they diss at every opportunity but who they fully expect to financially support them when the college major doesn't work out to a good job, and generally make a mockery of every REAL young person out there who's busting chops. Yep, rather a long sentence but that's MY peeve in a nutshell.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,841,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Pet peeve: The fact that my grandparents are visiting soon. I love my grandparents, but college is a place to get away from them if you know what I mean.
Love your grandparents while they are here. I can assure you that there will come a time when you miss them very much.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,409,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
1. You didn't name any names. But you made that post right after my post. And you've complained about me a lot on this thread. It was obvious you were referring to me

2. Don't you live in Orlando? Orlando is a city (not a big city, but still a city...not rural). And I never said all rural drivers are unable to drive in the city. I'm just saying if they haven't drove in the city, they shouldn't brag about how good of a driver they are. Maybe this is just the people I know. But in my experience, rural people think they're the best drivers, and many of them never drove in the city.

This is not an insult to rural people. In fact, I prefer rural driving over city driving.

Here's an analogy: Someone gets good grades, but they take the easiest classes. The student might get good grades if he took harder classes, but he'll never know until he tries.

For this analogy, easy classes are rural driving and hard classes are city driving. It's possible someone that's used to easy classes (rural driving) will succeed in hard classes (city driving). But like I said, he doesn't know unless he tries the hard classes.
Dude, I got two questions for you. This isn't to insult or judge you, but why do you find everything (or mostly everything) as pet-peeve? Are you ever going to appreciate life as it is one day? We all got pet-peeves but this is just, wow.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,003,622 times
Agencies that don't respond to their email messages. I sent an email to the World Health Organization in Manila, and one to the Pan American Health Organization in NY city. I'm trying to see if we can get help for a guy that has Leprosy, he lives in the Philippines. He's a friend of my fiancee's brother. She was referred to the Philippines Health Service, but they didn't seem to care. So i'm going to have to call the place in NY today and try to get a contact person over there my gal can speak to. Hope I get to talk to someone that has a brain and cares, which isn't always easy to find. I realize they probably get many emails, but certainly they can respond back as this is an urgent request for help.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,490,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My peeve today is coming on late at night after a very hard day's work and reading peeves written by under-achieving little twits who post 4-5 totally insignificant peeves a day, who've never held down either a temporary or a full time job in their two decades on this earth, are supported by their parents who they diss at every opportunity but who they fully expect to financially support them when the college major doesn't work out to a good job, and generally make a mockery of every REAL young person out there who's busting chops. Yep, rather a long sentence but that's MY peeve in a nutshell.
This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. The fact that no one is willing to hire me. THAT is why I never held down a job. And it's not that my college major won't work out. No matter what my major is, it's hard for young people to get a job these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics