Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Students not calling college instructors Dr or Professor or Mr or Mrs. A little respect goes a long way. Familiarity really does breed contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Students not calling college instructors Dr or Professor or Mr or Mrs. A little respect goes a long way. Familiarity really does breed contempt.
I agree! Though I like the distance both ways! Not that I necessarily want to be called Ms. Chimpsky but it would be nice to have that distance in deed. I find way too many professors treat their students like little kids that can just be walked all over. I call my professor Professor LastName and am respectful in every way I can be but he has put me on the spot three times already (for no reason whatsoever, as I have done nothing except answered his questions politely when he asked them) by making really offensive comments about blindness and making himself an "authority" on blindness, e.g. talking about what it's like to be blind right in front of me (I'm blind and he was dead wrong and just insulting about everything), all while making the entire class extremely uncomfortable. He just did it again today and it made me so many times over. If there were more distance there I don't think he would have felt comfortable doing that.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 07-05-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I agree! Though I like the distance both ways! Not that I necessarily want to be called Ms. Chimpsky but it would be nice to have that distance in deed. I find way too many professors treat their students like little kids that can just be walked all over. I call my professor Professor LastName and am respectful in every way I can be but he has put me on the spot three times already (for no reason whatsoever, as I have done nothing except answered his questions politely when he asked them) by making really offensive comments about blindness and making himself an "authority" on blindness, e.g. talking about what it's like to be blind right in front of me (I'm blind and he was dead wrong and just insulting about everything), all while making the entire class extremely uncomfortable. He just did it again today and it made me so many times over. If there were more distance there I don't think he would have felt comfortable doing that.
Perhaps you should let someone in the college admin know about his behavior. It's inexcusable. Sorry you've had to go through that.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I got caught in a dust storm and my care looks like it has been in a mud fight...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Neighbors just started shooting off fireworks. It's time for peace and quiet.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Oh my gosh, me too. My new neighborhood is a lot better than my old neighborhood though.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Those home fireworks drive me batty ... I just wished that folks would stick to the professional ones ... Just read a story in the LA Times about a young girl losing sight to one of her eyes due to a mishap with a firecracker ... I personally know someone who became blind due to attempting to make homemade fireworks when he was a teenager. Those things are dangerous and can start fires so I wish that they were outlawed.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM

People who are blind to their own faults. Someone who doesn't admit that they're as mess up as anyone else in this world.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
People who are blind to their own faults. Someone who doesn't admit that they're as mess up as anyone else in this world.
Not me..I'm perfect, lol Just kidding

Actually I have a friend who is very over weight and she never leaves the house. When I talk with her she tells me how concerned she is about a neighbor's health because he has gained some weight and doesn't get enough exercise

My SIL is the same. He is extremely obese and yet he makes fun of fat people with his kids

Some people are just blinded by themselves

Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Not me..I'm perfect, lol Just kidding

Actually I have a friend who is very over weight and she never leaves the house. When I talk with her she tells me how concerned she is about a neighbor's health because he has gained some weight and doesn't get enough exercise

My SIL is the same. He is extremely obese and yet he makes fun of fat people with his kids

Some people are just blinded by themselves
All hail younglisa7 for being perfect

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/bm/f6/j8/worship.gif (broken link)

ahhaha! But seriously though, I agree.

Last edited by ho hey!; 07-07-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics