Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times

Advertisements

When I've heard that term used its been in reference to women that have come here from other countries. So in that case, saying they have become Americanized means they have lost part of their own cultural attitudes and have become more like western women as far as attitudes and values. Some might see it in a negative way because they view being Americanized as becoming more self centered and materialistic, while not being content and happy with less. I think it is still more the make up of the persons character than where they happen to originate from. Though I do think we put way to much emphasis on over buying material stuff we don't really need, while people in poorer countries are generally happy and content with much less.

If you haven't changed your positive core values, I wouldn't worry about that term being tossed about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Next year I will be better, this year I'm alone. Birthdays alone are no fun.
You weren't completely alone Todd you have us here at the forum. Happy Birthday.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Next year I will be better, this year I'm alone. Birthdays alone are no fun.
Quote:
When I've heard that term used its been in reference to women that have come here from other countries. So in that case, saying they have become Americanized means they have lost part of their own cultural attitudes and have become more like western women as far as attitudes and values. Some might see it in a negative way because they view being Americanized as becoming more self centered and materialistic, while not being content and happy with less. I think it is still more the make up of the persons character than where they happen to originate from. Though I do think we put way to much emphasis on over buying material stuff we don't really need, while people in poorer countries are generally happy and content with much less.

If you haven't changed your positive core values, I wouldn't worry about that term being tossed about.
Thanks for your input. I am getting little annoy when people keeps saying "Americanized women are blah blah blah". It's not always true!

But I am sorry to hear about your lonely birthday. You are never alone! We are here! Happy Birthday to you!

http://www.hideawayinn.com/upload/happy-birthday-with-balloons%281%29.gif (broken link)

Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I could totally grumble about the education system in my state we are ranked behind Mississippi and Texas, but if u have a kid who needs any kind of special accommodations, school is the least likely place that child will gain the skills necessary for success. My kid want to enroll in a program that is part trade school along w/ regular ed high school. I was called in for a meeting in the presence of my kid where a woman actually said "u r inferior" This woman is the special needs liaison. When I protested and said we are offended she said she was reading a comment from another educator. I am floored by the lack of humanity from someone who is suppose to represent the interest of kids at a place where they are shaping the minds of the future.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I am sorry to hear about that sun queen! sometimes i wonder if they've gone callous or they are really about to give up too.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
People who want all the goodies of living in America, but then run it down or criticize others for embracing it.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
People who want all the goodies of living in America, but then run it down or criticize others for embracing it.
Yep! I hate it when folks take advantage of all our country has to offer but turn around and talk smack about it. Also, if your home country was all that great then why did you relocate to the USA?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
^
We are here because it's our home. Too many are here for a quick dollar.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM

987 posts, read 1,745,449 times
Its just when somebody is so miserable and you have to be the lucky one that gets to hear it all the time, and you tell them more than once, if they are that miserable, do something about it....and they never do......drives me nuts....I sometimes wish my hearing would quit, just for those moments...

Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I am so freaking livid... I don't know what to do. I almost gave some female the beat down for being in my home without my permission... A stranger sneaking in the back door (so I thought). I was prepared to sacrifice my life to protect my kids and home) Turns out she was invited to sneak in and was foolish enough to accept the invitation. I presume for the purpose of "alley cattin" around with my "good"-upstanding, morally superior son who thinks with his brains and nothing else. I am being totally sarcastic here. If I had not spit him out of my loins I might do him bodily harm for being so unwise. I scared, the LL out of both of them and maybe myself too cause if she had made one wrong move I might not be calm enough to discuss this with all yall... Now thank goodness I didn't hurt this child, but I warned her if she can't come through the front door and show me and my house some respect she had better not come back. And as for my son well I had some choice words for him that I am sure he doesn't think were so loving. It was tuff love. He may even move out... Needless to say I am good and got danged& mad-dog peeved with my kid and wondering who the blankety blank has been sleeping in my freaking bed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics