Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times

Advertisements

Monthly calls from my alma mater badgering me for donations. As if 1/3 of my monthly income for the next 10 years wasn't enough for my overpriced/undervalued in-state degree (engineering degree so it's still valuable, but not nearly as valuable as it would have been 10 years ago), they have the nerve to ask me for more.

First they ask for 250-500 bucks. When I refuse they tell me a story from their script about how they need money for cutting edge research and ask for a more modest gift of 150. When I refuse they tell me that they need money to fund scholarships and ask for 100. When I refuse again they tell me a story about how the state has cut funding and that the school will go under without donations and financial support (because skyrocketing tuition isn't enough to fund building a new liberal arts building . . .). When I refuse again they ask for 25-50 bucks and by now I'm very annoyed and frustrated. This happens every month and I ask to be removed from the contact list every time they call.

The last person who called started their spiel and I stopped them less than 2 sentences into the script. I told them that I appreciate that they have a job to do but that I will not be donating in the foreseeable future and that their calling policies are bordering on harassment. I felt kinda bad after that one . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Having to coexist with people u find disagreeable and basically moronic.
LOL...I feel that quite often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
People who "talk the talk but never walk the walk" If you say you are going to do something .....DO IT!
I know...really....put your money where your month is. I can't stand to hear people BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
People who wants to hide the truth and uses their power to get rid of the truth.

It seems like only certain opinions are valid. Apparently mine wasn't.
Aww!! We'll listen to you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
This happens every month and I ask to be removed from the contact list every time they call.

The last person who called started their spiel and I stopped them less than 2 sentences into the script. I told them that I appreciate that they have a job to do but that I will not be donating in the foreseeable future and that their calling policies are bordering on harassment. I felt kinda bad after that one . . .
I would feel a twinge of guilt also but c'mon. If you wanted to donate you would just do it. I think most donations are done out of guilt. Don't feel bad....next time I would just hang up from the start.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM

247 posts, read 266,907 times
I hate seeing teens, youths and everybody else constantly on their phones all day everyday. I'm only 20 years old, and it gets pretty annoying. I enjoy watching movies a lot, but it's extremely annoying when the people I'm watching it with are on their phones Tweeting or Facebooking. Then they say "Oh what happened, I wasn't paying attention".

Facebook and Twitter is slowly killing everybody.

Surprised that someone my age would say this? lol

Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1Azn View Post
I hate seeing teens, youths and everybody else constantly on their phones all day everyday. I'm only 20 years old, and it gets pretty annoying. I enjoy watching movies a lot, but it's extremely annoying when the people I'm watching it with are on their phones Tweeting or Facebooking. Then they say "Oh what happened, I wasn't paying attention".

No I'm not surprised you would say that. I'm 24 and totally 100% agree. People who live with their eyes attached to their phones can be annoying and if they are hanging out with someone it's very rude. I once dated someone (before smart phones got huge) who would CONSTANTLY be texting even while we were sharing intimate conversations or making out or whatnot. That didn't last long.

Texting/facebook/twitter while driving annoy me too. Some studies have suggested that fiddling with your phone while driving increases your reaction time to 4x that of a drunk driver.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM

247 posts, read 266,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
No I'm not surprised you would say that. I'm 24 and totally 100% agree. People who live with their eyes attached to their phones can be annoying and if they are hanging out with someone it's very rude. I once dated someone (before smart phones got huge) who would CONSTANTLY be texting even while we were sharing intimate conversations or making out or whatnot. That didn't last long.

Texting/facebook/twitter while driving annoy me too. Some studies have suggested that fiddling with your phone while driving increases your reaction time to 4x that of a drunk driver.
Wow, that's interesting. I read an article on Scribbal a week ago about a mother who completely ignored her baby to update her Facebook status. The baby ended up finding her way outside the apartment to the parking lot and was later run over by bus that was transporting elderly people. She was only like 2 years old.

Honestly can't find any reason how Facebook is more important than your own child.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,407,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Aww!! We'll listen to you here.
ahaha thanks. I took my long walk with my sister so I don't need to grumble about it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1Azn View Post

Yeah, all day everyday is really no life (no offense). Now that it's summer I rarely text or talk on the phone.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:14 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,346,846 times
All I am saying is "HOW MUCH CAN ONE CHICK TAKE?" Obviously we take a licking and keep on ticking.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,346,846 times
I have a great peeve today and this could only happen in America and likely only in one or two cities. I pulled up in a convenience store entry way where there is a city bus stop. I was going to do a sorta modified U turn. I had to wait because there was oncoming traffic... in just a matter of seconds 4 men approached my car and another looking at me pointing to himself& looking as if he were mouthing the words "u want me..." I am pretty darn sure they were illegals, but no matter who they were that behavior should be criminal. How incredibly rude to do that to someone. If they were just looking for work I certainly wouldn't hire them. U don't scare the LL out of a perspective employer. Now I don't know what they wanted it could have been to rob, molest, or jack my car. No citizen should feel unsafe due to illegal immigration. My windows are tented and u can't really see who's in the car from a certain angle. My son stepped out of the car and they backed away... It was a good thing he was there or I may have ran someone over or got in an accident trying to get away from from people who should not be loitering. I thought the efforts of the legislature and law enforcement had discouraged this kind of behavior. Plus, I kinda resented the fact they were willing to take advantage of a single woman, but give a man respect... Yeah I am peeved 2 ways...

Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM

24,541 posts, read 26,094,177 times
Was it today and what time was it?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have a great peeve today and this could only happen in America and likely only in one or two cities. I pulled up in a convenience store entry way where there is a city bus stop. I was going to do a sorta modified U turn. I had to wait because there was oncoming traffic... in just a matter of seconds 4 men approached my car and another looking at me pointing to himself& looking as if he were mouthing the words "u want me..." I am pretty darn sure they were illegals, but no matter who they were that behavior should be criminal. How incredibly rude to do that to someone. If they were just looking for work I certainly wouldn't hire them. U don't scare the LL out of a perspective employer. Now I don't know what they wanted it could have been to rob, molest, or jack my car. No citizen should feel unsafe due to illegal immigration. My windows are tented and u can't really see who's in the car from a certain angle. My son stepped out of the car and they backed away... It was a good thing he was there or I may have ran someone over or got in an accident trying to get away from from people who should not be loitering. I thought the efforts of the legislature and law enforcement had discouraged this kind of behavior. Plus, I kinda resented the fact they were willing to take advantage of a single woman, but give a man respect... Yeah I am peeved 2 ways...
Sorry you got scared.

I feel the same way when the window washers in the city come running up to my car or the street beggers...who may or may not be real. Anyone running up to my car asking me for anything feels like a personal threat to my space and maybe my safety...BTW, mine have never been Hispanic. They are either white or black. At least yours might have been looking for work and not begging for a handout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics