Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times

Advertisements

I was raised verrrrrry Catholic. I had begun raising my boys Catholic also, but decided against supporting child molesters. They asked questions and learned different things about different religions growing up, but we really all just believe in God, not organized religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, in some ways you're correct. I don't think any thirteen year old has the maturity to say "I think I'm gonna become a Lutheran". That's just not a feasible thought- how many thirteen year olds who are Catholic for example, know more than a few differences between the Catholic and Lutheran church? They DO however, have the maturity doubt the existence of a god. I know plenty who have.
And that's fine. All children go through some phase of questioning beliefs, some legitimate and some pubescent nihilism. So what? There will be plenty of time to explore that question in adulthood. But if I believe, I'm not really going to indulge his lack of belief by leaving him at home. We go to church as a family. When he lives elsewhere, he can do whatever he wants.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,747 times
I am Christian and yes our kids are being raised to believe in what we believe in. I firmly believe my faith and if I don't raise my kids to believe the same thing as me then what would I believe it for in the first place. (if that makes sense)

There is no "choice" for my kids. We believe there is only one way to heaven so that is what they will be raised to believe.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
We go to church as a family. When he lives elsewhere, he can do whatever he wants.
Your logistical argument is valid. It would be physically difficult to have various family members practicing different faiths.

Fortunately, agnostics and atheists don't have that logistical problem.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
How are you doing it? Are you letting them make the choice? Or having them go to where you worship and let them choose at a certain age. We try to exspose our kids to different beliefs.....and want to let them choose one day. What do you do?
You're not raising them to be pagans?

I thought, considering your user name and all...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I am not a fan of organized religion either, but was raised and schooled in the Catholic faith. My kids were all given an introduction to Catholicism when they were young (baptism and first communion), and my oldest chose to go to a Catholic high school.

My middle son joined the Lutheran church in our town when he was 12, because they had a very active youth group that he wanted to take part in. The Pastor called me for permission, which I gave, but told him I had no interest in joining along with him.

My youngest had the least exposure to religion. I tell my mother I gave her one Catholic, one Lutheran, and one pagan grandchild. She has made peace with it.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
I was raised Methodist from birth to about 10 or 11 years old.
We went to church on occasion, I went to vacation bible school during the summer, etc.
However, I didn't really believe once I could question stuff.
Growing up in the bible belt also really deterred me from wanting anything to do with church. Controlling fundamentalist anywhere are a turn off.

Just hearing comments like weather is controlled by god so therefore insurance companies shouldn't pay out for weather damage, "god gave that man a heart attack" no his diet and lifestyle did. Just common sense stuff that can EASILY be proved by science.

I would guess I am agnostic now. Prove it to me, with PROOF that there is a god and I will believe it.
There is some stuff I believe and some stuff I don't.
I know a few people who are religious and talk about gods plan for them. I don't like that.
I have MY plan and no one or anything is going to come between me and my goals. This is MY life and I am in control of it and I control my fate and my future.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:39 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
I thought it was important to give my children the necessary background information about religion so they would get the jokes about it. Beyond that, not so much.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I tell my mother I gave her one Catholic, one Lutheran, and one pagan grandchild. She has made peace with it.
That's sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I thought it was important to give my children the necessary background information about religion so they would get the jokes about it. Beyond that, not so much.
LMAO!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, in some ways you're correct. I don't think any thirteen year old has the maturity to say "I think I'm gonna become a Lutheran". That's just not a feasible thought- how many thirteen year olds who are Catholic for example, know more than a few differences between the Catholic and Lutheran church? They DO however, have the maturity doubt the existence of a god. I know plenty who have.
I'm confused at what you are saying.

And, there are actually only a few differences b/w Catholics & Lutherans. Of all the Christian faiths, those two are very similar.

If a child doubts the existence of God, it means they also are wanting to know about God due to all the reasons they are doubting it. A child doesn't doubt God just for the sake of it. They have experiences or are told to doubt God. Parents have every right to take the route they wish with those feelings.

After awhile, all this "let the child do what the child wants b/c I was so damaged as a child b/c I could never do what I wanted to & they are going to rebel b/c I did & we accept everything and allow our children to pick & choose what they want b/c that is more healthy then setting discipline or boundaries or showing consistency b/c that was so horrible for me & as an adult I still blame my parents for everything" mentality is mindboggling.

I know plenty of children who never had any examples from their parents growing up & it was all do what you want b/c you will be so much better off crap...I'm married to one. And he struggles now in his 30s as he sees that never having parents who required much out of him led him down a tough path.

No one religion is superior than another.

But letting your child (and we are talking children here, not grown adults) do whatever tickles them for the week...it doesn't have positive outcomes for them later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting