Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the flaw in that is that, by driving around town and giving your children a Whitman's sampler of faiths to try on and discard like so many clothes at The Gap, you allow your own to wither on the vine.
Only if your faith is so weak it cannot withstand an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think parents owe their children a basic religious or moral framework, not some lucy-goosey "whatever you think is the most fun" philosophy. I was sent to Sunday school every Sunday, when I would have much preferred to be doing something else. But in our family, we went to church sporadically and the whole family had the same belief system. This is important for children, I think, and I'm grateful for the religious upbringing I had even though I rarely set foot in church any more.
Me too. But that has nothing to do with religion at all. You would be hard pressed to find someone who has as strong a moral compass of my 20 year old atheist son. Even I have to shake my head sometimes. He only went to church once when he was 15, because a girl invited him, and sat there mentally breaking down what the youth pastor was saying and concluding that the lesson plan was very very wrong. Not because he has a different religious views, but he has a better sense of decency, right, and wrong that the youth pastor did. The things he was trying to get them to do and to accept were, in my sons opinion, horrible. And by extention, so was religion.

Last edited by Ceece; 09-15-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your logistical argument is valid. It would be physically difficult to have various family members practicing different faiths.

Fortunately, agnostics and atheists don't have that logistical problem.
Not necessarily.
When my eldest were still living home we had, at one count, three religions (one of which was divided into two denominations) represented, plus one atheist. It wasn't physically or logistically difficult, particularly since those who attended regularly scheduled services either drove or had friends who did.
What it did require was a tremendous amount of respect for one another's beliefs, and no de-evolution into games of "my invisible friends are better than yours". Which, especially for those who adhere to the Great Commission, is hard indeed.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You're not raising them to be pagans?

I thought, considering your user name and all...

Some traditions don't initiate children. I don't know if that's an issue for the OP, but I figured it was something most people in the thread would be unlikely to know. So FWIW...

Old 09-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I thought it was important to give my children the necessary background information about religion so they would get the jokes about it. Beyond that, not so much.
LOL! "Cultural references" was exactly why I agreed to Catholic religious ed. It makes Art History classes much easier...

Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

If a child doubts the existence of God, it means they also are wanting to know about God due to all the reasons they are doubting it. A child doesn't doubt God just for the sake of it. They have experiences or are told to doubt God.
Not necessarily.

My daughter's rationale, and I quote, was "Well, Sister ___ says if I sin it's against God, but nobody gets upset about it except you. And I know you're not God."

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think parents owe their children a basic religious or moral framework, not some lucy-goosey "whatever you think is the most fun" philosophy. I was sent to Sunday school every Sunday, when I would have much preferred to be doing something else. But in our family, we went to church sporadically and the whole family had the same belief system. This is important for children, I think, and I'm grateful for the religious upbringing I had even though I rarely set foot in church any more.
You do realize that religion does NOT = moral right? People kill, rape, maim, discriminate against others, wage wars, etc. all in the name of religion.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not trying to recruit you to religion, but I think it's important for you to understand that Christianity has a little thing called Free Will.
Well for pete's sake, don't tell John Calvin!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Most normal Christians are not going to think you are banished to hell b/c you are a nonbeliever or a horrible person.
That is against the faith, actually.
According to you. There are a whole bunch of Church of Christ, Southern Baptist, Pentecostal, and assorted other-flavored Christians who would argue that point.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't understand why you need a building and a pastor to lead a moral life. Anybody can read the Bible and make their own interpretations of it.
I don't know why you need a particular book to lead a moral life, either, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting