Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
go on.....
I just don't see living my life based on a fictional book of stories. Because the bible, especially the old testament is just a collection of stories handed down that taught lessons. Sometimes when me and my friends go to the book store I pick up books in the fiction section and say "From now on this is my religion".

I do really enjoy learning about religions form a historical and from an artistic stand point. Look at all the beautiful artwork christianity inspired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
OP, my husband believes in god (loosely) as does my son. My oldest daughter is agnostic at this point and my youngest could care less either way. They can choose what they want. For the record, I'm atheist.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That can be done any time of the year.

Do you call it a different name b/c there is religious meaning to the actual names.

No we dont call it anything different.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
No we dont call it anything different.

I wonder if she practices christmas without all the pagan additions.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I wonder if she practices christmas without all the pagan additions.

We have a tree and give gifts. We also celebrate hannakuh. Both me and my fiancee were not raised to believe in christ or anything so we believe that holidays are just a special occasion like birthdays.

It is just a day to celebrate and appreciate family and the time you have left to spend with them. In OUR house Christmas is about teaching the children to be gracious and loving. We've never celebrated it as a religious holiday in my family. All holidays celebrated by religious people are known as family holidays in our household.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Children are not capable of nor interested in doing a compare/contrast exercise with world religions. By teaching your child that religions are items on a menu, you are causing him to lose out on whatever positives a religious upbringing may offer. A child needs to be grounded in a firm sense of identity. Be an atheist, be a Catholic, be a Jew -- whatever. Be something. But don't go parading him around to various houses of worship and think you are giving your child any kind of basis from which to "choose" religion. At best, it's an educational adventure. At worst, it's confusing as hell and a huge turn off.

Religious people consider their belief system to be something very important and something they take very seriously. They would no more give their child a "choice" in the matter any more than they would give their child a "choice" whether to get vaccinated or not, whether to eat vegetables vs. eat candy, whether to brush his teeth or skip brushing his teeth. I mean, come on, do you seriously think that choosing religion is on the same level as choosing which color shirt to wear or which sport to play? Because that's what it sounds like.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Santa and Bunnies.
Sometimes I can be a bit dyslexic and I read that as "Satan and Bunnies"..

Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Children are not capable of nor interested in doing a compare/contrast exercise with world religions. By teaching your child that religions are items on a menu, you are causing him to lose out on whatever positives a religious upbringing may offer. A child needs to be grounded in a firm sense of identity. Be an atheist, be a Catholic, be a Jew -- whatever. Be something. But don't go parading him around to various houses of worship and think you are giving your child any kind of basis from which to "choose" religion. At best, it's an educational adventure. At worst, it's confusing as hell and a huge turn off.

Religious people consider their belief system to be something very important and something they take very seriously. They would no more give their child a "choice" in the matter any more than they would give their child a "choice" whether to get vaccinated or not, whether to eat vegetables vs. eat candy, whether to brush his teeth or skip brushing his teeth. I mean, come on, do you seriously think that choosing religion is on the same level as choosing which color shirt to wear or which sport to play? Because that's what it sounds like.

I am not going deep into this as not to offend anyone. Religion is supposed to be a choice,,,,because if not you are not following it for yourself and don't trully comprehend it.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, in some ways you're correct. I don't think any thirteen year old has the maturity to say "I think I'm gonna become a Lutheran". That's just not a feasible thought- how many thirteen year olds who are Catholic for example, know more than a few differences between the Catholic and Lutheran church? They DO however, have the maturity doubt the existence of a god. I know plenty who have.
This is because Catholic churches these days generally have very low standards for religious education, and many Catholics are Catholics in name only.

Our children will be raised Catholic. We are Catholic, and my husband's family is Catholic. Shoot, two of his sisters were discerning being nuns at one point. They can choose when they move out of the house, but until that point it is our responsibility as their parents to raise them in our faith. Technically the responsibility is mainly on the father. One reason for this is that if the father has no faith, the children normally won't. Due to very bad religious education, though, our children probably will not get that education from the church. We will do as many other families are now doing due to the horrible standards and educate them on it at home so that they actually know the faith.

Oh yeah, I was not raised Catholic. My family is extremely Protestant. In fact, many of my mom's ancestors came to this country due to religious persecution, and it has been ingrained from one generation to the next that Catholics are not Christians. The usual stuff. My family is not happy about my choice, but they are dealing with it.

Last edited by psr13; 09-14-2010 at 11:45 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
My husbands family is VERY Catholic, but he never spoke of it.

I had no religious upbringing but was thrust into the world of Christianity when I was 14 when I got sent to a small Baptist HS. Looking back I can't believe how well I handled the transition of living in an agnostic household and having a conservative Christian social group. I learned I could fit in anywhere.

My kids had no religious upbringing either, with mixed results. Like I had done, my daughter got involved in a Christian youth group when she started high school (her idea, not mine), but it did not end well and left her angry and bitter. My son only went to church once, with a girl, but both have come to the conclusion that religion is not in their genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting