Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
She better consider selling that house and looking for a smaller place. I think the general public are finding multiples passe and looking into their lives as if it will give them a massive headache. I know I do get a headache when I envision myself in her shoes with all those kids. Heck at this point I will be happy when I get my tubes tied!
Oh, heck, I have multiples and I'm even tired of hearing about them.
Back when my eldest were born the twin rate was something like 1:105 for white women (slightly more frequent for black women and less so for Asians). Thirteen years ago it was something like 1:90. Now the statistic I heard most recently is 1:25. The rates for triplets and higher order multiples has exploded even more. They're just not the big deal they used to be.
A couple of times a year women contact the local moms of multiples group and ask about all the freebies they've heard about for twins. It's like "uh, sorry honey, you're about 20 years too late."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't even imagine having twins! Two babies at once! Frightening, frightening thought!
Oh, no, my friend. Teh Big Scary comes when twin girls hit puberty simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post

The days of daydreaming of twins are looooooooonnng gone.
Y'know, I never did that. And yet...here I am.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbochick View Post
things i have learned from the interwebz this week!

1) i want kate gosselin to go away.
2) i want michelle bachmann to go away.
3) i want sarah palin (and all the palins including the baby-daddy) to go away.
4) parents and circumcisions = powder keg. Tip them over the precipice (prepuce), and they lose their heads!
5) they teach "the gay" at school. You can catch "the gay". It's okay to smack "the gay" if it flirts with you.
6) kids swimming is ####### expensive. Who knew? Surely just a pool & swimsuit? Oh noes......
7) mrsx needs a hot god. Stat. :d

lol!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Here's my little preachy post on wildlife. Where I grew up, we were surrounded by really dangerous critters. They were very seldom killed, even if they had a penchant snacking on for homo sapiens, which was incredibly rare. We had a family friend who worked in animal conservation who was killed by a lion, that's the only person I know of personally who was chomped. When I was a kid, we had a Boomslang living in a hedge next to our favorite climbing tree. These things are DEADLY, and at the time there was no anti-venom. We had strict intructions, leave the snake alone. It lived there for about 7 years, then one day it decided it wanted to be an indoor snake, and got Anne Boleyned. Grouchy lions, elephants, etc, got relocated. We had leopards in our neighborhood, and they used to scare the bejeezuz out of me, but the common sense rules from mom were...be careful out there. I don't get why everything has to be hunted down and killed.

ETA - Non-native animals are a different story IMO.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 09-08-2011 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: ETA

Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Morning all!

Cranky pants - I can relate as DH as all sorts of things that bing in the night. (Get your minds out of the gutter everyone!).

Fin - I'm sure she'll be fine. I don't think anyone could be as bad as I was when dropped off at preschool. The stories my mom can tell. I am actually still friends with two people I went to preschool with!

num - I was wondering what the situation with the dolphin was after seeing that commercial so many times. Thanks for sharing that.
Young Miss Aconite wanted to do her volunteer hours at the Aquarium but she's still too young (and it's a PIA to get to). She's got a couple of other ideas she wants to check out. Definitely likes the animals better than the people.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

There's a singer by the name of Lucille Bogan sings a ditty called "Shave 'Em Dry", and another called "B.D" (Bull Dyke), the lyrics caught me by surprise. Some of the old blues standards would not be on the radio, that's for sure. Songs by well known singers too, Bessie Smith, Jelly Roll Morton, Bull Moose Jackson. Songs like "I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None Of My Jellyroll", "Long Big Slidin' Thing", "Big 10 Inch", "I'm Wild About That Thing, "What's That Smells Like Fish", "Do Your Dirty", "Copulation Blues", "Do Your Duty", "Poontang", Banana In Your Fruit Basket".

I have heard some of these songs over the years, but haven't given the lyrics much thought. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude, and I don't care at all, but just found it ironic.
One of our local stations has played Big Ten Inch. It's not a commercial station though.

One of dh's and my early dates was to go see Diamond Teeth Mary. She was amazing. YouTube doesn't do her justice.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

Does anyone remember Afternoon Delight? I mean seriously, I had no idea what it was about until many years later (totally craptastic song, however.)
LOL! Bill and Taffy Danoff used to swear it was about some menu item at a diner in D.C.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Grouchy lions, elephants, etc, got relocated. We had leopards in our neighborhood, and they used to scare the bejeezuz out of me,
Zimbo, you have no idea how interesting (and cool) this is to me. Gosh, I love our little group of different lives, different values, different upbringings.

We had this touristy place the next town over called "The Alligator Farm" that was across the street from Knott's Berry Farm. Bunch of ol' gators that chomped on each other out of boredom. You win.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Gosh, I love our little group of different lives, different values, different upbringings.
Me too Dew!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Slow down! Jeez, can't keep up here. I am totally feeling my age.

I was positive somebody would have embedded a YouTube version of Convoy in honor of Hopes by now. Instead, we've moved on to Afternoon Delight ( I always knew what that meant )

Running around all day today and yesterday. Vacuum is DOA according to DH, so I need to find a new one. I am thinking Dyson (thanks Dew), but I need something very lightweight. If it hurts my back, it stays in the closet.

I hope all the ickies resolve quickly for those involved. We have one here. DS youngest had surgery his sophomore year of HS. Now, during his sophomore year of college, his incision still hasn't healed, and we are exploring more surgery. Not major, but a PIA nonetheless.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Me too Dew!
But I can't love you 'cause yo feets too big! Do want ya 'cause yo feets too big! Can't stand it 'cause yo feets too big!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting