Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times

Advertisements

I'm trying very hard to understand what the big controversy is here, unfortunately to no avail. If you and your coworkers want to be SAHDs, I think you should discuss the issue with your wives. When I stopped working as a professional, my spouse and I didn't consult society as a whole. We took a close look at our finances, made the necessary changes to our lifestyle, and forged ahead. Feel free to do the same.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
If someone must stay at home, I would recommend it be the person that brings in the lower income. However, having the desire and necessary skills are also important.

My husband has far better housekeeping skills than I do. He is prompt for appointments. He can dish out tough love and set the bar high when necessary. He is a great builder of confidence. He definitely would have been the better parent to stay at home.

If the woman wants to work and can bring in a decent income, and the man can fill the role - why not?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I think all young adults, men and women need to plan to be able to support themselves financially. When they get married and decide to have kids, they can decide if one parent will quit their job, and which one it will be. I don't think men OR women should enter adulthood planning to be a stay at home parent. As a society, do I think men should "gravitate" toward staying home? No. I think each family should make that decision on their own.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
YOu misunderstand the topic. I'm not just talking about ME, I'm talking about the possiblity of 90% if not more of ALL Men coming home like the 1950's when the majority of women stayed at the house.

I wanna venture the possibilities of that. I know my one family can't make a difference but if milliions of families do it, then maybe.

what do you think? can it work?
No, I don't think it can work. It is harder to live on one income now than it was in the 50's. That's part of the reason so many women work outside the home now. I don't think I understand your point. Are you just looking for an excuse to quit your job?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM

85 posts, read 110,812 times
Well, one forseeable problem - women have the babies. So if you have this mass revolution - women will still be taking time off for maternity leave. As long as they can afford it, good - but the reason many women work now is that many families can't operate on one income. I'd guess if SAHDs became the norm, there'd be a lot less kids running around.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Shifts in the social pardigm happen all the time in America, look no further than the Women's Lib movement. was that not a social shift in the paradigm. ?
Yep. But it was not much of a revolution (quick), it was evolution (slow). There are lots of people who are still not on board with it.

Quote:
The reason would be to bring Men home, period. Women seem not to want the gig anymore. and it's a much needed occupation. Daycares are ripping famiies off with no regulations, families can save more money, all kinds of good things.
"Do it for the children"? I've heard that before. If women didn't want the gig, we wouldn't have stay-at-home moms, yet we do. These are decisions made at the family level.

Quote:
[A]s a majority, women outnumber men as SAHM's vs. SAHD's and wanna see that change since it's obviously something that women(as a whole) are tired of. I don't know why but it is what it is.
Lots of reasons, reasons that aren't going to go away by simply switching roles. A big one is the inability to survive on one income--real or perceived. Not wanting to stay home, true, that's one, but restlessness and ambition outside the home can happen to men too. There's still going to be a contingent who are dissatisfied with staying home.

Quote:
and in that "making money" process it serves to sustain the society economically. if Men didn't work this country would collapse economically.
Their family life would crumble first. Nobody is going to lose the house to make a point to society. Everybody's interests are to his or her own survival first.

Quote:
takes more than one family, it'sneeds to happen like overnight. maybe a law be passed. that's the only way it would work instantly. it's not gonna work peace meal.
You want to pass a law that would fire all fathers and require them to stay home to look after their children? Or would that be all married men to do the cooking and cleaning? Single men could work, right? Let me know how that goes.

Quote:
sure but not the majority of them. and being in a weak economy is th e perfect time to make th e switch since so many families are throttling back their spending and storing up their savings any way they can.

with one of the parents comes back home imagine the money they could save from the rip-off daycares??
Most families realize the futility of working only to pay the daycare. The reality is that many women's salaries pay for the daycare and then some. Mine did. We no longer need daycare, but I still work because it puts us in a nicer house in a good neighborhood with great schools and a comfortable way of life. We could survive on one salary but we'd have to move and we don't want to. We like where we are, and we made the decision together. Incidentally, we moved across the country because of my husband's job. It's the reason we're here in the first place.

Quote:
I am the change, and this thread is the change I'm making.

join me thou women of the land!!! Let's do this. !!!
Convince my husband to quit his job, quit school, do all the housework, shopping, laundry and cooking--and we have to move somewhere else and live off my salary instead of his.

I go where he goes, so you better start with him.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm trying very hard to understand what the big controversy is here, unfortunately to no avail. If you and your coworkers want to be SAHDs, I think you should discuss the issue with your wives. When I stopped working as a professional, my spouse and I didn't consult society as a whole. We took a close look at our finances, made the necessary changes to our lifestyle, and forged ahead. Feel free to do the same.
this.

And, I've known a couple SAHDs. One of them dropped his kid off at preschool every day and never said a word to any of us moms. I actually don't know if he was not employed of if he worked from home, or set his own hours, or what. The second one blended right in with the moms. He chatted, he helped with class parties, met us at the park for play dates, etc. As with women, not all men would be good SAHD's. I don't think there is any way you'd find 90% of the male population that wants to stay home.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
that's a self- defeating attitude.

Americans didn't say that when we thought about building the first railroad, or dam, or space shuttle. We dove in head first and went for it. Back then, we didn't make doubts or talk ourselves out of creating something great.

why is making the nation SAHD's such a hard concept? We'll definitely protect the house better..(Underarmor-We must protect this house!...lol). that's just one thing we can do. most of us can cook, I love to clean, actually I'm a clean freak..the list goes on...

and nobody has yet to respond on what jobs,if any, that the majority of our nations' women could work, that would sustain our economy so it could work.

I'm open to being a SAHD and every guy I asked since yesterday (15) agrees..and to be honest if I polled America as a nation, it would be above 85% for it, I bet.

we just need to find out if women as a majority would be willing to switch roles. that's pretty much it. if the majority of the nations' women agreed today, the nation could do it tomorrow.
What you are proposing in no way compares to building the space shuttle. There is no comparison.

re below: What kind of answers could you possibly get besides opinions??

Quote:
maybe because I'm not getting any answers, just opinions.

an answer would be how it could work. I have to yet to see that post. and I'm really wanting to hear from the guys who would ponder the possibility anyway. I pretty much know wht you ladies think. check the OP, I wanna talk to the guys mostly. and see how they feel.

people should do what's best for their families. sounds a like new topic that you should go make. this is not that topic.

Semantics
Quote:
Shifts in the social pardigm happen all the time in America, look no further than the Women's Lib movement. was that not a social shift in the paradigm. ?

The reason would be to bring Men home, period. Women seem not to want the gig anymore. and it's a much needed occupation. Daycares are ripping famiies off with no regulations, families can save more money, all kinds of good things.

and we had no real reason to go to the Moon but we did it anyway.

I never said they were. but as a majority, women outnumber men as SAHM's vs. SAHD's and wanna see that change since it's obviously something that women(as a whole) are tired of. I don't know why but it is what it is.

and in that "making money" process it serves to sustain the society economically. if Men didn't work this country would collapse economically.

takes more than one family, it'sneeds to happen like overnight. maybe a law be passed. that's the only way it would work instantly. it's not gonna work peace meal.

sure but not the majority of them. and being in a weak economy is th e perfect time to make th e switch since so many families are throttling back their spending and storing up their savings any way they can.

with one of the parents comes back home imagine the money they could save from the rip-off daycares??

I am the change, and this thread is the change I'm making.

join me thou women of the land!!! Let's do this. !!!
What makes you think daycares aren't regulated? They are, FYI.

If you ask me (and you did ) there already is a bit of momentum toward more men staying home. You don't need to make it some big revolution. Just do it yourself, and others may follow. That's how change happens.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snadai View Post
Well, one forseeable problem - women have the babies. So if you have this mass revolution - women will still be taking time off for maternity leave. As long as they can afford it, good - but the reason many women work now is that many families can't operate on one income. I'd guess if SAHDs became the norm, there'd be a lot less kids running around.
Many companies offer paternity leave, so I'm not sure that's as much of an arguement as it used to be.

With regard to not being able to operate on one income, then have the kids as close together as possible and get back to work when the youngest hits kindergarten. But I really think that the new reality is - if you can't afford to live on one income, you probably shouldn't be having kids.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
YOu misunderstand the topic. I'm not just talking about ME, I'm talking about the possiblity of 90% if not more of ALL Men coming home like the 1950's when the majority of women stayed at the house.

I wanna venture the possibilities of that. I know my one family can't make a difference but if milliions of families do it, then maybe.

what do you think? can it work?
Why would that be a good thing? It was not good for 90% of women to be SAHMs. SAHDs are no different. Being a stay at home parent is simply not for everyone. (or even for 90%)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting