Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
Americans didn't say that when we thought about building the first railroad, or dam, or space shuttle. We dove in head first and went for it. Back then, we didn't make doubts or talk ourselves out of creating something great.
You have yet to establish the reason for doing such a thing. The purpose of a railroad is for transportation and shipping. The purpose of a dam is for agriculture, power generation, changing the landscape, etc. You're talking about a shift in societal paradigm, not invention. More dads already do stay at home than they used to--we are in the middle of social evolution (slow change). You seem to want social REVolution (quick change), but you have not presented the reason for society to do this. "Why not" is not a good enough reason for revolution.

Quote:
why is making the nation SAHD's such a hard concept? We'll definitely protect the house better..(Underarmor-We must protect this house!...lol). that's just one thing we can do. most of us can cook, I love to clean, actually I'm a clean freak..the list goes on...
I'm sure that varies by household. Dads are not a monolithic entity, nor are moms.

Quote:
and nobody has yet to respond on what jobs,if any, that the majority of our nations' women could work, that would sustain our economy so it could work.
I very much doubt that the reason any man works is to sustain the economy. People work to make money for themselves and their families. If a coal miner wants to get another job or work at home, he has the option of doing so to the best of his ability. The coal miner does not argue, "But somebody has to mine the coal!" He does it because of what it pays, because he can do it. If I offer the coal miner more money to do something else, he will take that job unless he is really attached to mining coal for some reason. He will not decline because that doggone coal just has to be mined and without him, the economy will collapse and nobody will have any coal. If all the coal miners quit working, coal companies will offer more money until someone steps forward and takes the job.

Quote:
I'm open to being a SAHD and every guy I asked since yesterday (15) agrees..and to be honest if I polled America as a nation, it would be above 85% for it, I bet.
Great! Do what the rest of us do: sit down with your spouses and figure out how to make it happen.

Quote:
we just need to find out if women as a majority would be willing to switch roles. that's pretty much it. if the majority of the nations' women agreed today, the nation could do it tomorrow.
As other posters have pointed out, lots of women already work outside the home, and working women handle the lion's share of housework and childcare. This is a conversation you guys need to have with your families, if it's something you really want to do. Be the change you want to inspire in others. In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM

616 posts, read 854,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
1,000,0000% agreed. I have been reading through this thread and OP it seems you will never be satisfied with anyones answers.
maybe because I'm not getting any answers, just opinions.

an answer would be how it could work. I have to yet to see that post. and I'm really wanting to hear from the guys who would ponder the possibility anyway. I pretty much know wht you ladies think. check the OP, I wanna talk to the guys mostly. and see how they feel.

Quote:
It is the reality. People should do what is best for their families not because one person feels that society should conform to his/her beliefs of who should stay home and why.
people should do what's best for their families. sounds a like new topic that you should go make. this is not that topic.

Quote:
The fact is that in this day and age many couples need two salaries to provide for family, home and medical. If you are lucky by either gender to make a salary that can provide for all of it, feel free to discuss with your spouse about staying home need be or not need be.
Semantics

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
You can't even convince your own wife to let you stay home!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
that would be fine if you also offered a possibility. you came at it with a one-angled view and that's where your disagreement is coming from in my opinion.

kinda like "it's not gonna work, next topic"

not good for discussion, just good for ego.

I would like to see it happen one day to be honest.

and it was something great. it kept families tight and households in order.

and as I already stated, Women can do any job Men can do if they want to. those are not my words, those are the sentiments echoed by women nationwide. Oprah leads the charge on that .
Hmm, I don't see my response as "not gonna work, next topic" but more questioning your premise (i.e., activating some national movement based on the greatness of your idea). I'd like to hear your support for your position (not an anecdotal poll of guys you know, but actual factual support). I have no problem with any configuration of working or SAHP, mom or dad, but I do think that is an individual family decision more than a national phenomenon. So I'm disagreeing with the mechanism you suggest would be responsible for this change, as well as the desirability of your premise.

My alternative is exactly what I posited - that over time, I think it has historically and will in the future be the individual family's self-interested economic/social needs that dictate whether there is one income or two and who will earn it. Given the numbers in the first link I posted, some fields need to catch up in closing the wage gap if women in those fields were to be the sole income earner in your 90% SAHD scenario (i.e., if both husband and wife were in health care, the average female salary is 77% of the average male salary).

Ok, good to know re: your position on women's jobs - so what economic fall-out are you expecting? I'm still not clear on that.

Bah, don't Oprah me, please. I have no patience for reality TV and talk show hosts.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM

616 posts, read 854,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You have yet to establish the reason for doing such a thing. The purpose of a railroad is for transportation and shipping. The purpose of a dam is for agriculture, power generation, changing the landscape, etc. You're talking about a shift in societal paradigm, not invention. More dads already do stay at home than they used to--we are in the middle of social evolution (slow change). You seem to want social REVolution (quick change), but you have not presented the reason for society to do this. "Why not" is not a good enough reason for revolution.
Shifts in the social pardigm happen all the time in America, look no further than the Women's Lib movement. was that not a social shift in the paradigm. ?

The reason would be to bring Men home, period. Women seem not to want the gig anymore. and it's a much needed occupation. Daycares are ripping famiies off with no regulations, families can save more money, all kinds of good things.

and we had no real reason to go to the Moon but we did it anyway.

Quote:
I'm sure that varies by household. Dads are not a monolithic entity, nor are moms.
I never said they were. but as a majority, women outnumber men as SAHM's vs. SAHD's and wanna see that change since it's obviously something that women(as a whole) are tired of. I don't know why but it is what it is.

Quote:
I very much doubt that the reason any man works is to sustain the economy. People work to make money for themselves and their families. If a coal miner wants to get another job or work at home, he has the option of doing so to the best of his ability. The coal miner does not argue, "But somebody has to mine the coal!" He does it because of what it pays, because he can do it. If I offer the coal miner more money to do something else, he will take that job unless he is really attached to mining coal for some reason. He will not decline because that doggone coal just has to be mined and without him, the economy will collapse and nobody will have any coal. If all the coal miners quit working, coal companies will offer more money until someone steps forward and takes the job.
and in that "making money" process it serves to sustain the society economically. if Men didn't work this country would collapse economically.

Quote:
Great! Do what the rest of us do: sit down with your spouses and figure out how to make it happen.
takes more than one family, it'sneeds to happen like overnight. maybe a law be passed. that's the only way it would work instantly. it's not gonna work peace meal.

Quote:
As other posters have pointed out, lots of women already work outside the home, and working women handle the lion's share of housework and childcare. This is a conversation you guys need to have with your families, if it's something you really want to do. Be the change you want to inspire in others. In other words, put your money where your mouth is.
sure but not the majority of them. and being in a weak economy is th e perfect time to make th e switch since so many families are throttling back their spending and storing up their savings any way they can.

with one of the parents comes back home imagine the money they could save from the rip-off daycares??

I am the change, and this thread is the change I'm making.

join me thou women of the land!!! Let's do this. !!!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Not at all. He wants women to stay home. He wants Leave It To Beaver back. June Cleaver wearing her beautiful skirt, vacuuming (so he doesn't have to). Dressed in heels and an apron cooking dinner. And Mr Big Man bringing home the bacon and watching football with a beer in the evening.

If we women would just stop our belly aching and accept that role which he has cast for us, all would be well. Just like in the 50s.

But little does he know of history that there are REASONS that life does not look like Leave it to Beaver (to whatever degree it ever did).
Clearly, this is his agenda. Yawn.

No matter how coherent an answer he is provided; it is rejected. Besides, now he only wants to hear from SAHD's.

Yes, Dude, women could run the country if you want to start a national movement. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Ask your wife if you can stay home; have all your friends ask their wives' and have at it! The world won't come to an end.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 PM

He needs a national movement before he can find the courage to ask his wife.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He needs a national movement before he can find the courage to ask his wife.
It's a movement all right!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's a movement all right!
LMAO!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
War is reality too. and 90% of Americans wanna stay out of other country's business, but we move forward anyway.

It can work ladies. yall just have to support it.

I mean so much talk is made as to why women can't move up in business, being the top dog, Men stonewalling their growth in business, etc...well this thread is a chance for women to figure out how we can get that done.

I'll support you 100% from my leather sofa with a cold Bud Light....HERE...WE...GO!
Well I for one have never been stonewalled, or not been the top dog, when being the top dog was warranted.

But I have to ask, in all seriousness - if you and your fellow fellows are going to do this, are you going to actually do it - meaning put a little effort into it?

Because sitting on your leather sofa all day with a cold Bud Light in one hand and a warm whatever in the other just ain't gonna cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting