Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Many companies offer paternity leave, so I'm not sure that's as much of an arguement as it used to be.

With regard to not being able to operate on one income, then have the kids as close together as possible and get back to work when the youngest hits kindergarten. But I really think that the new reality is - if you can't afford to live on one income, you probably shouldn't be having kids.
really? Why is that?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
that's a self- defeating attitude.

Americans didn't say that when we thought about building the first railroad, or dam, or space shuttle. We dove in head first and went for it. Back then, we didn't make doubts or talk ourselves out of creating something great.

why is making the nation SAHD's such a hard concept?
It's a silly concept, kind of like making the whole nation eat peanut butter and bananas for lunch every Monday. I mean...I suppose it could be done, and if it works for your family, good on ya. But why have a goal of 90% of the nation? Who cares what others eat?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
an answer would be how it could work.
You are getting a lot of answers. The answer is, before one would endeavor to answer how to MAKE it work, one first must answer why one would want to. You have gotten an answer you don't like. There is no decent reason to want to make it work.

Last edited by somebodynew; 09-28-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote fail.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM

616 posts, read 854,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
For those of us that are SAHM's, we keep on telling you there are plenty of SAHD's out there already. Capiche?

Exactly which careers are exclusively open only to men in 2011?
Telling me and them showing up in here are to TOTALLY different tings, seen...????

you trying to tell me no Men are online right now? their too busy cooking and changing diapers to find a site like this?

it's not about "exclusive" jobs, it's about jobs we can do that woman cannot. simple math. think about the most dangerous jobs out there and I bet you my house it's 99.5% Men. and you can't argue with that.

now I need to see some SAHD's...one of you said 2 of them lived on your street. then tell them log on and chime in then.

and stop trying to change the subject. this thread wasn't created for you in the first place. but you're still trying to derail and take it over..

women

Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Clearly, this is his agenda. Yawn.

No matter how coherent an answer he is provided; it is rejected.
Wow. I have missed the rejection part. All I have seen is ignoring the answers in favor of repeating himself.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM

616 posts, read 854,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You are getting a lot of answers. The answer is, before one would endeavor to answer how to MAKE it work, one first must answer why one would want to. You have gotten an answer you don't like. There is no decent reason to want to make it work.
No, I'm getting you women trying to speak for the Men. that's what.

where are the SAHD's at? chime in please. I know you're out there. these women said so.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
No, I'm getting you women trying to speak for the Men. that's what.

where are the SAHD's at? chime in please. I know you're out there. these women said so.
Try posting this in a SAHD forum seeing as we are not giving you the answers you want to hear?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 PM

410 posts, read 743,145 times
It shouldn't be any different than having a stay at home mother. As long as your family has a way of sustaining itself it shouldn't matter if the mother or father stays home.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
think about the most dangerous jobs out there
Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

And women do it in the United States Army. In fact one 2nd Looie named Sophie Hilaire holds the Guiness World Record for running the marathon in full battle armor. West Point grad, BTW.

Next?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snadai View Post
Well, one forseeable problem - women have the babies. So if you have this mass revolution - women will still be taking time off for maternity leave. As long as they can afford it, good - but the reason many women work now is that many families can't operate on one income. I'd guess if SAHDs became the norm, there'd be a lot less kids running around.
Less kids running around is not necessarily a bad thing given how over populated the world is. But that said, many of us would like to see the trend toward parental leave for both parties to continue and expand. There is more to parenting than nursing and for some of us there is less to leave than child birth recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting