Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why does hard work always have to end up in earning money? Can't valuing hard work come from getting a job done, achieving a goal, learning a new skill, etc?

Why must it always involve the almighty dollar? Why do some value money so much above all else that we scoff when asked for a donation of it?
Because MONEY is what the kids are asking to have donated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Yes. This is the same thing as a national sports competition. Hope you didn't hurt yourself on that stretch.

to be fair, you did compare donating to a cheer competition to donating to the salvation army. That's quite a stretch too.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Quote:
Why does hard work always have to end up in earning money? Can't valuing hard work come from getting a job done, achieving a goal, learning a new skill, etc?

Why must it always involve the almighty dollar? Why do some value money so much above all else that we scoff when asked for a donation of it?
How do I know how much work goes into a national cheerleading contest? I have no way of gauging that. Maybe they practice 10x a week for 6 hours; maybe they practice once a week for an hour. If I see children washing cars to raise funds then it doesn't matter because if they are willing to work for donations they are probably equally as hard-working in other aspects of their lives.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:

Because if they are old enough and mature enough to be taking these trips then they are old enough to understand that they cost money. They are not free. The money people are donating was earned by the donor. Someone worked for that money. I have no problem donating money to good causes - to those who cannot or are unable to work or who find themselves in unfortunate circumstances beyone their control. Stuff happens. I think most of us get that. Donating money toward trips for able bodied teens is not the same as putting food on the table or helping to pay for treatment for a burn victim. Paying a higher price than I normally might to help a teen trying to earn that trip? No problem. None.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Because MONEY is what the kids are asking to have donated.
That doesn't answer the question as to why their previous blood, sweat and work that has earned them the spot in nationals is discounted in favor of "really" earning it by making money.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
to be fair, you did compare donating to a cheer competition to donating to the salvation army. That's quite a stretch too.
I was answering a post that had brought up the Salvation Army. I was not the originator of that tangent.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
How do I know how much work goes into a national cheerleading contest? I have no way of gauging that. Maybe they practice 10x a week for 6 hours; maybe they practice once a week for an hour. If I see children washing cars to raise funds then it doesn't matter because if they are willing to work for donations they are probably equally as hard-working in other aspects of their lives.
I would suspect any person of average intelligence would understand the amount of work and dedication it takes to be in a national competition of any kind. I don't know how to play chess but I know when someone wins a national contest, the victor must be extremely talented and dedicated.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
That doesn't answer the question as to why their previous blood, sweat and work that has earned them the spot in nationals is discounted in favor of "really" earning it by making money.
IMO, because their previous blood, sweat and work earned them a spot in the competition, not a way to pay for getting there. If someone wants to donate to them, more power to them. I would prefer my kids go the fund raising route, but that's just me.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Because if they are old enough and mature enough to be taking these trips then they are old enough to understand that they cost money. They are not free. The money people are donating was earned by the donor. Someone worked for that money. I have no problem donating money to good causes - to those who cannot or are unable to work or who find themselves in unfortunate circumstances beyone their control. Stuff happens. I think most of us get that. Donating money toward trips for able bodied teens is not the same as putting food on the table or helping to pay for treatment for a burn victim. Paying a higher price than I normally might to help a teen trying to earn that trip? No problem. None.
Of course they understand it costs money. That is why they are asking for donations. The donor may donate as he or she sees fit. Some people have no compunction giving a dollar or two to support a favorable endeavor. Others do. I see that some disagree with me and that's fine. It's their money. I, however, don't have an issue with supporting teenagers that are making productive use of their time.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
IMO, because their previous blood, sweat and work earned them a spot in the competition, not a way to pay for getting there. If someone wants to donate to them, more power to them. I would prefer my kids go the fund raising route, but that's just me.
And I think that if they put that much work into it, they could use a bit of help physically getting to the competition itself.

Like I said before, your money, your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting