Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So basically only well off children should participate in any after school activity that has expenses above and beyond what the district chooses to pay for.
No. I have no problem with kids fundraising. But fundraising should include participating in some way other than begging for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
When my kids were of HS age, the grocery stores sold "scrip" to non-profits. I forget exactly how it worked, but the group got a 5% profit. Now, I see they sell gift cards that do the same. That's far better than going out and hustling for money, or selling candy, magazine subscriptions, gift wrap, etc.

The U of Colorado also had a program (I assume still in existence) that non-profit groups could clean up after sporting events for a certain amount of money.

The GS troop tried a "babysitathon" but the leaders thought it was too much work.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No. I have no problem with kids fundraising. But fundraising should include participating in some way other than begging for money.
And in districts which do not allow fundraising (like mine)?

Due to parental complaints with regards to too many groups fundraising, the only sanctioned fundraising is for class level events (in which everyone participates) and not individual club or sporting events.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
So basically only well off children should participate in any after school activity that has expenses above and beyond what the district chooses to pay for.
Poor children would do well to learn the value of earning money towards a goal.

One of the most successful fundraisers in our town is done by the HS lacrosse team. They offer to pick up and mulch Christmas trees after the holidays. They charge $20.00 to cart it away, and then sell the mulch.

My son's baseball team held a very successful 50/50 raffle. They sold a limited amount of tickets @ $20.00, and then returned half the money as prizes.

There are lots of creative ways to make money with a little effort.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
if you actually read it, it doesn't say that anymore.

I "actually" read your original post. It had "fat mom" all over it. You didn't take the word "Fat" out until a few people mentioned it.

As for the cheerleaders raising money? Who cares. If you want to donate, then donate. If you don't, then don't.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I "actually" read your original post. It had "fat mom" all over it. You didn't take the word "Fat" out until a few people mentioned it.

As for the cheerleaders raising money? Who cares. If you want to donate, then donate. If you don't, then don't.
I'm not the OP

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
It's just tacky to beg for money for a sports team instead of doing some work in return. I see sports teams around here doing car washes and bake sales, among other things. If I am going to donate money for the sake of donating I'd rather do it for a legitimate cause (to feed hungry people, or animals), not so a child can go to cheerleading.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Poor children would do well to learn the value of earning money towards a goal.

One of the most successful fundraisers in our town is done by the HS lacrosse team. They offer to pick up and mulch Christmas trees after the holidays. They charge $20.00 to cart it away, and then sell the mulch.

My son's baseball team held a very successful 50/50 raffle. They sold a limited amount of tickets @ $20.00, and then returned half the money as prizes.

There are lots of creative ways to make money with a little effort.
And lots of districts are disallowing fundraising for clubs or sports.

So now poor kids have to have jobs in addition to school JUST to participate in extracurricular activities.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I avoid my usual grocery store on the weekends, because they allow groups to solicit money as a community service. It all gets to be too much. I'm not a fan of being asked to add $5.00 every time I check out for whatever the charity of the week is either.

But, I never go past a Salvation Army kettle without putting something in.
I know.... by me, it's always either the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Vets (which I honestly don't believe these guys are), or Teen Challenge. ANNOYING..... The kids practically jump you screaming for a donation or for you to buy something. The guys claiming to be "disabled vets", I don't believe for a second. The "Teen Challenge" ---- give me a break. Let their parents pay for their little field trips.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Quote:
And lots of districts are disallowing fundraising for clubs or sports.

So now poor kids have to have jobs in addition to school JUST to participate in extracurricular activities.
That's a problem with the district. They would probably have some legal issues if someone actually pursued the matter and pointed out that is it discriminating against children based on socio-economic status.

I imagine begging for money at the mall falls under "fundraising" and would also be disallowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting