Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Ok now that's just not fair. I'm an uber involved stay at home mom who is talking about ONE hour on ONE day. Saying I'm pawning off my kid is just being mean. I think its fine to disagree but you don't know me, I'm more involved with my kids than the vast majority of parents.
You have a very scary mindset with regards to this. I am guessing you are just naive. Are you saying that NOTHING can happen just becasue it's a ONE hour time frame?? It takes less than a minute to snatch up a kid and run.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
People abuse children in some horrible ways all over the world every day, and THIS has you so concerned?
Yes! Let's just go ahead and make it easier for those folks to abuse another one. Sure, go ahead and dangle the carrot. I give up.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Hmmm...I wonder how you feel about the group of Kindergarteners in my neighborhood who walk home from school together (and ALONE) every afternoon.
That is insane. I know some single parents or parents without other choices allow this to happen, but I can't think of a better way to have a child abducted to be later found carved into pieces.
Totally dangerous IMO.

I would have neighbors or parents close by take turns walking kids back and forth.
I mean, why have children if they have to fend for themselves in kindergarten? Something is wrong for that to happen IMO.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Um, I'm pretty sure the park is within walking distance of the OP's house. The child is not going to Antarctica for the weekend.

If she needs a parent, she can go home.
So you are another one who thinks that distance really matters? As with most accidents that occur 5 miles from the home, so can anything with a child. What is wrong with you people?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Yes! Let's just go ahead and make it easier for those folks to abuse another one. Sure, go ahead and dangle the carrot. I give up.
I said up thread that I'm not comfortable doing it (I have and 8 year old), but I think your reaction is over the top.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
That doesn't happen here. The school doesn't let the little ones leave until they see mom or dad.
That's what I've always seen.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
That is insane. I know some single parents or parents without other choices allow this to happen, but I can't think of a better way to have a child abducted to be later found carved into pieces.
Totally dangerous IMO.

I would have neighbors or parents close by take turns walking kids back and forth.
I mean, why have children if they have to fend for themselves in kindergarten? Something is wrong for that to happen IMO.
Statistically, the child is much more likely to be in a bus/car accident on the way home from school than to be abducted. Food for thought.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I said up thread that I'm not comfortable doing it (I have and 8 year old), but I think your reaction is over the top.
Well thank God someone's is! Better to be super careful regarding defenseless children than to be as apathetic as the others on here.

The reason so many kids are taken or even just beaten up or lost is due to not having enough of a concern!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Beverly Hills, CA?

And you didn't let them play in a gang? Some great place like Coldwater Canyon park? Dang, the au pairs alone would have out-numbered them.
This week there were cars broken into down the block. There is tagging from gangs in some of the alleys. It's everywhere.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
So you are another one who thinks that distance really matters? As with most accidents that occur 5 miles from the home, so can anything with a child. What is wrong with you people?
I beg your pardon? Of course distance matters. Being a short walk from home means that if the child is missing their parents, as you asserted was likely in your last post, then they don't have far to go to find them, do they?

I would also assert that it's most likely that the majority of accidents happen in the home, in the car, and at school. In other words, places where parents and teachers are present.

What do you propose we do about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting