Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 04:29 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Here in CA even the teachers are being busted as predators of kids.

We have 10% of the population and 30% of the welfare.

One out of four are on Medical which is poverty health insurance.

We have tons illegals and criminals from everywhere else all around the state.

There is a lot to fear for good reasons in even the best of parks and elsewhere these days.
So....are you saying that being poor, on welfare, and qualifying for public (poverty) health insurance, makes you more apt to be a sex offender? Seriously... because people with money aren't likely to molest children?! Really? Hmmm Maybe that's not where you were going with your comment, but

Old 05-17-2012, 04:31 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I'm going to bring my almost 8yr old to the park on Saturday and attempt to leave her there for an hour or so (as long as there are other kids around). She can walk home. Does it make me nervous? Heck yes, but I agree with the concept of letting our children have some independence and freedom.

What do you all think about this?

Are Your Kids Safe Alone at the Park? | Healthland | TIME.com
No. If you were to leave an 8yr old at home alone and go out for a couple hours, you could be charged. What if another parent reports you for dropping off the child at the park and leaving. Is this a girl or boy, not that it makes much difference.

BTW...most of the missing children abductions are girls around the age of 11, just something to think about if this is a girl.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
Quote:
My kids don't walk to school, they go to private school so I drive them. The public school kids DO however all walk to school and home together. Since its sanctioned by the public school I'm assuming it's legal.

And interesting to note that more kids are injured in cars on the way to school than kids injured who are walking to school.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM

13,428 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Kids can get themselves when young into trouble so many ways beyond people staking them.
Yes, they can - so how about you do the parenting thing and teach them how not to?

There are all sorts of dangers in the world, we know that, so the only solution is to teach them how to deal with them, not sequester them away.

The worst things that happened to me in my childhood were in the car with a parent, next door to my house with my neighbors, and at home in ways that I won't go into here.

Nothing happened to me as a result of doing things alone in the neighborhood, and I used to catch a city bus 45 minutes to school in the morning from the age of 7. By myself. I rode my bike everywhere, by myself. I went to the playground, by myself.

Strangers are by no means more dangerous to children than known adults or even family members.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My kids don't walk to school, they go to private school so I drive them. The public school kids DO however all walk to school and home together. Since its sanctioned by the public school I'm assuming it's legal.

And interesting to note that more kids are injured in cars on the way to school than kids injured who are walking to school.

Just saw another post saying the park is two blocks from your home, most abductions are within two blocks of the home...just think about it. I'm all for independence in kids, not in a public place alone...sorry.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
If ever there was an indication that events such as this are necessary, it is this thread. People are absolutely obsessed with the notion of stranger abduction, when the risk of a stranger abduction is miniscule when compared to dangers from parents, adults known to children, driving daily in a motor vehicle, dogs, sports.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If ever there was an indication that events such as this are necessary, it is this thread. People are absolutely obsessed with the notion of stranger abduction, when the risk of a stranger abduction is miniscule when compared to dangers from parents, adults known to children, driving daily in a motor vehicle, dogs, sports.
Yes, I believe the Free Range Kids author cites falling out of bed and dying as many times more likely than stranger abduction. Make sure you all use those bed rails!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Of the missing children reports filed each year 99% are found, that doesn't indicate they were still alive. The 1% is 8-10,000 children abducted by strangers.

Sorry, but that still a lot of stranger abductions in my book. But hey, they're your kids, take the chance, its on you.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Of the missing children reports filed each year 99% are found, that doesn't indicate they were still alive. The 1% is 8-10,000 children abducted by strangers.

Sorry, but that still a lot of stranger abductions in my book. But hey, they're your kids, take the chance, its on you.
Uh nope. I was overestimating at 150 stranger abductions a year, the real number is closer to 115. Deaths from stranger abductions number around 50 a year. Tragic yes, but very very unusual.

FAQ: Statistics

STATS: Today show revises number of missing kids downwards

Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
I grew up a free range kid in midtown Los Angeles. If my son were still little I would be participating in this event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting