Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
the fact that the article is available online makes it a stupid idea. Every jerk in the country with internet access now knows there is a campaign to allow unsupervised kids a chance to play without parents around this Saturday.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey! Its leave your house unlocked month! Pass it on!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think encouraging children to be independent is a great gift. This event taking place for the third year, and guess what, no injuries or abductions. If parents choose not to allow their children to participate, then so be it. But if parents choose to participate, leave them be.

Darell Hammond: Leave Your Children at the Park and Your Paranoia at Bay

Take Your Kids to the Park and Leave Them? - The Juggle - WSJ

Take your children to the park this weekend, and leave them there - CSMonitor.com

Take Your Children to the Park and Leave Them There | The Neighborhood Crime Map
You know, it is a sad sad commentary on the state of this country that it has to be "declared" that you should take your kid to the park and let them play there. That's about as bad as my neighborhood, where just about every kid is driven to/ picked up from school that is literally 2-5 blocks away. WTH!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You know, it is a sad sad commentary on the state of this country that it has to be "declared" that you should take your kid to the park and let them play there. That's about as bad as my neighborhood, where just about every kid is driven to/ picked up from school that is literally 2-5 blocks away. WTH!
Agreed LK, it is a shame.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Great idea, in concept, but the fact that the article is available online makes it a stupid idea. Every jerk in the country with internet access now knows there is a campaign to allow unsupervised kids a chance to play without parents around this Saturday.

I might still be tempted, but I would sit in my car, with a pair of binoculars trained on my child.
This is the first year it has been so widely publicized, and I don't think the amount of publicity was anticipated at all. The previous 2 years I think the only people who knew about it or participated were readers of Lenore Skenazy's blog.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is the first year it has been so widely publicized, and I don't think the amount of publicity was anticipated at all. The previous 2 years I think the only people who knew about it or participated were readers of Lenore Skenazy's blog.
Gotcha, I had never heard of it. And, I used to let my kids ride their bikes into town to the ice cream shop by age 8, with a group of friends. I would have no issue with this idea at all, if it wasn't for the publicity, which to me, makes it a somewhat riskier concept.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,650 times
my take on many parents these days... they insist/think they need to constantly be physically present with their kids, however, many are not mentally with them because they are on their phone either talking, texting, emailing, or surfing. How about you sometimes just let your kids play away from you, OR, choose to play WITH them and be mentally engaged with them and only them.
When my kids were little and I pushed them in the stroller, we would practice identifying letters by reading license plates. We talked about the animals we saw. Now I see Mothers pushing stollers chatting to friends on the phone. Really? I don't like how things are going. To me, it doesn't seem to be positive changes happening.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I'm going to bring my almost 8yr old to the park on Saturday and attempt to leave her there for an hour or so (as long as there are other kids around). She can walk home. Does it make me nervous? Heck yes, but I agree with the concept of letting our children have some independence and freedom.

What do you all think about this?

Are Your Kids Safe Alone at the Park? | Healthland | TIME.com
Insane! Do that and you should be arrested. If they would be too young to stay at home alone, they are most certaily too young for everything outside the home without adult supervison.

Forget the new age crap!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Hey, you asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Don't jump down my throat with those questions. Times are much different since we were kids. It is unfortuante but a fact.

Go ahead, drop your kid off for an hour and don't think twice about it. You are wonderful. (Is that better?)
Yes, times are different. Crime against children is down and continuing to drop. So it's even safer than it was when you were a kid.

I am so, so glad I grew up a 'free range' kid. My best memories were running loose with my friends.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Insane! Do that and you should be arrested. If they would be too young to stay at home alone, they are most certaily too young for everything outside the home without adult supervison.

Forget the new age crap!
Wow, I'd never call this kind of parenting new age...more like old age don't you think?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Forget the new age crap!
Really? And what are your thoughts on today's supposedly entitled youth and their inability to do anything - like say get a job - without the help of their parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.