Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Light spanking is not abuse. Let me tell you what is., because we have some kids where I work who HAVE been severely abused. The two year old I mentioned who throws violent tantrums....raped as an infant. Her adoptive brother, the one who screams....crack baby. I also work with a sister and brother that were abused by their mothers boyfriend. The boy had canned food, furniture, etc...thrown at him and beaten to near unconsciousness often. The sister was molested. He is a very violent and ultra sensitive boy. He strikes out aggressively to other kids instead of calmly resolving conflict or telling an adult. He will use his fists on girls or boys. The girl is insecure in a sense, very needy. Most likely because her mother pretty much ignored her. Thank goodness the dad had the kids custody switched to him.
A link to how the Pearl's methods can lead to the death of a child. Try beating a child with plumber's pipe and you can see how this can happen.

From the book itself
Quote:
The Pearls provide instructions on using a switch from as early as six months to discourage misbehavior and describe how to make use of implements for hitting on the arms, legs or back, including a quarter-inch flexible plumbing line that, Mr. Pearl notes, “can be rolled up and carried in your pocket.”
Pastor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 AM

448 posts, read 685,483 times
Sooooooooo does anyone else notice that the title says SPANK?

But yet people are asking "why is she BEATING her child" or "She shouldnt be ABUSING him". Im lost. Where in the story are those terms used?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 AM

63 posts, read 75,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Sooooooooo does anyone else notice that the title says SPANK?

But yet people are asking "why is she BEATING her child" or "She shouldnt be ABUSING him". Im lost. Where in the story are those terms used?
How else are non-spankers going to demonize spanking unless they make it something it is not? They must lie about what it is to make it sound bad, otherwise they have no arguement. Thats how liberals work.

To make a conservative angry, tell him a lie.
To make a liberal angry, tell him the truth.

"He that works deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that tells lies shall not tarry in my sight." Psalm 101:7

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Spanking is only acceptable between consenting adults.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean everyone else is abusing their kids!
It does if you live in a country where doing so is illegal for a start.

Quote:
Like people seriously need to mind their business.
So if you witness a crime you should not report it to the legal authorities because it is not your business? I very much think - and hope - yours in a minority view. If I witness anything that is a crime in my country - be it rape, murder, abuse, violence, fraud - I will very much report it and I see no reason whatsoever not to.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
A link to how the Pearl's methods can lead to the death of a child. Try beating a child with plumber's pipe and you can see how this can happen.
Does the book say "keep spanking them for two hours"?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,559 times
Although I can appreciate anyone whom cares for a child's well-being Spanking is not the best/weakest form of discipline.
STOP, coupling spanking with abuse. The two are of different realms.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Although I can appreciate anyone whom cares for a child's well-being Spanking is not the best/weakest form of discipline.
STOP, coupling spanking with abuse. The two are of different realms.
Based on a intensive review of anti-spanking legislation in sweeden, The evidence suggests otherwise

"The 1979 prohibition of physical punishment in Sweden "adopted the attitude that the lowering of the number of cases of child abuse would be realized only when every form of force exercised against children could be covered by norms of criminal law" (Ziegert 1983:920). Wllliam James, founder of the first psychology laboratory in the United States in the 1870s, stated the principle that we can use our behavior to control our attitudes and beliefs: that, in fact, behavior is easier to control than attitudes and beliefs (Lovaglia 2000). Sweden changed their laws regarding physical punishment, even when it opposed popular opinion. By changing the legal structure of society, Sweden's laws allowed their people to better parents than their initial attitudes would suggest, and since physical punishment and child abuse are so closely linked, they have made significant strides toward reducing physical child abuse in Sweden as a whole."

The Effects of the "No Spanking Law" on Child Abuse in Sweden - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Based on a intensive review of anti-spanking legislation in sweeden, The evidence suggests otherwise

"The 1979 prohibition of physical punishment in Sweden "adopted the attitude that the lowering of the number of cases of child abuse would be realized only when every form of force exercised against children could be covered by norms of criminal law" (Ziegert 1983:920). Wllliam James, founder of the first psychology laboratory in the United States in the 1870s, stated the principle that we can use our behavior to control our attitudes and beliefs: that, in fact, behavior is easier to control than attitudes and beliefs (Lovaglia 2000). Sweden changed their laws regarding physical punishment, even when it opposed popular opinion. By changing the legal structure of society, Sweden's laws allowed their people to better parents than their initial attitudes would suggest, and since physical punishment and child abuse are so closely linked, they have made significant strides toward reducing physical child abuse in Sweden as a whole."

The Effects of the "No Spanking Law" on Child Abuse in Sweden - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
It appears to couple Spanking with Abuse and that is not true.
As stated once before

This following statement is fact. "Spanking" and "abuse" are not interchangeable synonyms. A spanking is not automatically a form of abuse.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprazhm View Post
How else are non-spankers going to demonize spanking unless they make it something it is not? They must lie about what it is to make it sound bad, otherwise they have no arguement. Thats how liberals work.

To make a conservative angry, tell him a lie.
To make a liberal angry, tell him the truth.

"He that works deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that tells lies shall not tarry in my sight." Psalm 101:7
Yea, thats right, this is all about politics.

Last edited by JustJulia; 10-05-2012 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting