Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think (and I am a woman) that this 'you can't hit a girl' thing sends several really stupid and damaging messages to both the little girls and little boys.
I see where you're coming from here, but the fact is that men are physically larger than women. My husband outweighs me by 100 lbs. If he hit me, he could kill me. When I hit him, he laughs at me like it tickles. Shucks, sometimes when he hugs me I have to tell him to take it easy.

Sometimes, a man might have to defend himself against another man. Hitting a man in self defense is reasonable. I'm sorry, though, other than exceptional circumstances (she's a Woman Marine on a tear, for instance) a man should not hit a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 PM

192 posts, read 298,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I probably won't be popular either but I agree with you. At 4 years old, kids are still about equal.
All the proper steps were taken to avoid this.
It's really a case of how long did the teacher think you would let this go on?
Little boys need to be taught yes, you shouldn't hit a girl but you shouldn't let someone bully you either.

Bullies come in both genders and all ages.
The double standard is rediculous. Boys should be treated like girls, and vise virsa.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I grew up in that era of boys don't hit girls. I absolutely do not agree with it.

I have 3 boys, and like most posters here have stated already, obviously avoid the fight, tell the teacher, and tell me too...and if a girl keeps hitting you or whatever, punch he right in the face, and make it hurt.

and then let the school call me, and I will take care of it.

Papa don't play those games anymore.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
When I grew up, not only did boys not hit girls, but girls did not hit other people period. Why is physical violence between children ever ok? Boys did get into fights back in my day, but in my little down, girls did not fight physically. Girls tended to fight verbally.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM

448 posts, read 685,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
When I grew up, not only did boys not hit girls, but girls did not hit other people period. Why is physical violence between children ever ok? Boys did get into fights back in my day, but in my little down, girls did not fight physically. Girls tended to fight verbally.
Boys fighting is just boys fighting. Its pretty much expected of them. Falls under "boys will be boys" category.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
I wanted to make this thread last week, got caught up in the hurricane hoopla.

Really, hear me out.

I have a 4yr old boy. We all know how boys can get. And I like many other parents, tell me son to keep his hands to himself. BUT,if someone hit you, then hit them back.

Except for girls. Yea it sexist, but that's how it is in this society. I tell him if a girl bothers you, or hits you, tell the teacher. You never hit a girl.

This is the situation though. For about 2 weeks, my son tells me a girl in his class is pinching him. I told him to tell the teacher the next day. Apparently he told the teacher, but the girl is still pinching him. So when I dropped him to school, I told the teacher about it. She said she'll speak to the little girl and her mother.

Fast forward a few days, I pick up my son. He has SCRATCHES on his face. At this point, the mama bear comes out of me. OH NO!!! Im LIVID. I send my son to school with a beautful face, I expect him to come home with one. At this point, the "she's a girl" flew out the window. I told him if she touches him again to hit her back.

Long story short, the little girl has a busted lip courtesy of my son. The teacher called me upset that my son hit a girl. Excuse Me? How many times have I told you that this child is bothering my son? Yes I teach my son not to hit girls. I also teach him that he WiLL defend himself against ANYBODY,if he has too.

Was I wrong?
As much as it goes against the way I was brought up, in todays world of equality if a girl or woman physcally attacks a boy or girl, there is no protected status. A woman hits me, she gets it back right away just as if a man hits me. A woman that expect equal treatment in every sense then she should accept just as men do. Take care.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,778,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
I wanted to make this thread last week, got caught up in the hurricane hoopla.

Really, hear me out.

I have a 4yr old boy. We all know how boys can get. And I like many other parents, tell me son to keep his hands to himself. BUT,if someone hit you, then hit them back.

Except for girls. Yea it sexist, but that's how it is in this society. I tell him if a girl bothers you, or hits you, tell the teacher. You never hit a girl.

This is the situation though. For about 2 weeks, my son tells me a girl in his class is pinching him. I told him to tell the teacher the next day. Apparently he told the teacher, but the girl is still pinching him. So when I dropped him to school, I told the teacher about it. She said she'll speak to the little girl and her mother.

Fast forward a few days, I pick up my son. He has SCRATCHES on his face. At this point, the mama bear comes out of me. OH NO!!! Im LIVID. I send my son to school with a beautful face, I expect him to come home with one. At this point, the "she's a girl" flew out the window. I told him if she touches him again to hit her back.

Long story short, the little girl has a busted lip courtesy of my son. The teacher called me upset that my son hit a girl. Excuse Me? How many times have I told you that this child is bothering my son? Yes I teach my son not to hit girls. I also teach him that he WiLL defend himself against ANYBODY,if he has too.

Was I wrong?
No. Sometimes girls can be ruthless. I've seen girl fights that were ten times as vicious as a guy fight would ever be. Guys will at least stop hitting / kicking when the dude they're beating on goes down. Girls? No way. They'll stop at nothing.

I've hit girls before. Each time, I warned them multiple times that they were going to get hit if they continued hitting me. They had ample time to stop. Since they elected not to, I employed my above-average physical strength to put a stop to the hitting. It works beautifully. I've discovered that women sometimes think they enjoy a level of immunity which allows them to operate with reckless abandon where men are concerned, because men won't hit back. Sorry, that's not the way it works.

I believe that boys / men should not hit girls / women cavalierly... mainly because we're often many times the strength of females. But if a female is hitting a male out of malice and will not stop despite being warned, she deserves what she gets. If I tell a woman, on numerous occasions, "stop hitting me or else I'm going to hit you back, and I promise, it will hurt much more than you could ever hurt me because I am much stronger than you are"... and she still doesn't heed the warning... what else will stop her assaults but to make good on my word?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
No. Sometimes girls can be ruthless. I've seen girl fights that were ten times as vicious as a guy fight would ever be. Guys will at least stop hitting / kicking when the dude they're beating on goes down. Girls? No way. They'll stop at nothing.

I've hit girls before. Each time, I warned them multiple times that they were going to get hit if they continued hitting me. They had ample time to stop. Since they elected not to, I employed my above-average physical strength to put a stop to the hitting. It works beautifully. I've discovered that women sometimes think they enjoy a level of immunity which allows them to operate with reckless abandon where men are concerned, because men won't hit back. Sorry, that's not the way it works.

I believe that boys / men should not hit girls / women cavalierly... mainly because we're often many times the strength of females. But if a female is hitting a male out of malice and will not stop despite being warned, she deserves what she gets. If I tell a woman, on numerous occasions, "stop hitting me or else I'm going to hit you back, and I promise, it will hurt much more than you could ever hurt me because I am much stronger than you are"... and she still doesn't heed the warning... what else will stop her assaults but to make good on my word?

This post is so incredibly true! It makes me wonder, with some of these females.... did they get away with it when they were young? Is that why they enter adulthood and STILL think they have that level of immunity? A rock solid warning in my house was always this, "Do NOT hit unless you want to be hit BACK!" You do not hit anyone......period! If you hit, you WILL be hit back. If any of my children walked up and hit one of their siblings and that sibling hit back....it was over! My response? "What did you expect? You hit them first! What? Did you expect them to just stand/sit there and let you hit them? If you don't want to get hit, YOU don't hit!"

To the best of my knowledge, my children never struck the first blow, at school. If one of them got into trouble for defending themselves, and they got in trouble for it, especially if this was something the school had failed to address, previously....my children had my unwavering support and that school had a pi$$ed off mother to deal with!! I don't care what gender you are.....if you don't want to be hit, you don't hit someone else. Everyone has the right to defend themselves....or SHOULD have!!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
At age 4, I get it.

The problem is, though, that men are still on average bigger and stronger than women.

And we are only coming out of an era that tacitly permitted husbands to batter their wives as they saw fit.

"Don't hit girls" may seem sexist, and maybe it is. But if it creates a lifelong taboo against hurting those weaker than you...

Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Interesting read here:

Why telling bullying victims to 'just fight back' doesn't work - CNN.com

This doesn't apply to the OP's situation, but it does point out the danger of just telling kids to hit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting