Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM

128 posts, read 183,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If that were true, pediatricians would be out of business and no one would pursue that course of study in medical school.
They have to find needless specialities. Otherwise there would be unemployed doctors and we can't allow that, can we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
They have to find needless specialities. Otherwise there would be unemployed doctors and we can't allow that, can we?
The concept of preventative medicine a bit difficult to grasp, eh?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The concept of preventative medicine a bit difficult to grasp, eh?
Preventive medicine with children? LOL If something goes wrong, go to a regular doctor. Pediatricians are just excuses so doctors don't go unemployed.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM

My father is a doctor and agrees with me, even though he can't openly admit it. I've never been to a doctor in my life. I just went to a nurse to get shots.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-25-2013 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 08-24-2013, 03:19 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
My son had scarlet fever when he was seven. He'd have been dead without a doctor appoinment and an antibiotic.
Dead? Scarlett fever isn't that dangerous. It can have an auto-immune complication that can potentially be life threatening, but even that is pretty unusual. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get an antibiotic for scarlett fever, you should, but saying that he would have been dead without out it is a pretty big stretch.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:48 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Dead? Scarlett fever isn't that dangerous.... saying that he would have been dead without out it is a pretty big stretch.
My mother's cousin died of scarlet fever as a child before penicillin was discovered.

Yes, some cases are fatal. (MY son happened to have a fever of 103 and his pediatrician was alarmed.) And BTW, there are cases of chicken pox that are fatal....we just don't hear about them as often. And hopefully won't in the future, since there is now a chicken pox vaccination.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Hmmmm...well just for argument's sake. My son had scarlet fever at 4. My daughter had cataracts at 8. Same daughter had pneumonia at 5. My appendix burst at 10. I broke both of my arms before I was 10.
You and your family must be that isolated incident. :-)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
In today's world there is almost no such thing as a general practitioner. If you are seeing an internist and happen to mention a rash which is bothering you he will refer you to a dermatologist. I saw an internist for something pretty routine and asked her to remove a few skin tags. She runs to get some contraption which I think was dry ice. She held it up and said "Um let's see , how does this work?" and all she did was burn the hell out of my neck and the skin tag was left untouched.

I'm old enough to remember 1 doctor for the whole family but with so much technology and pharmaceuticals and advancements in medicine there is no way a family can have 1 doctor. Even dentists are specialized into all sorts of sub specialties. There are special pediatricians for allergies, heart problems, respiratory issues, etc. And BTW John, most "regular doctors" will not see children.

When the child of a doctor boasts about never having seen a doctor in his life and to make fun of those of us who do see doctors, all sorts of red flags go up for me.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
Preventive medicine with children? LOL If something goes wrong, go to a regular doctor. Pediatricians are just excuses so doctors don't go unemployed.
Obviously a remark made by somebody without children!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When the child of a doctor boasts about never having seen a doctor in his life and to make fun of those of us who do see doctors, all sorts of red flags go up for me.
What red flags? And what's wrong with never seeing a doctor? I just had the normal issues every kid has: the occasional fever, vomiting and diarrhea. I stayed home for a few days with mum and granny taking care of me and I was back to school as soon as the fever went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting