Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 12:54 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They were still going to the pediatrician up until 22? Is that a normal age? I remember my mom being told (in a very nice way) that I was getting too old to still be seeing a pediatrician when I was 16.
Now that my son is 17, I asked his pediatrician. He said that he is willing to see them until 22 if they are still willing to see him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
Yeah, a lot will also depend on where you live and the relationship you have with your doctor.

A lot of people that age don't want to wait around with a bunch of toddlers and "kids".

Some feel more comfortable there for the little they need them than establishing themselves at an "adult" doctor.

My physician has a "family practice" office. He's more than comfortable to see our kids now, but understands that the pediatrician is a good option as well. Our pediatrician will see them until they are older. So we basically have a good set of choices.

In my small home town a lot of the adult doctors really didn't put much effort into seeing older teens or kids in college as they typically weren't going to be long term patients and the pediatrician already had the best knowledge of their history

Old 08-09-2013, 05:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Our ped would continue to see kids through college. My kids got to the point they felt ridiculous going there at which time they switched to a family practitioner.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM

57 posts, read 109,656 times
Every yr. Preventive medicine is much less expensive and more successful than fire engine medicine. The scary things w/ bad results will have better results if found much earlier.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My daughter's cataracts had no symptoms whatsoever. We could have waited until her eyesight was affected I guess but the surgery would have been more difficult and the recovery longer.
Well I did take my kids in for symptoms like pink eye and strep throat and I would guess the pediatrician would have found symptomless cataracts and back problems then.

I wonder how young they'll do the surgery for curvature of the spine, for some reason, I didn't think they did that on very young children but waited until teenage.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I did take my kids in for symptoms like pink eye and strep throat and I would guess the pediatrician would have found symptomless cataracts and back problems then.

I wonder how young they'll do the surgery for curvature of the spine, for some reason, I didn't think they did that on very young children but waited until teenage.
I wouldn't think so at all. Part of my kids' annual well visit is having them stand while he closely inspects their backs. He also watches them walk, and the nurse gives an eye exam. They ask a lot of questions about their physical activity, and basically do a whole body exam. None of that happens during a sick visit.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I wouldn't think so at all. Part of my kids' annual well visit is having them stand while he closely inspects their backs. He also watches them walk, and the nurse gives an eye exam. They ask a lot of questions about their physical activity, and basically do a whole body exam. None of that happens during a sick visit.
Well my kids seem to be surviving just fine -- they have zero health problems. It's fine for those who want them I think -- or those who need the reassurance that their seemingly healthy kids really are healthy. And those who need someone to tell them the lifestyle choices they should make. Like one doctor was telling us, he told one of his older patients that he needed to stop smoking, cut back on drinking, lose weight and get some exercise, and the guy looked at him and said "well doc, if I could do all that, I wouldn't need you". Preventative health care can be something you just do for yourself.

Should You Get an Annual Physical? - DukeHealth.org

The annual physical came under fire recently when a medical study suggested it was no longer necessary. The news, combined with recent changes in cancer screening guidelines, left many people confused. How often should you see your doctor for checkups to stay healthy?

“The key is for each person to be responsible for their own health,” says Doyle.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Well my kids seem to be surviving just fine -- they have zero health problems. It's fine for those who want them I think -- or those who need the reassurance that their seemingly healthy kids really are healthy. And those who need someone to tell them the lifestyle choices they should make. Like one doctor was telling us, he told one of his older patients that he needed to stop smoking, cut back on drinking, lose weight and get some exercise, and the guy looked at him and said "well doc, if I could do all that, I wouldn't need you". Preventative health care can be something you just do for yourself.

The annual physical came under fire recently when a medical study suggested it was no longer necessary. The news, combined with recent changes in cancer screening guidelines, left many people confused. How often should you see your doctor for checkups to stay healthy?

“The key is for each person to be responsible for their own health,” says Doyle.
The study you keep referring to was a review of medical records. Although the review was published in 2012, the data was medical records from the 1960s and 1970s. The study was notably one dimensional. For example the mortality numbers from cancer and cardiovascular disease was the same, but the lifespan and quality of life was not quantified. Diagnosis of disease was markedly increased in the group receiving physicals, and again although not quantified, this had to logically increase lifespan.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:56 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They were still going to the pediatrician up until 22? Is that a normal age? I remember my mom being told (in a very nice way) that I was getting too old to still be seeing a pediatrician when I was 16.
Yep, my kids had known the two pediatricians since the kids were in preschool (one doctor examined my youngest after her birth). This team actually saw patients up to age 25, but our insurance cut off at age 22.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:

I don't need a doctor to tell me to eat right, exercise, etc. Cancer, scoliosis, cataracts, vision problems, hearing problems, and many other conditions can not be stopped by maintaining a health lifestyle. They can't be prevented whether you go to the doctor or not. Well checks don't necessarily prevent anything, but they can diagnose and treat as early as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting